2022 Genesis GV70

This looks pretty damn impressive…

3 Likes

The entire proportion of the car is absolutely ruined by those C pillars. I do not anticipate there being a lot of visibility possible out the back which is why this befuddles me. If you’re willing to make a design that obstructs view, then why ruin that rear quarter cut with a terrible pillar design?

The rest of the car and interior is absolutely stunning. Love the circular exhaust pipes out the back on the Sport and the front grill design is very BMW/Mercedes-esque.

I think the diamond grille works best in this application, it’s very proportional to the rest of the car and doesn’t take up as much frontal space making it look like a scaling error on the CAD program.

Just that C-pillar though… did they have to go all Nissan-on it?

I am excited for it. I think the interior using curves and ovals is very Space-age and a little cyber-punkish and I wish more cars were like it. The accent lighting and LED strips really accentuate it.

I’m going to pretend the Ford Taurus was never a thing because that was the most obscene and offensive usage of interior curve design language I’ve ever seen.

Hey look, it’s the model that Genesis should have started with.

This is gorgeous… Except the steering wheel on the luxury trim. I agree the c pillar treatment is odd. Curious to see it in person.

Shadow line trim instead of chrome = solved.

Even if the OEM doesn’t offer it, you can have a shop wrap it (the trim, not the whole car) in black vinyl or faux carbon fiber

At least the steering wheel is better than the weird one in the GV80

That thing is straight porsche 928

That’s what I thought, too.

I definitely see the resemblance to 928, but the C-pillar it self has a kink in it that almost resembles a floating pillar like in the Nissan designs. The port window design is much like a 928, but looks like they took the headlights from the jaguar E Pace and threw them in there.

The broken line that continues through the c pillar from A pillar just completely distracts me. It was elegant up until that point.

Do you mean the chrome spear at the C-pillar? I don’t see much of a kink in the C-pillar itself.

And, yes, I do find the kink the chrome trim unnecessarily busy. I know @StingerTT loves the exhaust pipes, but I find both the Sport and Lux versions to be… ungainly.

BTW, is that just a heating element that’s in the rear-most side window (very visible in exterior shot 4)?

Damn. Hyundai/Genesis just keep killing it. At this rate, they’ll put Infiniti out of business in no time.

Infiniti is doing a fine enough job putting itself out of business.

4 Likes

the front of Volvo and the rear of Porsche.

This is true. I doubt the QX60 was even part of the benchmarking process for Genesis. It’s clearly a cheaper product at a cheaper price point.

What Genesis is going to do is put a lot of pressure on the other near-luxury cars that have been coasting for a long time.

Lexus RX and the joke “L”
Acura MDX (the new one)
GMC Acadia (GM’s idea of luxury is vomiting chrome everywhere)
Buick Enclave (larger size will retain some buyers, rest will flee)
Etc

when do we expect this to be avail in the USA?

The GV80 has been on the ground for months.

Still true. See also

wait isnt this the GV70 thread?

Most recent speculation is Summer.

Yup sorry. I see almost 1600 gv70s (not 80s) on the ground now

Are you confusing G70s with GV70s?

1 Like

Moderator: Please move if in the wrong place.

I am dying for a GV70 3.5T Sports Prestige. I live in NYC and am petrified of 21" wheels. Some dealer websites describe the car as a Sport model, but because of the price, I know it is a Sport Prestige. The dealer descriptions say 19" rims with P235/55R19 tires, but the window sticker shows the 21" rims. Unfortunately, I think the 21" rims are a deal breaker. Is it possible to get the Sports Prestige with 19" rims? As far as I can see, it is not. I’m hopeful for good news…