2023 Volkswagen ID.4 now starting at $38,790

The battery components requirements kicks in as soon as “The Secretary” (not sure which one) provides “guidance”. The deadline for this guidance is January 1, 2023, but it could come before that.

2 Likes

Any dealer in CA giving any discounts? Can this be leased and 7500 applied?

On an ID.4!? Good luck.

lol yes. That’s what I meant.

My magic 8ball says no. :8ball:

Promising new news regarding VW

Hopefully this checks the third box needed for VW to retain the full $7500 tax credit for their ID.4. But of course we’ll have to see it to believe it.

2 Likes

I put a deposit before for an AWS pro S, now they asked me to put another $400 for production, does it still worth? I can get 10k for tax credit and state rebate though.
so total would be $42k after rebate. Hard to convince myself a VW can cost 42k and it doesn’t have much features.

The federal tax credit is only $7500, additionally unless your dealer made you sign a binding purchase agreement on or before 08/16/2022, your 2022 on order is no longer eligible for any tax credit.

Additionally, you’re buying an EV and currently EVs cost most to purchase than a comparable ICE. That EVs cost anywhere from 10-20k more expensive than comparable ICE equivalents.

While you are paying a high starting cost, you are also saving around less than 1/3 of what a comparable ICE vehicle spends on gasoline annual on electricity. Also factor in no regular oil changes and other typical ICE maintenance items.

1 Like

How long did you have your initial $100 deposit in before they asked for your $400 production deposit?

They guaranteed this will be MY23 which built in TN, so it’s qualified, next year I will be disqualified because the income cap. Another $2500 is from my state.

So you’re saying I paid $20k more($10k after rebates), but it won’t save any money :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

about 3 months

Stupid question (the only kind I know) - just got the email asking me to put $400 more in to lock in my build order. Is there any downside to this other than lost opportunity cost of $400 I’d probably spend on scam crypto?

No… it’s fully refundable… got it back 2 days after cancelling my 2022.

1 Like

Fully refundable up to delivery, you can see it, drive it’s decide you don’t want it, and get your $500 back. Big reason why a lot of my clients have decided to proceed with their ID.4 order.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick responses. I have orders in for the Silverado EV (2024? 25?) and the Fisker (who knows if it’s ever even built). Lease is running out soon and I don’t want to buy my car.

I don’t qualify for the revised EV tax credit anymore unfortunately.

Why not? The income requirements don’t kick in until next year I believe.

1 Like

Since you’re locking this week, you delivery estimate is probably Nov-Jan. If you’re lucky and get your car this year, you’ll be fine. Regarding your other orders, unless you have a signed buyers order dated before 8/16, then you won’t get anything due to your income. Only thing that went into effect immediately is North American assembly which the 2023 ID.4 will qualify for.

1 Like

Supposedly delivery Q4 this year. I’ve heard both ways on the income cap - that it either kicked in Aug 16 or didn’t. I’m not smart enough to figure out which is right. Would be great if the income cap was a 2023 thing.

Went ahead and put the $400 in. I have zero confidence the Fisker order being “non refundable” for $250 actually will make it qualify. And only limited confidence the car will exist next year.

The only thing that kicked in on Aug 16th was the North American final assembly requirement. The income cap is effective Jan 1.

1 Like

It’s a 2023 thing.

1 Like