2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

My Audi A5 Sportback Premium Plus, which has an MSRP of $52000, I ended up leasing for $500/mo (including tax). Zero down.

Granted, it was a test car for buyers and had 100 miles on it, but I ended up getting it out the door during the start of the pandemic at $38k. Now dealers don’t have quite as much inventory and aren’t dumping, but still, $834/mo is nuts.

GT2s used to have similar deals. You’d see the MSRP of about $52k, but many buyers here walked out with a GT2 around $38-$45k.

Also an Audi S4 I had quoted two years ago, was $650/mo, $1000 down. (Alright, it was a pre-refresh model they were dumping, but still, an S4!)

If you’re comfortable paying $834/mo, maybe consider something even nicer? You could get an Audi A7 for that kind of money…

Here’s some ideas (they’re one of the brokers here, to give you a point of reference for today’s market): LeaseCompanionDealListings - Google Sheets

When did you lease your A5? A GT2 is significantly better equipped than the A5.

For comparison sakes, if we look at the deal leasecompanion is offering on their A5 sportback and bump the MSRP to $52k (maintaining pre-incentive discount percentage, applying 10% tax which is appropriate for much of PA, removing MSDs so we’re talking the same cash flow as the Kia, and adding the $500 broker fee to the selling price), the monthly payment here would be about $845/mo.

Now, one could debate if a stinger gt2 or a PP+ A5 is a better vehicle, but the idea that you’re going to get into the A5 for much cheaper isn’t supported by your evidence, much less one that’s comparably equipped.

Also, please link that $834/mo A7 you’re talking about.

3 Likes

Literally 18 mos ago? The entire world, including that of leasing, is a rather different place nowadays…

Which is listed on the broker’s sheet at $743/mo and $872/mo…

1 Like

Based on the LH calculator Im getting about $780 a month for the numbers and rates they quoted me with 0 down. Once they showed me the paper saying $834 a month, I just left. I figured I could work some lower numbers if they had offered maybe $600-650 but. They seemed to think it wont sit on the lot long. God bless whoever pays that much. It was nice but the kia/genesis offerings should be the value deals in this segment.

Several weeks ago I was quoted low 700s for a m340 xdrive with options that had a 62,000+ MSRP compared to this stinger at 55,000

1 Like

OP you made the right call. $600-$650 was a good target for the Kia Stinger.

For others: my point with the comparisons is that $800/mo is not a good deal for a Kia Stinger, because there are cars that are more premium going for less, even from brokers.

For example: this hacker got $689/mo for an A6. (That’s pretty good. And, if you think a Kia Stinger is more premium than an A6, I can’t help you.)

That A6 deal was from May 5th which is light years ago in this brave new car leasing world.

But, yes the OP heading for the exits and never looking back was the correct move as you noted. $834 for a 55K soon to be discontinued Kia. Egad…

Funny thing is with Stinger’s being discontinued, in a normal market they might have become one of the more hackable targets.

1 Like

Which ones? Because the ones you referenced were not.

An M340i, for starters. Not exactly cheap, but definitely a class above a Kia Stinger and about $40/mo cheaper than he was quoted.

That hacker was me. The deal was $629/month (inclusive of 6.25% MA tax and Audicare). If you look at my write up, there was $8500 in incentives that made this deal possible.

:point_up_2::point_up_2: What they said.

2 Likes

It’s actually essentially the same exact price by the time you normalize for tax rate, broker fee, and msds.

Now, I don’t disagree with you that $800+ is way too much money to pay for a Stinger, however, it’s important when comparing apples to apples that we at least look at the real values.

1 Like

No doubt that there’s very questionable value in spending that each month for a Stinger, or lots of cars for that matter. But also agree that you can’t judge payment quotes against the stories from the past where 10-15% off many models was easy to get this time of year (maybe even 20% if you could find loaners they wanted to dump before they had to CPO them), and that was usually on top of very aggressive lease terms from manufacturers and captive banks. Now, when most negotiations start at MSRP and residuals/MFs are basically aligned with 72 month purchase financing, there’s nowhere to hide from the ugly truth of how expensive cars have gotten, and the old ‘xyz shouldn’t cost 123’ judgements just don’t work anymore.

2 Likes

I feel pretty confident in stating that $834 a month for a 55K Stinger is insane even in this black swan market

$30,024 over three years in lease payments + Kia lease disposition fee

$1.01 per mile driven (assuming all 30K actually are used)

1 Like

Yes agreed. Sadly, it seems that the Kia and Genesis dealers near me have sold most of their stinger and g70 inventory for what I imagine are similar numbers to what they quoted me. I guess those dealers know that at some point someone will come along and pay that price.

At least the G70’s are/were showing 67% residuals but the MF was atrocious

I leased and bought out a 2021 GT2 in March… I don’t know what Kia’s strategy was for the 2022, but the only way I felt like the car made sense was at about 20% off of MSRP, which was pretty easy when Kia was throwing huge incentives at it but impossible now.

That said, I think it is as worth $800/mo as the alternatives mentioned - it is super rare to see one so I don’t feel like every other mid-life crisis dad at daycare pickup*,
the seats are super comfy, stereo is better than most, all the power moist of us need, and is more practical than a 3 series or A5. Of course, I wouldn’t spend $800/mo on any car, but still.

*I am including myself in the mid-life crisis gang :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dstrawberry44 - If you are prepared to pay $800+ per month to lease a new car, find one you will enjoy driving.

Good luck.

EDIT: Did you test drive this car?

I did test drive it and was impressed. I actually preferred how it drove over the 2022 g70 3.3. I thought the power was plentiful for my needs and the luxuries were probably more than needed. However, I dont think I could justify $800 a month for any car really as this will be my daily driver. I do know that I want something in the sport sedan segment. It seemed as though the Kia should have been the best value compared to the c43, m340, tlx type s, and the g70.

I wouldn’t want to be more than $550 or so for a stinger with 0 down. However, it seems there is no chance of that happening within the next year maybe with the way things are.

You might be able to get a non-type S TLX for that price. I get it that it is an apples to oranges comparison, but all those other cars are pushing $800/month in this current market.

Have you explored the 2.5T Stinger GT-Line?

1 Like

Yes I’ll have to just wait it out I guess. The Type S I felt was underwhelming however the ride quality, handling, and exhaust note were nice. Numbers quoted for that was ranging between $800-900. Interior I felt could have been alittle more upscale for the price. I also prefer a RWD bias and the Type S didn’t feel that way.