2022 Audi SQ5 lease - deal gut check

, ,

Hi All, spent hours at a dealer when we originally intended just to look and test drive for 40 mins. We bought a car from them years ago and they offered the following, I didn’t dig too far into the numbers but they were trying to get us to a deal when we didn’t prepare to finance/lease a car today. Wanted to run this by members here as we have never leased a car and had no idea what to even ask until I started reading here.

Since we left I didn’t take all the printouts. Still have no idea if lease or finance is better these days.

IL
2022 Audi SQ5 Prestige (or Premium Plus, $69K but not in color we wanted)
~$74,000 - car was not even at the dock yet, en route to a diff dealer in diff state.
$28,000 - trade in for 2016 SQ5, Carmax online offered $31K, $2,835 left on previous financing
36 months lease
12,000 miles / year
$5000 down - seems recommendation is no money down
$531.33 monthly payment

I don’t know what the money factor was since I didn’t know what to ask as we did no research on leasing before going after servicing the car. Just based on gut check is this ok with market conditions or is this bad?

I know now is the not the best time to get a car but shiny new things etc… We liked the lease since the reason for going in is before Audi Care expired and bunch of maintenance popped up, nothing too major but still multiple thousands.

So, you are going to get the advice to use the search function a bit and don’t spend any time in the dealer until you know what it should cost. However, I’m going to give you a bit of guidance in advance of those messages. Your trade in is just like putting money down, build your lease offer separate to getting rid of the vehicle that you own. You need to figure out what the RV and the money factor is on this suv, you can find that on the edmonds forum or you can go to the marketplace here and see if any offers for this particular suv. The last thing will be the easiest for you because it’ll save you the most amount of time. Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Am I reading this right?

You owe $3K, They offered $28K so that’s effectively $25K down by way of equity on its own and they still want $5K cash down to get to a $551/mo payment which leaves you paying nearly $50K to lease a $74K car…

Please tell me I’m wrong because that’s effin’ brazen.

14 Likes

Are they using your trade in towards the new lease ? If so, run :slight_smile:

I’d search for Audi brokers on this site to get the best deal of this is the car your looking for.

3 Likes

I was trying to wrap my brain around this as well…OP you might as well finance this car if this is the case. Makes no sense to spend 50k to lease a 74k car. You’ll have way more flexibility with financing too

4 Likes

I can see how they would arrive there (and it is nasty) but don’t see how they would get to $551/mo with only $5K down on a 74K prestige in this current market.

1 Like

That sounds about right, we owe $3k on the current car, they offered $28K to trade it in.

$5k down, $531.33/month for 36 months and 12K miles. We wasted time looking for the color combo but really never looked at leasing so didn’t know what to ask. Was not planning on signing anything today and looks like it was a good thing…

2 Likes

At least you made it to the right place before doing something silly!

6 Likes

We heard lots of talk of cars going fast etc… I was not sure if cars are selling so fast we had ‘lock it in’ or something. I wasn’t thinking of even asking about leasing without trading in the car.

Have them match Carmax and finance it. Should have ~$600ish/monthly on a 72 month loan and have much more flexibility.

2 Likes

That was your first mistake.

That’s how dealers prey on the uninformed.

Most of us are relieved you did not sign this deal today.

Here is some free advice:

1. Run away from this deal and dealer. Tell them you are not interested.
  2. Read Leasing 101: Leasing 101 — EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR
  3. Educate yourself on the basics. If that’s too much, work with a broker. Check out the “Marketplace”.

Was it a Prestige or Premium Plus? The Prestige usually has a lower residual than the P+.

Why are you trading it in? Is there something wrong with it?

4 Likes

You’re assuming that this is an MSRP deal and that they wouldn’t do max rate markup. :smirk:

1 Like

More like $8k down, if you include the $3k in equity from your current car.

$30k down ($25k equity and $5k cash)

8 Likes

My bad. This deal is pretty awful.

7 Likes

Might just be worse than an XC40 recharge for $1,100.

2 Likes

@Bluemkn57cars ok I have no idea how do the fancy quotes…

Definitely only stopped in since we brought the current car in to swap in winter tires finally. Did not plan on signing anything but was starting to sound ok after a while but gut was saying differently. Bought from these guys before so sort of trusted them since we like the service center… glad I came home and started researching.

Started and will read the leasing 101 articles, we aren’t dead set on leasing, just wasn’t sure between leasing or financing. The $74K was for Prestige, it was also an estimate, I think the sales manager said there is no price since it didn’t arrive on shore yet. The $69K was for a Premium Plus but had I think couple of options we didn’t want but was pretty close to what we saw on Audi’s website. We were getting quoted 8-10 months for ordering.

We only need 1 car, partner wanted an upgrade for a while, like the SQ5 still… mechanically still fine, needs new brakes and few other things that were quoted to be $4k-ish?

In this environment, you want to keep whatever car you have…unless there is a special situation.

Buy your 2016 SQ5 for 28K…maybe get an extended warranty, because German luxury cars are expensive to repair.

Wait out this market as long as you can comfortably.

Leasing, for the most part, makes little sense today. The advantage, which was always driven by low sales prices relative to MSRP/high residuals/low interest rates/incentives don’t exist anymore. I guess residuals and interest rates haven’t changed that much (or have they?), but the MSRP discounts and incentives have disappeared…and that’s where the bulk of the deals were created.

2 Likes

Run away from this dealership.

Find an independent, trustworthy mechanic.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I also didn’t know about Edmund’s forums for MF and RV. This is what I received for 36/12 for my zip.

.00177 MF
58% P+
55% Prestige
No lease incentives

Thankful I found this place, prob needed more sleep today. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes