2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE

Get more purchase quotes.

sales technique. I think a base should fetch $55k+ but then again I’m just giving you an empty opinion and not writing the check.

1 Like

“If you’re buying the PHEV, most of the time you will be driving within the given range”

MOST people would buy the GC 4xE as a daily and that’s perfect use case.

That’s not true in my case. I would not be using the GC as a daily or a commuter or even on local roads very often. It would go 40-90 miles (one direction) to some event or field with maybe 4-5 miles of local roads at most. That means I would be using it like a “1% PHEV” most of the time and that 2.0L hybrid engine is definitely a step below the V6 3.6L Penastar.

This is why I dumped my RAV4 Prime too. I was barely driving it on local roads and the gas/HV mode + wind/road noise + budget interior/audio made it an overpriced hauler. My EV was the daily and the R4P was the weekend tripper. I was seriously looking at 4Runners or Highlanders or Sorrentos as alternatives.

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around how people can come to this conclusion that the engine with 85 less hp and 210 less ft lbs is somehow the less anemic choice and the only answer i can come up with is some amount of throttle lag at lower throttle openings when running on the ice.

I drove the GC 4xE (HV battery at sub 1%) and Limited (ICE) back to back on the same roads and was allowed to hammer on the throttle/gas.

Definitely notice the Limited had far more torque on the low-end and had to feather the gas pedal to prevent from lurching too quickly forward. That was my only complaint of the Telluride 3.8L V6 engine was the low-end torque so I was surprised at the peppiness of the GC Limited with the 3.6L V6.

I don’t know at what RPM your figures are from but the 4xE is a not spritely like the R4P in “pure” gas mode (basically sub 1%) on lower-speeds. Considering the GC 4xE quarter-mile times… maybe the power is tuned for higher speeds?

I wonder if there’s some mode dependent throttle management going on here. In the wrangler 4xe, for example, there is a significant reduction of low end torque if youre driving in 2wd vs 4 hi auto. It sucks out tons of power.

Yeah must be throttle mapping/tuning. From auto-data net

2.0L 270hp/290ft-lb
3.6L 293hp/260ft-lb

The 2.0L should have more low end torque but I didn’t feel it. The 4xE does weigh though.

That was the point I’m getting at. Why even compare the PHEV if your use case is really meant for an ICE vehicle?

Re-reading your post, you even say the ICE GC is $10k less so I’m not really sure what you are trying to say in a 4xE thread because it seems obvious that the 4xe (or any PHEV) shouldn’t even be considered for you especially considering you already went through this exercise with a R4P.

Unless you are looking for a PHEV that has considerable power beyond the electric range?

Youre leaving out all the electric power there as well.

The motors dont shut down when the battery reads <1% charge.

I’ve got 4 different $55k+ quotes up here in Boston area on a base in the past week. Keep shopping!

Very true but I didn’t feel the electric motor kick in. I don’t know how the 4xE is tuned but the R4P uses mostly electric power when under 10mph (maybe up to sub 25-mph) even in gas/HV mode and only seems to include the electric motor in hard acceleration after that.

I will repeat that I found the interiors, seats, infotainment to be extremely well appointed and not budgety like the RAV4 (which felt like a cheap $30K gasser). I expected to be wowed by the PHEV drivetrain like I was with the R4P compared to the gas trims but I was not. In fact, the opposite happened.

it is there, it may just be that the ice is a lag monster.

If one is just tooling around town and driving on electric (even in hybrid mode with a low battery), if you need to accelerate very very quickly, there is, in my opinion, a rather unacceptable lag in the power delivery.

1 Like

2.0 is far superior to 3.6 I say this as living with both options for a while.

What your experiencing is 2.0 tuned to be hybrid and prioritizing electricity, even when battery is at <1% when you come to a stop engine will stop, when you start rolling it will do so under battery power and switch to gas after trans shifts to second. Now none of that is happening with Penta because 3.6 power has only one source of power, there is no “math” involved, no switching between 2 and no extra weight to haul.

3.6l makes its peak numbers way up high towards redline. 2.0t makes its pear numbers pretty low in the RPM range, its not the “power” of 3.6 that you like (because its simply not there in comparison) its the constant and consisted power flow from single source.

2 Likes

Good to know.

I definitely see what you are saying with the 3.6L making its power at the redline. It does like to rev.

If your use case was 80-90% highway miles… would you pick the 4xE?

What’s the real world EV range like? 30? 35? Or is it just 26? I had no issues getting 46-48 EV miles with the RAV4 Prime even with 60-70mph slow highway driving (I’d switch to gas mode for anything over 5-10 miles)

Unless those highway drives are 20 miles or less, I’d say absolutely not. Full EV mode at typical highway speeds is probably the least efficient use case on these. I don’t think you’d ever see the ‘savings’ over the ICE equivalent GC.

1 Like

Thanks. Were those all from jeep dealers or third party as well? Does only jeep/dodge/Chrysler dealers get to buy it out from you tax free?

I get about 28 in my wrangler, so the gc should do better.

2 Likes

Only one Jeep dealer which I’ll be selling to for 56k. Most CDJR weren’t interested. Carvana and GMTV both offered 55k as did a couple other local dealers. Hit up GMTV alex.maldonado@givemethevin.com Selling Your Car Online Has Never Been Easier | GiveMeTheVin offered 55k this morning on a base. If you have lux you might be able to get more.

And any dealer can buy it out without taxes

1 Like

180 miles roundtrip commute, approx. 25 miles driving in town at the other end, daily. I see 21.5 mpg calculated on the odo, and if I charge up during lunch (free at Target), I save about 8-10 dollars at the Costco pump, and like Matt, get about 28 miles on a full charge. edit: wrangler sahara, sorry…also 44K miles already. edit2: unless I wasn’t clear, commute is all e-save on freeway, try to be all battery in town.
edit: 3 lol Unless I wasn’t clear, that $8-10 savings is daily…alas some lunches are longer, some are shorter, and a few days no lunch no charge mo money.

2 Likes

For the base, would you expect better EV range on the stock 18" rims (on 265/60R18 tires) or the upgraded 20" rims (on 265/50R20 tires)? Looks like the 18" rims were designed to be more efficient but wasn’t sure.
Thanks