2021 Maserati MC20

The upcoming Maserati MC20 looks sexy, IMO. I would buy one if I had more than $200k lying around. You can read more about it here: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2021-maserati-mc-20-first-look/

“The 2021 Maserati MC20 coupe is powered by a Maserati-developed, 90-degree, twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 engine producing 621 horsepower at 7,500 rpm and 538 lb-ft of torque.”

O to 60 mph is estimated at 2.9s.
Top speed is more than 202mph.
Curb weight is 3,240-pound.

What do you guys think? Yea or Nay.

I stopped when it said the “the Maserati MC20 coupe interior will feature classic items from the Chrysler parts bin”

6 Likes

Not sure where you read that.

Being developed in only 24 months is worrisome, especially with a new Maserati designed engine. I could see these tanking in value more than they normally do if that engine has big reliability problems. For $200k, I think there are better options out there like an Audi R8 or a gently used Huracan, Aston Martin, or Ferrari. But if I was simply adding it to a collection of cars, it would be a car I keep for a year or two because of how new it is.

3 Likes

I do agree. There are lots of options at that price point, especially a R8 V10 Perfomance. However, the Audi is slower (0 to 60 in 3.2s) and has less horsepower (602 hp) than the MC20. The cheapest Ferrari that comes to mind is the Portofino with a base price of about $215k. It has 592 hp and does 0 to 60 in 3.5s.

The R8 V10 plus can achieve 60mph in the 2.6-2.8s area. And a gently used 488 GTB will be in the same price ballpark.

I don’t think it’s all about 0-60 times. My favorite car to drive in the last few years has been the Lexus RC-F. It had a 0-60 time in the mid 4 seconds. I can get to 60 in under 4 with the M340i, but the Lexus was still more “fun” to drive. It had a terrible infotainment system, but you really didn’t care.

There’s a lot more to a car than the spec sheet. I’d take an LC500 over an M850i any day, and I’d get smoked by the M850i every time.

2 Likes

You just have bad taste if you think a Lexus is more fun to drive than a BMW or anything out of Germany. The RC-F and LC500 are at the bottom of the list for fun to drive sport cars.

2 Likes

I got this from Audi’s website.

Audi is notorious for understating 0-60 times. Automotive magazines and shows have tested it in the 2.6s-2.9s area.

Agreed. I was just pointing out specs for anyone to see why the MC20 might be a “good buy”.

Godspeed to the folks who buy this car. Yikes.

1 Like

So would you go with an R8?

I like the looks… quite evocative of a Lemans racecar

Unsure why a clean sheet V6 was made for this… use a Ferrari V8 if they’ll allow it like some previous Masers.

Or design an I6 if it must be six cylinders

I would go with an R8, Porsche 911, or a used Ferrari over this. But this car will most likely appeal to car collectors who will keep it for a few years and barely drive them.

1 Like

Depreciation on this will be huge! Definitely not new purchase worthy.

If I had $1M to play with, I would buy all 3 plus the MC20. :grin:

1 Like

Exactly why I said it would appeal to collectors. For someone who can buy 1-2 exotics, this probably does not make the list. Even if I had $1 million laying around, this wouldn’t be on there. I would pick up an Aventador, McLaren 600LT spyder, and a Porsche GT2 RS. But for the guy with a multi-million dollar car collection, this will fit right in.

As someone who currently owns a BMW, I have to disagree. The older BMW’s I’ve had were more fun to drive. The current ones are performance monsters, but are sterile. I love the technology and the new interiors are much better, but BMW is becoming less fun to drive in my opinion. The RC-F did not perform as well, but it was a much more visceral experience. I felt more connected to the car, and like it mattered if I was driving it. I feel now like if I weren’t in the car, the car could perform just as well on its own. That’s the difference for me.

I drove the M340i a couple of weekends ago at a BMW Autocross drive event. What a freaking beast. I am yet to drive the Lexus.

1 Like