2022 Honda Accord Sport SE - Finance / Service Contract add on’s

MD, Financed a Accord on Saturday, supposedly at MSRP, $31,960- I guess my question is can I get these extra service contracts removed?

I really only wanted GAP and Oil change / tire rotation.

But they said they couldn’t do that and it was a package deal, had to get GAP, Oil change package, some 10 year 100k mile service contract (forgot what it even covered) and basically a ceramic coating (don’t think they even did the undercarriage).

Was going to put $1000 down, payment was $511 per month (doing bi-weekly payments though).

But after this bundle, the payment went up to $588.xx or $598. So I put $1,500 down and the finance manager said it would $270 bi-weekly.

But when I get home to look over the paperwork it’s $584.36 per month ($292.18 bi-weekly).

Anything I can do?

Should have walked. “Package Deal” was a lie. Not sure I would pre-pay for Honda maintenance either, that’s never been expensive for my Honda’s every 10k miles so I’d rather set that money aside and not pay the finance company the amount every other week

1 Like

Might have to look at the add on contract, respectfully did you not look when you sign, and noticed the discrepancy in payments stated and contractually?

1 Like

$3,214
$1,268
$1,499

Remove all, if possible, although last one looks like dealer hard add so good luck with that. Man…crazy what these dealers do.

MSRP on outgoing Accord is pretty lame also. The new redesign is just around the corner.

Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

The $995 for GAP would be better spent reducing the loan balance. I’d cancel that also.

Would have walked on principle alone b/c of the scumbag dealer adds.

2 Likes

Cancel all of them if you can. Then refi at a CU. You should be able to better than your 5.79% term and gap from most CU’s is usually $299.

It was all done electronically, and the finance guy said it was going to be $270 bi-weekly (with $1500 down). Guess I should have asked him to show me on paper first lol.

How do I cancel them? Call the dealer or the credit union?

First car purchase, 5.79% was the best I could get with my local credit union. I qualified for 4.9% through Honda but didn’t like the payment.

You signed paperwork without seeing or reviewing it and went on the word of the finance guy? Just curious how that works.

1 Like

You should have paperwork for each add on. Call the toll free #’s on each. On your pic it says JM&A fidelity so that’s probably it.

Edit: I looked at your contract again and it looks like they added freight to your total. Freight (also known as destination is already in the msrp. Do you have a window sticker or know the msrp)

This was also in the car but pretty sure they did MSRP-

Ok. Looks like msrp deal with the add on contracts. No extra freight. Just call JM&A fidelity to get them cancelled.

They put you into a 7-year loan. :nauseated_face: In general, the longer the term the higher the rate.

It looks like you were bamboozled, hoodwinked and hornswoggled because you were shopping by payment.

(Lesson for next time, don’t do that. :slight_smile: It’s among the most certain ways to get ripped off, and mentally splitting the monthly into bi-weekly halves for “affordability” probably quadrupled the chances of that outcome.).

5 Likes

Shopping by Payment on a Lease usually a smarter way. $0 down 36 months, shopping by payment means you know what you are getting. Hard to hide add ons except by changing the Down and Term but those are obvious on a lease.

The best way to know what youre getting is to actually know what youre getting, not look at a post-calculator number thats presented in a manner intentionally designed to make large cash flows feel more palatable.

2 Likes

You’re assuming that someone knows how the payment is calculated and knows how to optimize all of the moving numerical parts.

Payment shopping is looking at the monthly and saying, “I can afford that,” which is very different from “I’m not getting screwed.”

OP, you can cancel the first 2 options just be aware

• There is a time limit on cancelling those. (Or some fees come into play)
  • Your payment will most likely not change, you will just shave off some months on the end.

Delivery Date is 11/12 — tomorrow is day 3 of the cancellation period. Go into the dealer and cancel all of those add-ons. Not sure about your state but you can usually unwind it within 72 hours or at least within 30 days with no charges (but refund applied to loan balance and not monthly payment).

For refinancing, check out other credit unions. There is a thread here but I’d recommend at least checking out Interior Federal Credit Union if your Equifax FICO 8 is > 720.

It’s safe to assume the FICO score is unknown, if we’re signing contracts without even reviewing the documents.

Best of luck to the OP, but damn this thread gives me anxiety.