2022 Tesla Model 3 VS.....Other Cars!?

This is very interesting.

I wonder what it would look like for an electric Hummer versus a gas H2.

For homeowners with solar panels and TOU plans, EV is much cheaper.

$0.09/kWh from 12am-6am.
during peak hours you can sell generations back to the grid at a much higher rate ($0.50/kWh in the summer)

With a 8kw system some people end up with $0 yearly electricity cost (including ~10-15k miles charging at home).

Also need to consider the opportunity cost of waiting at a Costco gas station.

2 Likes

Huge problem for me…word is out Costco gas is the only gas worth buying, good for Costco, bad for me. Even scattering my commute timing doesn’t improve the 10 -15 minute and climbing wait times Line rage is a thing.

Costco gas lines have become absurd. I was so spoiled during covid now with everyone driving again unless you go right when costco opens in the morning there is a line.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Teslas will be able to charge from CCS stations soon. Tesla already offers a CCS adapter in Korea, so only a matter of time before they offer it stateside. I believe a handful of owners in the states have managed to acquire the Korea-only CCS adapters and used them successfully to charge at CCS stations.

Hope it doesn’t happen, Teslas already dominate J1772’s, even shared at 3.5kW, in my area, leaving other EV’s and PHEV’s searching for available plugs. Elon enjoys his walled garden (Apple anyone?) until he sees the grass is greener, which is proof the grass is getting greener.

Thank you for running the numbers. As gas goes higher it would make sense that EV would be a better bet.

Wow i’m in such a bad position I can’t figure out what to do…

Unless you’re in NorCal…PG&E is expected to raise rates by over 20%, and the CPUC is allowing the gradual increases to get there (and more). Interestingly, profits dropped by about the same amount for roughly the same reason: wildfires.

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to say I went ahead and purchased my Tesla Model 3. Ended up being 60K but I’m buying it instead of leasing it. I’m putting down 40K and 20K financing so my monthly payment will be 300 buxx. I’ll pay it off probably in a year so I have no car payments for a while! Sadly it’ll be ready in May!

Why not try to get one right now using the waiting for Tesla Discord and lock in a low rate(DCU is doing sub 1.5%). Putting $40k down on a Tesla sounds crazy.

What is that waiting for Tesla Discord exactly? can you give me more info on that?

Money is cheap to borrow but interest is still interest… But if you have no better place to park the money/higher interest loan somewhere else I guess it makes sense.

Yeah it due to the interest being high at 2.74% it didn’t make sense for me to pay the interest. I’ll pay most of it and finance just a bit so I don’t pay a lot interest and most likely I’ll pay off the rest next year anyways… so I’ll have no payments for couple years and I may sell the car in 2-3yrs who knows how long I’ll keep it for…

If you actually want to get a Tesla quickly, follow this post How to get a New Tesla FAST -- WaitingForTesla Discord

You can probably get one tomorrow depending on where you are.

You don’t have to use Tesla Finance you know. DCU is 1.49% for EVs, upto 65 months.

2 Likes

Oh wow! I just applied for Tesla Finance and already got a hard inquiry on my credit. That sucks. No one has called me yet tho. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

OMG THANK YOU!!! I didn’t know this. What is DCU exactly? and my loan is 72 months. Would they do more?

All auto loan inquiries within a certain time frame count as one inquiry. For Experian that time frame is 14 days.

1 Like

When not actively looking for credit, it’s strongly recommended to freeze all your credit through the three bureau. Unfreeze them only when you are looking for credit and lender requests you to unfreeze.

1 Like

65 for best rates but one of the Carolina CUs is doing 1.99% for upto 84 months. That discord has an entire channel dedicated to it.

1 Like