2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE

Ya, Volvo does a much better job on the t8s or bmw with the 40e

45e?

It’s a nice car but I think it’s bad form that they don’t unlock the battery like they do in EU market.

I was being facetious. The gc 4xe has very similar specs to the bmw and Volvo phevs as far as mpge and mpg rating, and actually has better electric only range from the window stickers I’ve seen.

1 Like

Real world =/= Sticker

my point was less about the actual mileage and more about how they had a full year+ with the wrangler 4xe and seemingly have made absolutely zero improvements in anything related to the battery tech. same mpg, same modes, likely same issues, etc…

We are buyin em all up as is…

Yah… it’s the same drive train… what are you expecting them to do? Working on some of the issues is one thing, but the range, fuel economy, etc is all fairly par for the course for phev suvs. Why would they add more random drive modes just to further confuse things?

Agree, why would they even F with anything now? They are mass producing Wranglers and the electric range isn’t scaring anyone off. They haven’t produced any GCs yet for the public, at this point if the GC price doesn’t scare you away, the range won’t either.

The range is totally reasonable for a phev too. It’s only low looking if you’re using a bev for your frame of reference.

Everyone already knows my chief complaint: no reason whatsoever they cannot upgrade to fast charging/CCS. That one upgrade would propel adoption more than any other.

1 Like

I don’t think it would make a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things

You’ll see soon enough.

1 Like

no no no not useless junk like drive modes. i’m talking fast charging, more range, better cold weather response, etc… hell we haven’t even gotten the upgrade to battery tech that they received in europe yet.

This doesn’t exist. The European models got the exact same thing. The only reason for the higher rating is because it got the wltp test instead of the epa test.

1 Like

I’m never going to go out of my way to find a DC fast charger for a whole 20 miles of range to maybe save $1 in gas. It’s just not worth the time and energy.

If you’re in a case where you don’t have an evse at home, it makes some sense, but a phev really isn’t for you if you can’t charge at home.

1 Like

I cannot charge at home (condo), so can only L1 at work (it is a work vehicle, so that’s pretty much out) or L2 out and about. Everyone talks about the charging being the limitation of EV adoption (grid capacity,etc.) but it is also access to remote charging. Tesla, Bolt/Volt and other EV’s are already (by their sheer numbers) hogging all L2 chargers in my town, either because they’re free or cheap. Oddly, the EA fast chargers and Tesla Superchargers are almost always empty. I suppose that is because they are expensive. My point is the Jeep has put us in direct competition, and with a disadvantage, with all other EV’s which appear to favor L2 plugs. With CCS access, a 20-30 minute lunch or shopping stop could result in a full battery, which is where I think most engineers would see as a goal for widespread EV adoption. L2 only is first-gen tech in my mind.
edit: hell, I’m in line at Costco for gas in about 20 minutes already.

First and foremost, the 4xe isn’t an EV. It’s a hybrid. I think a lot of people run into issues because they try to transplant ev usage patterns onto a phev.

DC fast charging usually isn’t any cheaper than gas. It’s often times more expensive. You’re paying a premium for convenience that is needed on evs. On a phev, there’s no reason to pay the premium for that convenience.

In my area (where PG&E will raise rates by 20% in the coming year), the EA rate (with the $4/month club fee) works out to be 2 cents higher per kwh than standard home rates.
Screenshot 2022-02-26 12.20.46 PM

So I guess premium is a definition worth defining…but I’d suggest L2 to CCS for Jeep is ultimately necessary, and not a particularly expensive upgrade for them to make.

1 Like

The current 4xE models are definitely not meant to be in direct competition with all other EVs…

You’re knocking at the door of the equivalent of $6/gallon of gas there using the membership rate, not including the per minute charge you pay for any time the vehicle is sitting after being done…