2022 Tesla Model Y, Lease vs Buy, No buyback option

Depends on how law written. Nothing determined yet.

Yes. Because there is a possibility that the delivery could be pushed back to May - June. Thatā€™s too long of a wait. I ordered in July last year, waiting another 4-8 months is too much.

There is a chance that the federal credit is retroactively applied. Maybe not, I will take the chance.

Iā€™m going to put down a pre-order on another EV right now. Now that Iā€™m not leasing, I can swap stuff out.

There is nothing in the current language that points to this being a thing.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t done a ton of research on this, but Iā€™ve seen it mentioned in articles that the senate version allows for that, but of course, nothing is final.

Some links:

'Build Back Better Act' passes House, EV tax credit faces US Senate next | Electrek (removal of 200k cap may be orthogonal to the date).

Nothing is final of course, and hence I said that thereā€™s a chance.

Thereā€™s nothing in it that makes it retroactively applied. Itā€™s very specific about it applying to vehicles acquired after 1/1/22.

There was one very early talking point when they were starting to discuss what would go into this that talked about retroactive application and people have just ran with it. It hasnā€™t been on the table for quite a while.

3 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

If there was any indication that the delayed delivery would be sooner than later, Iā€™d do it in a heartbeat, but having to wait till summer 2022 is too much.

Has anyone done this?

Leasing a Y. Why?

EV tech is evolving so rapidly and I like not having to worry about resale value if some jackass hits me. Trading in a car with a bad Carfax is a nightmare.

Thatā€™s a valid point, but I think on a spectrum of price/benefits, the Tesla lease is a bit on the pricier side.

1 Like

In general, I agree with your strategy. In the case of the tesla, it conflicts with the reality of the situation

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d file this under ā€œI wanted one, so I got itā€

You shouldā€™ve seen the MachE lease quotes I was getting. The Y turned out to be a bargain! :rofl:

1 Like

How were they? Iā€™m considering that as a second optionā€¦ (but probably an F150 Electric)

Well I was seeing $10-15k markup. It wouldā€™ve been cheaper to lease a Model X. Thatā€™s how bad the numbers were.

1 Like

Yikes. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really saying something.

Donā€™t lease with us bank ; to purchase the car early, they want 2000 even though theyā€™re getting all the money early! They just make up numbers!

1 Like

There is no purchase the car early (or ever) with a tesla model y lease.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.