2023 IRA EV/PHEV Lease Credit "pass-through"

Audi, vw, ccap, mbfs, ally (ally amount varies by model).

1 Like

First post lays out Ally and the brands and amount.

Mercedes Financial also does the $7500.

Other posters say Audi.

As posted in another thread, I received the below message back from Tesla via text this morning----

“The Tax incentive would not apply to leasing. Only cash or finance purchases”

If this is the case, Tesla would really really love for someone to open up a lease so they can make an extra 7500 bucks :grin:

EDIT- It does appear on a 36/10 that they bumped the 2023 M3 residual to 66% though. I believe it was 64% last month? MF is 0.002335.

EDIT 2 - On my deal last month the RV was the equivalent of 65.6% with the partial (residualized) $3750 credit applied. MF was 0.002238. So, Tesla may be partially baking in the EV credit to the RV. With the price reduction, the lease may end up being similar to last month…but (barring ones desire to weather depreciation), buying and getting the full $7500 may still be a better approach (if they can stomach owning an EV…I really cant TBH).

2 Likes

That link is for consumer purchases.

This thread is a loophole around those requirements because of leasing.

There are multiple posts that explain the difference.

1 Like

Yeah I just confirmed the same thing with 2 Tesla dealerships in NY/NJ. They are NOT applying the 7.5k tax credit to the lease. And with the final orders to hit the March deadline coming through now, they don’t need too. So buy it and get on with it.

3 Likes

Theyre correct… there is no tax credit you would claim on a lease

1 Like

Bummer they didn’t pass it! Would have been some epic leases if they applied the whole thing on a 36/10.

1 Like

Wish Ford would wake up and allow RCL leases to kick back the $7500 as a cap cost reduction.

That would seal it for me as my MME is incoming and since tax is paid on the monthly, it would be one heck of a deal!

Plus I get the $6500 PCO for the model year transition.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a straight up $7500 tax credit still be better, even if you had to wait for a year to get it?

If they opt to pass credit on leases then who will opt to buy them. Most will lease instead of buying…

But if you want to bypass all the restrictions on a purchase, a lease pass through (pass along?) could be better.

1 Like

Yes…but Tesla sells the car either way (and with a lease they have a guaranteed flow of cars coming back to sell (or use for
other purposes) every 24-36 months), if that is something they want.

Pretty safe assumption it is with their “no buyouts” clause

2 Likes

Yes that was my assumption as well since they are very specific in this regard. With that in the back of my mind, I was kind of hoping they would pass the 7500 to motivate people to lease. Perhaps they already have sufficient numbers of cars coming back.

Where can you find the residuals and MF on tesla leases?

There robotaxi plans may not be going too well

1 Like

I think they seeing used tesla mkt prices droping so they dont want a huge inventory in their hands of returned leased teslas. Looking 2 to 3 years ahead.

iIf you pick a car and then click on details, you will see leasing information.

If you buy then yes $7500 credit is good (like my 2022 Lightning I am filing for next month).

But if you lease, then that credit goes to the leasing bank.

If Ford kicks back the $7500 as a cap cost reduction like VW, Audi, Mercedes are doing then more people who don’t qualify or vehicles over the max MSRP will qualify.