3 row suv choices

I much rather have the v6. Gas will go down one day.

1 Like

will it though?

2 Likes

You should always run these calculations with historical average gas prices. Gas probably won’t be 1.50 or 4.50 for most of ownership/lease

For my current vehicle I ran the calculations at $3 a gallon. Of course, when your actual city MPG is 25% below EPA estimate, being off by 15 cents a gallon was the least of my problems.

1 Like

I’ll be happy with the gas and the v6. It’s still better on gas then older models and bigger trucks which I’m used to so it will still save me money.

2 Likes

My family did a 500 mile trip on Highlander XLE (non-hybrid) last summer and we liked it very much. It didn’t have the soft boat feeling like Camry and was comfortable for the highway trip. However, it was not so forgiving on bumpy pavement off. The tech is fine but I find the Hyundai infotainment system much easier to use. People must be referring to the sound of the nature and intercom system. It’s a feature I don’t think I will use but it’s also not a prominent feature of the infotainment system. Its blind spot monitoring and the camera feed that shows blind spot in the dashboard when you turn on the blinker is very helpful.

Smart cruise worked fine in Highlander but I prefer Hyundai lane keep assist and highway driving assist as it doesn’t bounce me off the lanes and really keeps me in the center well and do not overreact or overcorrect my driving.

I go camping every year and the 1500w inverter feature in Highlander Hybrid Platinum is an attractive feature but not a feature I would use often.

Both Highlander and Palisade have enough power to haul family and cargo and are quiet. Palisade does have nicer interior and more room for the second row. Both cars do not have much cargo room when the third row is up.

I do not drive a lot and my fuel cost saving with hybrid is minimum even with the recent increase in gas prices. But if you drive a lot, Highlander Hybrid can save you $$ in fuel cost.

After all, I ended up ordering a Palisade Calligraphy because my dealer was willing to sell it to me at MSRP and Highlander Hybrid Platinum was ~3k more expensive without any markup.

2 Likes

Soft boat like feeling is what you need in certain parts of the country or you’re gonna cringe at every pothole

1 Like

We just did a king test drive of the highlander platinum yesterday. And and after a while my wife said she likes the tech but the way the seats felt and she felt very closed in. She did not like that and she is small only 5”3. I’m 6 foot and kinda of felt cramped too. We don’t feel as cramped in our RX 350. So now it’s thinking of looking at other suvs or being ok with feeling a little cramped and get the Toyota.

Just got refreshed. It’s nice, carplay/aa, good drivetrain, and relatively okay comfort.

I think the issue is that the “just refreshed” design looks like it’s straight out of 2015. It’s a nice step up from the previous generation, but in a vacuum, it doesn’t like a brand new design.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the design I like it but feeling cramped
A little is not a good feeling knowing we are going to keep it for 10 plus years.

Yup… that’s the big issue with the highlander and the cx9.

1 Like

Mazda CX-9 is plain and simple but it does not to me look old. The new cx60 that was jait revealed had almost the same looks. Just a digital display.

2 Likes

It does when it’s lived in a bit and all the plastics show their quality… but I was actually referring to it being cramped

1 Like

any reason not to consider mdx? we’ve had one for 3.5 yrs now(tech trim, 2019 a didn’t drive the new model yet) and are very happy - v6 engine can get juicy when needed (it’s no x5 yet was much better than cx9 and highlander when i tested them, and we ended up with it. 3rd is actually manageable, cargo space is great, excellent road trip car. nav system truly sucks (it’s out of 2002, you can’t even make things out on the map - i’d think they updated it in the new design, but id double check if important to you) and i use carplay exclusively with it.

@perspektive
I like the mdx but I think it’s out of our price range by the time you add in taxes fees and then the little apt for finance it’s going to be too pricey for us.

2 Likes

this is what i was referring to.

wow they put zero effort into this one. looks identical to the previous gen.

i tested one of the new design. personally loathe the trackpad. the fit and finish wasn’t bad and the space was decent. drive was nice but mpg was nothing to write home about. the biggest annoyances were the need for the highest packages to get basic amenities that you would expect, which isn’t that common, and the stupid armrest/charger pad thing which i just didn’t understand.

1 Like

I want to like the Mazda but it’s just the same as 6 years ago. The mdx it’s true, you need expensive packages for things that come in the highlander and cx9 for example. I really want to like the highlander and I do. I think Getting over that cramped feeling is worth it over the competition right now. Or try and look at the palisade again.

totally understand your point about the price. looks like they bumped the price quite a lot from previous body.

The Sorento is a nice vehicle. Comfortable for 4. The 3rd row is small but works for small children. Also makes for a nice storage area since you’re lookng at cargo. We have the SX with the 2.5T and the wife loves the size. Just wish at that price it had memory seats and home link.

1 Like

Home link is easy to add if you care by just swapping out the mirror. Memory seats… not so much.

3 Likes