2022 Tesla Model 3 VS.....Other Cars!?

Hey Lease Hackrs!

I’m back yet again! I had my amazing BMW 330i but sadly I got into a car accident 2 weeks ago and it is now totaled. It is the WORSE time for this to happen to me and my lease was going to end in June!

The other party’s Insurance is going to pay off my car/lease. But sadly that leaves me with no car. I been dying to get a Tesla Model 3 for a long time. But the price for the lease is extremely high and to buy it is also really high. I’m stuck on what to do. I need some guidance. I heard things should be going back to normal by July/Sept but I can’t wait that long. I also don’t want to get screwed over.

Besides a Tesla Model 3 what other cars can I get possibly? I’m open to ideas.

The crazy part is I was paying $369 for my BMW and now that is even doubled at almost $600! I’m so stressed out. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Tesla Model 3 Break Down:

LEASE:
*With a down payment of $4500 your are looking at $5,927 due at signing and a payment of $588 for 10K/36 months.

• Cash Down Payment $4,500
  • First Month’s Lease Payment $588
  • Acquisition Fee $695
  • Upfront Sales Tax info $494
  • Total Fees $651
  • Non-Cash Credits -$750
  • Order Payment -$250

PURCHASE
*$9,133 due at signing $724/mo - MSRP: $$50,090 (72 months)

• Cash Down Payment $4,500
  • California Sales Tax $4,982
  • California Total Fees $651
  • Trade-in Equity $0
  • Non-Cash Credits -$750
  • Order Payment -$250

What are your thoughts?

Never lease a model 3

13 Likes

Don’t forget you may also qualify for cvrp it’s $2000 or more if your “low income”

Also teslas range is no where near as advertised btw

1 Like

I would finance the Model 3.
The Tesla lease is too restrictive with resale options and tends to leave positive equity behind.

Lowest Interest: 1.24% for 65mo
Lower Payment: 1.99% for 84mo
Lowest payment would be a 2,99% 24mo balloon loan.

Other cars? Kia Niro EV, Prius Prime… You won’t loose money on either of those.

Thanks guys for your replies.

@z0lt3c, the thing is I’m trying to keep the monthly payment low. I know at the moment the Tesla Model 3 has a huge positive equity. But how long would that last? The more people buy the less it’ll get right? and I’m definitely not a Prius person… like…ever…ever. LOL.

@drdvrgs - umm…I don’t quality for 'Low income" lol and the range I heard it’s sorta of close no?

It has lasted for 7 years already. But the sky could always be falling.

1 Like

Base Model 3 in white or gray is $44,990 MSRP plus $1,200 destination and $250 order fee. What configuration are you choosing that makes it $50,090 MSRP?

Bear in mind optional paint and wheels don’t add much to the resale value of the vehicle, so save a few grand and go with white or gray and the 18s.

Agreed on the others that it’s better to finance than lease a Model 3. Ford offers a Ford Options plan on Mustang Mach-E, which offers lease-like payments; you can order one at MSRP and get one in four months. Might also want to consider a Pre-Configured Polestar 2, if you need a car sooner. The lease is better than the Model 3’s, but still not great.

1 Like

Unless the Model 3 is built with a time machine, it’s only been around for 3 to 4.

If you’re referring to the Model S, the older models are starting to see greater depreciation curves.

There are many factors to this, but I think in the next 5 to 10 years we’ll see great depreciation on Teslas. I think we are still in the “honey moon” phase of Tesla as we are in a transitionary period that arguably, lasts a long time, but Tesla quality and customer service is absolute trash and I think the buying public is starting to realize that.

2 Likes

The Kia EV6 looks pretty sharp and it is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit (the old one), which Teslas aren’t. But I have no idea how it would lease (except it’ll be cheaper than a Model 3).

Basically, knock at least 10-15% off whatever the car estimate says unless you drive like grandma. If you drive like grandma, knock 5% off.

7500 wont apply to lease, though.

Honestly, in this environment, I’d rather finance (especially an EV). Leasing right now is just plain not good for pretty much any vehicle (well, except the Mirai maybe. LOL)

1 Like

Look at Balloon financing options for the Tesla. It’s similar to a lease but you can actually flip/ buy it out at the end. You would also qualify for any local incentives.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/skorea-investigates-possible-exaggerated-advertising-teslas-mileage-2022-02-15/

I don’t see a great deprecation happening unless there’s a revolutionary advancement in the EV battery significantly improving range and charge times.

I do agree the quality is trash, but thats a wash when you consider there’s so much less expense on maintenance and repairs for parts under the hood compared to ICE vehicles.

Right, but what about the other EVs coming to market with better quality, simple maintenance, similar/more range, better service, etc?

1 Like

Is this 3rd party? I don’t think Tesla does balloon financing.

I have multiple Hyundai Ioniq 5s available at $2k over MSRP and no broker fee as an option if you need an electric vehicle this month

Lease is awful on it but purchase has 1.9% for 60 months

2 Likes

I haven’t seriously considered an EV yet, so forgive me if Im missing something here - alternatives to Tesla are limited to:

1. Significantly less range in current non Tesla EV options at same price point
  2. Equal or more range in future Non Tesla options at much more expensive price point

Then there’s charge time, and the supercharger network which also must be accounted for.

Perhaps I’m missing which vehicles you’re referring to.

Kia EV6 wind rwd, for example, has basically the same range as a model y LR, but before tax credits is $14k cheaper.

Yes, one is awd vs rwd, and the acceleration is different, but you’re getting the same range for way cheaper.

1 Like