2023 Ford Explorer ST discount?

, ,

Good Morning,

I’m looking into leasing a leftover 23 Ford Explorer ST AWD and a local dealership is showing about 20 of these in their inventory still. Does asking for a 15% discount off of MSRP seem reasonable for this? Anyone have any recent experience in leasing one of these and what kind of discount they got. Thanks.

Asking for 15% off in Florida

Frustrated World Cup GIF

3 Likes

Yeah, I know it sucks here for leases.

On a somewhat “hot car”
Best I found in California was X plan and on an order
X plan will cap those FL fees so treat it as a greater discount for you

1 Like

Is there lease support on these?

I don’t, personally. There is a reason you don’t see folks posting about lease deals on this vehicle. What type of discount are you targeting? Is the dealer listing any discount online?

Have you compared numbers on a 2024 model?

I’m waiting on the April lease numbers now. The dealer was showing a 10% discount off of MSRP on their website on 23 models with about 18 ST models still in stock.

Even if you are able to get that much off, if the RV and MF suck, then the lease will be terrible.

Have you thought about financing one at the right discount? Looks like Ford is offering 1.9% over 60 months.

2 Likes

I haven’t thought about a purchase. I usually like to lease. I guess I will see what they offer in April and go from there. I’m hoping they are looking to deal since they have so many 23’s still on their lot and the refreshed 25 model is right around the corner.

As a bank, FMCC suck at leases. They are the ones setting RV, buyrate MF and incentives.

So any discount that comes from the dealer being motivated — that’s not really sufficient to make a good lease.

Midway Ford in Miami is listing 10% off on their on site and 13% off on the e-Listing sites. I feel like you can probably beat them down to ~18% if you were really motivated on the last day of the sales quarter to take one of their 18 lot-rotting ST’s off their hands.

I agree with you, the dealerships need to move these aging units and you can get a good deal if you find a willing seller. Unfortunately FL is a really rough auto market, and I don’t know how close you are to Miami.

https://www.midwaymiami.com/new/Ford/2023-Ford-Explorer-28ba14fd0a0e087f0336f149e5ba131a.htm

The standard 3-year lease vs buy comparison favors buying when your willingness to stay in your Ford Explorer extends beyond the normal 36 month lease window. Yes, the financing rate is cheaper, but you’re giving up manufacturer rebates when you take the subvented intererest rate and you’ll lose out on lease loyalty. If you are confident that it’s likely you will sell your Ford after 36 months, and roll into a new one, all the cash you tied up making principal loan payments instead of lease payments will not be worth it.

Edit: It looks like 2023 Ford Explorer lease support is over from Ford Motor Credit.

1 Like

Thanks for the input its pretty much what I was thinking. So they have stopped lease support now in April is what you are seeing. Where can I find that info, Edmunds ?

You’ll definitely need to reach out to your dealer to confirm… it’s tough to figure out which brands do a hard-close on a calendar basis or which brands allow some straggler days to still count toward metrics from the previous quarter.

If you’re not 100% committed to getting an Explorer ST AWD right now, you can probably hang tight and get some really good deal to buy a 2023 close out in Q2.

Metro Ford has an almost identical red ST AWD. They also want to get rid of this. Just offer 15% to 18% off MSRP to take delivery before sunset for both … and see which one bites. If you’ve already lined up financing from a CU or your bank, it’ll be an even easier transaction for everybody. If neither bite, wait a few weeks… there’s no shortage of Explorer ST near Miami.

I’d like to wager this is not real

1 Like

Lol now @BMES305 really needs to try and go get one of these Explorers today. I hope he’s near Miami.

Maybe if this was the basic m lite
Explorer st-line
But the st? No way :rofl:

Haha, dude it’s a Ford. You can fit lots of trunk money in the back.

2023 close-out ST’s are listing for like 15% off outside of the FL area. Yeah the dealers will probably try some BS to make up some back end margin, but it wouldn’t make sense to offer less than 15% off the front end if someone’s willing to sign now. Especially if lease support really is dead.

These are basically used cars now, and 2023 ST’s list for more than 20% off MSRP with low miles.

1 Like

Helping a friend on 2023 ST. If all goes well I’ll post deal later. You can definitely still lease a 2023 as of today. I’d be shocked if you can manage more than 12%. FL dealer ads are BS, been there done that.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s likely the dealers “know what they have” and the buyer “is out of their mind asking for more than 15% off MSRP.” But for year end close outs, I believe the smartest comp for the buyer is taking a sub-5k miles used car with 1 previous owner (not a loaner/demo). Even in FL, used ST with low miles are listing at 15% off MSRP. Here in NorCal, the list for a low mileage 2023 model year used ST is 17% off MSRP.

The thing about used car lots is they know they have to blow out these mildly used almost-new vehicles ASAP, since every 30 days it sits on their lot they are getting killed with the depreciation. It’s not like a 5 year old car where a few extra weeks on the lot won’t affect the net price. Every week this thing sits there, it’s just hemorrhaging value.

But the new car side is the same. While the dealership does get more trunk money from the manufacturer, there hits a point where they’re getting slammed on their metrics or getting worked over by their flooring line to move the old stock.

Why would any buyer give their money on a “new” ST that is still getting trunk money from Ford for only 12% off MSRP? The buyer is literally doing the dealership a favor taking a car nobody has wanted for the last 200+ days. The dealer isn’t going to see net pricing go up on 2023 close outs… it will only get worse the longer they hold their bags.

3,200 miles on the odo - original sticker $60.6k

3,000 miles on the odo - original sticker $61.8k

1 Like

While I agree with you dealers should technically be blowing these out, the situation on the ground is not like that at all. Considering you can get a new one for 10% off, a low interest rate (2.55%) and $1250 incentives, using your 60k sticker example that would be $52750 vs a used one at 51k. Plus you’re subjecting yourself to depreciation, full taxes, higher interest rates, and higher payment so I’d say there’s no real value in financing a used one imo unless you have a significant discount.

2 Likes

Sorry when I say 15% or 18% off MSRP, that is including all incentives/rebates. I don’t mean to ask for 18% off MSRP as a dealer contribution then try to get an additional $1,250 off from consumer rebates.

Using your example, it’d be more like 13 to 15% of dealer contribution (combination of front end margin, holdback, and factory-to-dealer trunk money). Then applying a $1,250 consumer rebate as well.

I know the EQS Superthread kind of started this idea, where asking for a discount from dealer contribution was the primary negotiation target… but I think the EQS is kind of a bad example for a normal vehicle since it’s net pricing is all manner of effed up.

Once a car goes to auction, I don’t think anyone cares how many former owners it had hehe. Dealer’s going to get worked over if they shift a car over to used, do a dealer swap, or blow it through Manheim.