2022 VW Tiguan - Good Deal?

I will be starting a job with a new company in 2 weeks, so I need to turn in my fleet vehicle and purchase something. With that being said, I went to a VW dealer today and had 2 options for the Tiguan:

Purchase:
Location - NJ
2022 VW Tiguan S
MSRP - $29,770
VW Partner - $500 discount
State Tax - $1972.23
Reg/Title Fee - $302
Doc Fee - $498
Total - 32,050
Down Payment - $3000
Total Financed - $29,050
Monthly Payment - $455.40 (72 months)

LEASE OPTION 48 MONTHS:
MSRP - $29,770
Sale Price - $29,270
Down Payment - $3000
Residual - $15,480
10k miles/year
Monthly payment - $428

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Is the VW partner discount coming from the manufacturer?

https://www.sutliffvolkswagen.com/inventory/new-2022-volkswagen-tiguan-2-0t-s-awd-4d-sport-utility-3vv0b7ax5nm105606

This one is advertised $1000 off.

1 Like

Great find! Not too far of a drive.

The $500 is a discount since my employer is a VW partner so they have some kind of corporate program.

VW partner should be $500 under invoice

1 Like

VW partner is $500 under invoice, not a $500 discount. Make sure it’s applied correctly as it will be a much bigger discount than just $500 off MSRP.

1 Like

Thank you and @GarganoP !! Just downloaded my certificate. Curious to see what they say Monday because they were just applying it as a $500 off of MSRP.

What’s the monthly payment?

My bad - $428

So that’s $428 X 47 + $3,000 = a 23,000 lease for a car that can be bought for $29k plus 6.625% tax?

Clearly the answer is no to that.

2 Likes

Yikes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Might go the Mazda CX-5 route since it’s a lower cost.

The lowest total cost of ownership in that segment will probably be the Toyota RAV4 or Corolla Cross.

1 Like

In theory, however not a single dealer in 2022 will grant that. Some won’t even honor the program at all.

$500 off MSRP is pretty much all you’ll be able to get at this point.

I’m seeing plenty of Tiguans discounted $1,000-1,500 online. A dealership can choose to accept or not accept the program but they shouldn’t lie to the customer about what the program does.

Not sure how much of that ‘discount’ is real vs random rebates like college grad etc. or maybe $1k discount but $2k of hard adds.

As for the program, they only get $500 from OEM, the invoice deal isn’t required for the dealer to do and none will do it right now.

1 Like

Update - got another $500 off by saying I wasn’t interested anymore. Went ahead and purchased the vehicle! Thanks for the feedback everyone

7 Likes

Damn this is hard to read lol. The lease on my 2019 VW Tiguan SE is up next month and I’m still deciding what to do… my current lease is $325, $0 down, $ 0 security etc., and seeing that the model below mine with a down payment, an extra $100+ a month is potentially what I’m looking at if i want another Tiguan.

1 Like

Congrats! Enjoy the Vw!

1 Like

We are in the same situation with my wife’s 2019 Atlas lease. A new one would probably be at least $600/month and we are currently paying $399/month. Will have to purchase it at the residual of $25k.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s ridiculous.

My dealership has a Memorial Day sale on and comparing your guesstimate, to their sale… is pretty spot on. $539/$4000/ 48 months so rolling the 4k into monthly works out to be a little over $622. Ouch. I also haven’t come across many 24/36 month leases atm, they all seem to be 48+ which for me is a hard pass.

My first VW lease was 24/10k miles (yearly)- it was perfect.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m currently paying $359/month for my 2019 SEL with a 3rd row. $0 down and $0 security originally. I called a few dealers since my lease is ending soon and they flat out said they couldn’t even get me a Jetta for that payment right now. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I decided to extend my current lease for 6 months to have more time to decide. I’d love to hop into another Tiguan because I hate test driving cars and dealing with salesperson BS through the process. We’ll see what happens. I know there’s always the option to purchase the car, but I don’t want to commit to that just yet.