2022 Tesla Model Y, Lease vs Buy, No buyback option

S class doesn’t depreciate anymore

4 Likes

You locked in a good price and should have equity in it right away. Finance.

This is new to me, I’ll check it out, although the monthly payment amount is not the issue.

I’m getting a sense for that. On the other hand, Tesla has been rated as the most unreliable manufacturer by Consumer Reports, so I don’t know if I want to own one.

Well, if you buy it, and it proves unreliable, you can easily sell it. If you lease it, you’re stuck.

1 Like

I just saw a dude post on FB that he’s doing his third cross country trip with his 2019 model 3 SR+ (240mi range). That has 250k miles and only lost 10miles range.

That’s all the reliability data I need.

Not that I’m of the opinion that teslas are junk, but there are different things to consider in terms of reliability. For example, electronics, HVAC, transmission/engine/motor, suspension and so on.

But thanks for sharing that anecdote, certainly good to know.

Also, true and something at the back of my mind.

If you can do a $14,500 down payment, your monthly will be the same. Leasing makes no sense. Finance.

1 Like

Monthly is not the issue, effective cost is. Thanks!

If it’s on Facebook it must be true!

2 Likes

Then you wouldn’t want to lease one either.

It’s not like leasing something makes an unreliable car magically more reliable. And it’s not like Tesla build quality is news to anyone at this point, nor has it hurt resale value.

1 Like

That’s not quite true. I would lease a highly depreciating car, but not buy one. I’m not sure if Teslas are highly depreciating yet because covid related supply chain issues have skewed all metrics.

The point is most barely hold their cars here and barely put any miles on them but still sound like they want them to last a million miles, and got for bit the fart button malfunctions, consumer reports will give them 0 for electronics category.

Decided to buy the car, indeed, leasing makes no sense given the numbers here. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Did you need it so bad now to pass up on 8-12Kish in fed tax incentives?

At most it could be $7500 as currently written.

If you order now, and pick up in January, would you still get those rebates in theory?

Yes. Assuming they pass the bill before end of year.

$0 now with Tesla from Feds.