2023 Volkswagen ID.4 now starting at $38,790

Ah, so it’s just increased DC Fast Charging on the higher capacity battery? If so, even mainstream car mags seem to be getting this mixed-up (and frankly, it’s not even clear in the press release):

The more expensive Pro models come standard with DC fast-charging capability, which makes juicing up at public charging stations relatively quick and easy. The Standard trim doesn’t get that feature, so if you’re not able to install a level 2 charger at your home it would be best to avoid this model.

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/id4

Man, caranddriver themselves say “The larger battery also benefits from an increased 170-kW fast-charging capability. The company doesn’t provide estimated charging times for the smaller battery, but it does make Plug and Charge standard”.

Cant even get their own story straight.

1 Like

It’s Volkswagen, whadya expect from the tdi company, or got fined 600million euros for colluding with bmw for emissions

2021-2022 models have the same 82kWh battery, 2021 models debuted with 125kW max speed DCFC, capable to do 135kW with a software update that only the 2022 currently, the 2023 models with the 82kW battery will have the upgraded 170kW DCFC, not sure about the specs just yet on the 62kW Standard & S.

1 Like

As I won’t be eligible for the 2023 rebate, I made a 2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S reservation playing the roulette it will arrive this year.

Feels unlikely it would deliver this year though with the backlog of orders.

Exactly, I was thinking the base model has just been introduced (and made in TN so shorter shipping time) so should have the smallest backlog on orders and thus highest chance of being delivered this year.

Anyone put their order in for a 2023? What estimated delivery quarter did it give you?

My standard order doesn’t show ETA in delivery tracker, just says Reservation Confirmed. Every dealer I spoke to guesstimate 6 months +

Same here. I had a delivery estimate when my order was a MY22 but when it got converted to MY23, delivery estimate has disappeared.

6+ months is accurate… these prob won’t come until spring 2023 at the earliest.

Anyone know if these come with free (trial) charging?

Yes, the same 3 years, 30-minute DCFC sessions with EA as the 2022s. The 30-minute limit can be bypassed if you unplug and replug after 30 minutes (for now)

I didn’t realize they changed the terms for 2022. I had a 2021 ID.4 that had flat out unlimited charging with no time limits. I currently have a BMW i4 that has the unlimited 30-minute sessions. You can plug/unplug to reset the 30 minutes but it’s a pain having to go back out to the car and waiting for the station to reset itself for the next session.

I don’t think they will take away the ability to plug/unplug because there are so many EA chargers that are not operating properly (not charging at the right speeds). If you’re at the only stop along a highway travel route, and the charger is not charging at high speeds, you have no choice but to wait. If the charger is supposed to charge at 150kW but cars are only getting 45kW, people would have a legit complaint for having to pay for a longer session…on top of having to waste more time waiting.

Email today from VW directing customers to work with the dealer on quickly drafting a purchase contract.

Dear David,
Today, Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (“the Act”), substantially changing the requirements for federal income tax credits associated with the purchase of an electric vehicle. We want you to be as informed and comfortable as possible throughout the process and to continue to be excited about your reserved Volkswagen ID.4!
Currently, Internal Revenue Code Section 30D (“Existing Law”) provides a credit for Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles, including passenger vehicles and light trucks of up to $7,500 (“EV Tax Credit”)1 . While uncertainty remains, we would like to provide some information and suggestions as events continue to develop rapidly. Please consult your own tax or legal advisor for further advice.
Vehicle Eligibility
First, some background on vehicle eligibility. Volkswagen expects but cannot guarantee, that each of the Model Year 2022 and Model Year 2023 ID.4 vehicles meet the requirements for EV Tax Credit qualification under the provisions of 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. So, based on the Act’s transition rule (transitioning from the current EV Credit to the new and different EV credits), the best chance for a customer to be eligible for the current EV Tax Credit is to enter into a “written binding contract to purchase” (more on that below).
Volkswagen cannot guarantee that any vehicle will ultimately qualify for the EV Tax Credit or that the Act’s transition rule requirements will be met. Individuals must still meet all of the eligibility requirements to receive any tax credit, which includes several factors such as personal income tax situations. Additionally, EV Tax Credits are only available on vehicle purchases (not leases).
“Written Binding Contract to Purchase” Language from Act’s Transition Rule
While there is no guarantee that any individual will receive an EV Tax Credit when they purchase a Volkswagen ID.4, the “written binding contract to purchase” requirement means that it is highly likely that those with only reservations (and without a purchase contract) will lose or risk their ability to claim the EV Tax Credit under Existing Law. The law suggests, though, that you can take steps to try to reduce that risk.
If you would like to increase your chances of being eligible to claim the EV Tax Credit under the Act’s transition rule, you may elect to enter into a “written binding contract to purchase” for the ID.4 you have reserved with your preferred Volkswagen dealer before the Act is signed into law (which could happen in the next few days). If the requirements of the Act’s transition rule are met, the EV Tax Credit would be able to be claimed in the year the vehicle is placed in service.
It’s important to note that reservations are not currently considered or addressed in the Act and that Volkswagen of America does not contract for the sale of vehicles directly with customers in the U.S. Instead, we use our franchise dealer network for the distribution and sale of vehicles to customers, which is why we have suggested contacting your dealership to hold those discussions.
We also ask that you understand that there will likely be many other ID.4 reservation holders that will be contacting their preferred dealership in the coming days to discuss establishing contracts. Like all of us, Volkswagen dealers have been working to understand what these changes can mean and preparing to best support their future ID.4 owners through this process.
We want you to love your ID.4! We also think it’s just as important that you understand and are comfortable with the terms of any agreement that you enter. We hope that this message includes helpful information for you to consider. If you have questions about this information, Existing Law, the Act, or your current or future eligibility for any EV tax credit, please consult with a tax and/or legal advisor before deciding what to do.

Best Regards,

Volkswagen of America, Inc.

2 Likes

Unofficially if the session were to “fail” you can plug right back in and it resets the timer.

Officially the cool off time is one hour between sessions.

1 Like

Only a concern for people with locked 2022 orders that haven’t received their vehicle yet. All new orders / non-locked reservations are 2023, presumably all trims built in TN, should qualify under the new credit

But, no clear info on battery manufacturer and material sourcing. It may be only half.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but what I’ve been told and was advised, the battery guideline requirements specifically don’t take into effect immediately. The date is still TBD but the new tax credit would take into effect 01/01/23. It’s really all still speculation.