$25,698 excess wear charge for leased BMW X1!?

They do, but it starts when the vehicle is put into service, not when you lease it.

I had a trainee changing oil in my Subaru once. Apparently he drained, but did not fill it up. I was able to turn around and go back. But I drove for a mile or two, I guess.

2 Likes

I once had a tech fill the oil but not drain it first.

2 Likes

This is better, no? :grin:

1 Like

It happens. A year or two ago a new (local) RAM 1500 had the engine blow up. They apparently failed to put the new oil in, and the guy found out many miles down the road. The truck obviously had to be towed and I think the next county over could hear the service manager. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

He also left the dip stick on top of the engine so at least the extra oil could geyser out of the dip stick tube. Probably kept it from seizing.

1 Like

I was lucky and noticed it after a few minutes. Idiots. I sold that Subaru like a month later.

A BMW lease with positive equity. That’s a really good one dude.

2 Likes

Yup, the date the warranty starts depends on the in-service date.

Since this was a 2019, it is entirely possible when this car was returned the 4/50k warranty had expired.

MY19 production started 7/2018. So depending on when the dealer put this X1 into loaner service, is when the warranty started.

$5k in the green on my M850 6 months ago

Very important key phrase

8 Likes

OP returned his lease in January. It’s entirely possible he had at least some positive equity then

In fact, MMR on his car today is $30k. His residual was $21k + tax in January. So he def had positive equity in January.

30k?? MMR

What type of lawyer would I get for this case? What’s the area?

don’t lawyer up yet. Talk to them again. Stand firm. It was inspected and deemed fine. You still haven’t answered the warranty question, so we can’t speak to that at this point.

Do you know the in-service date on your vehicle? It could have been out of warranty when you returned it.

Calling back and forth with BMWFS right now and the dealership. BMWFS can’t do anything as this is the report they got. I called the dealership and “all managers are in a meeting” so they have to call me back.

We dropped off the vehicle to the dealership on Dec 26, 2022. They did an inspection on Feb 3… what happened in the time inbetween, and what’s to say they didn’t mess up the vehicle.

This document also states that warranty expires July 31, 2023

2 Likes

First thing to do is figure out if the vehicle had 4/50k new warranty coverage when you returned.

Call your dealer and ask what the original in-service date was for your VIN.

MY19 production started 7/2018. If the dealer put the X1 into their loaner service program immediately. It could very well have run out of warranty. That would make this situation a lot more difficult.

1 Like

Yeah I’m just trying to get through to someone on the phone who can actually help me. After calling BMWFS, their supervisor was “unavailable” and the agent wasn’t able to do anything but offer 25% off. They said I would have to call the dealership.

Called the dealership and no one is available to answer any questions. They’ll call me back. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Trying to figure out the warranty.

Is there somewhere I can check the warranty. My account on BMW has no info, and so far I can’t reach anyone on the phone for this info.