$25,698 excess wear charge for leased BMW X1!?

Sounds like they didn’t ground the vehicle when you turned it in? I sent you a PM.

I really thought you were BSing for a minute. It’s wild that there’s some of these that sold for less (post rebate) than the MMR back in the loaner blowout days.

2 Likes

Don’t know what the MMR on this was back in January but assuming it was probably at or above the $30k it is now. Meaning the OP left a min of $7k on the table which sucks.

But back to the topic at hand. I can’t understand how a dealer can conceivably bill for an engine when it supposedly seized while in their possession after disposition. The OP clearly drove the car there…

1 Like

@jay3 now this is peak insanity

1 Like

I think it can go both ways.

A discount is just as much a market adjustment as is one that is instead over list.

1 Like

BMW’s lease return inspection was more of a visual inspection of the car (dents, tires, etc), they don’t really inspect the engine. At least not as of my last BMW lease return a few years back. So it’s unlikely that they did something to the engine to cause the ticking.

2 Likes

If the warranty expires on July 31, 2023 as OP mentioned, unless they have a proof that engine failure was due to uncovered mods, abuse or neglect, not sure why/how BMW can ask OP to cover for this repair.

seems like the reason they blame is due to negligence (low engine oil in engine)

2 Likes

OP was calling about original in-service date. Warranty expires exactly 4yrs from that date.

My bad. Did not take trouble to read the sideways notes on diagnosis.

OP, if you have receipt for last (timely) oil change, it may help. (Assuming your were up to date with oil changes).

Engine apparently had only a quart of oil.

There would have been a low oil warning. That would have been easily seen when returning the vehicle.

Something isn’t adding up.

2 Likes

when they say “client”, who is it talking about? who complained the vehicle didn’t start?

1 Like

Good question. I simply assumed the Used Cars Sales side of the dealer.

If the client is OP, then we may not have the whole story here.

2 Likes

My first thought. Good choice. :+1:

Mine was [force the dealer to buy the car]

Im assuming the client is the dealership. I did not complain of the car not starting. It was working perfectly fine when I dropped it off.

1 Like

Would there be a line-item charge for the diagnostic, if the “client” was the dealership itself? Also, why is there a “Cost” column and an “Approved” column?

OP, I would clarify w/ the dealership who the “client” is. And have the last service station pull up your records (b/c, as @pnimith, hopefully that will prove that you serviced the car according to whatever schedule was needed).

You can pull the Carfax report and it will show the date it was put in service (plus/minus a few days). Maybe some dealer here can pull it for you or you can just pay for it.

The warranty is not important right now, but you should still get that info for reference. I assume they are not warranting the work due to negligence. However, that isn’t to say there isn’t an oil leak somewhere.

Get a copy of the full RO (repair order). It should have a date on the top of when that RO was opened. I assume in this instance, the “client” is the dealer.

Second, get a copy of the lease return inspection. On it, there should be a section that shows that no check engine lights (CEL) were on or other service lights. If the car truly had a liter of oil, a light would be on. That should also show when the car was turned in or “grounded”.

You should then proceed with “here is the lease return inspection that shows no service lights on or other chargers on this date. Now on this date, well after the return, the dealer opens an RO showing a seized engine. My inspection shows no actions of negligence or damage and meets the lease return standards. What happened between X date of return and X date of RO is not my issue. Please reverse this charge and give me a copy in writing that this charge is canceled”. If you don’t have any luck on your own, a lemon law lawyer might be a good place to start since they have some experience in this area.

@Frankie_B PM me the VIN and I can pull it.

20 Likes

Do you have a receipt for when you dropped it off? It has a date, right? And it states the miles? Not sure, but I’m assuming the 13726 on that report is the mileage. I’m curious to know how many were on it when you dropped it off.