2021 Maserati MC20

It is crazy fast and the horsepower numbers are very underrated like most BMW’s.

I just can’t get behind any sports car from Lexus other than the LFA. They all have terrible performance figures and outdated Toyota tech. There is a reason why Toyota is using BMW parts in the Supra. I haven’t driven the RC-F in a while, but I drove the LC500 a few years ago and I was disappointed. It has a bland driving experience for a car with a six figure price tag. Edit- It should also say something that we are comparing a M340 to a RC-F when the proper price comparison is to a M3 or M4.

1 Like

Seems like you’re in the ballpark of more performance automatically equates to more fun. This is a common theme among Teslas and the futile chase for 0-60 numbers. The problem is performance at the expense of fun.

I have an M340i, and it’s a great car to drive. But the LC500 simply has more theater and emotion in its drive. It offers better steering feel and a goosebumps-worthy naturally aspirated V8. It’s not a quick car, but it’s an absolute joy to drive.

1 Like

What I already said. Even if it was fast, the steering is terrible and it can’t go around a corner without upsetting the suspension. It is a great cruiser, but not a sports car.

The LC was never trying to be a sports car. It’s a GT car. Offers some performance, some theater, and some comfort.

I don’t follow your logic behind the steering, especially considering the irony in the fact that BMW’s EPS system is pretty subpar. If there’s one major complaint I have about my M340i it’s the lack of steering feel.

1 Like

So far looks like I am the only Yea.

I was responding to this before:

and

It is pretty reasonable to consider in a thread about super and sport cars, “fun” equates to speed, handling capability, and drama. Lexus as a brand would be towards the bottom in all of them when compared to German brands and even Infiniti if we are talking about cars in the $50k-$150k area.

If we are talking about GT cars, the LC500 is a good value for the price point since you would jump up to $200k+ quickly for a Aston Marin or Bentley. I would still take an M850 or an Audi S7/RS7 over a LC500 as a GT car though. I will even make the argument that almost every car we have discussed is a GT car since a sports car you should be able to take to track without any modifications and abuse them (RS5, GT500, M4, R8, 488) while a S4, M340, RCF, or LC500 would struggle over repeated laps.

As for steering in BMWs; I think you will have a hard time finding another non-exotic brand with a better feel. Is it perfect, no. But it is better than most cars on the market.

None of us have driven it. All we can comment on is the looks and spec sheet.

Of course this being the internet that won’t stop anyone from forming unyielding opinions about it.

I suppose it’s a useless argument since “fun” is very subjective. I equate fun with drama and feeling… and speed/performance are byproducts. An M340i will run laps around an mx-5, but I would argue the mx-5 is more fun because of the driving characteristics. The LC500 has a different variable in the drama and theater involved with the naturally aspirated V8.

The M850 vs LC500 is an interesting discussion. By most accounts, the M850 is the much better car in pretty much every aspect. But the LC500 still produces more emotion and in my opinion is more “fun”. I’m not sure I’d take it over the M850, but it would be a very tough decision for me.

As for the steering feel - There are plenty of cars which offer better steering feel than BMW’s current EPS offerings (excluding exceptions such as the M2). In fact I’d say BMW is close to the bottom when it comes to steering feel - which may be hard to stomach because for the longest time they were at the top with the hydraulic options of old. This is not to be confused with handling ability. BMW’s handle great, but steering feel has been lost (again another example of performance at the expense of “fun”).

1 Like

100% Italian supercar.

Reminds me of the Maserati MC12. Only 50 were made over a 2-year period. Read more here: Maserati MC12 - Wikipedia

In all fairness, the exterior does look pretty sick. It’s just too bad they don’t know how to make interiors that look less like a Dodge Dart and more like absolutely anything else.

I would normally agree with the above statement, if we were discussing the Ghibli. The MC12 is a 100% Italian.

A 100% Italian dungeon maybe

1 Like

They were smart to make it blue so that you could tell which gauge cluster is a 2013 Dart and which one is a 2021 MC20. That really is an awfully unimpressive interior

Same, but Those are basically Maserati enzos, Ferrari V12, Enzo Chasis and more, no?

Lot of haters here, looks clean and simple on the interior, and the exterior looks up to par.

Twin turbo v6 at $200k is questionable, I would have went Ferrari turbo v8 but that’s just me, maybe they tried to keep costs down? Doubtful but a 6 cylinder wouldn’t be my choice for a weekend supercar, rather an 8,10 or 12.

Only real issue I see is reliability, it’s one thing to make a racecar it’s something else to make it able to run daily without a team of mechanics and a shop.

True and given the fact they were limited runs, you will need at least a couple of millions to snag one up (if you can find one for sale).

Agreed, but to each their own.

Just to reiterate, Maserati built this engine. There are no Ferrari parts. I am sure there are reasons they went with a 6 cylinder instead of an 8 cylinder. However, getting more than 600hp from a 6 cylinder engine is quite the feat.

Have you actually driven the RC-F and LC500?

I wouldn’t choose an RC-F over a C-63, but I would over an RS5. There’s just a different experience with sound, seat comfort, car feel, and driving dynamics. More reliable to boot.

I wouldn’t take an LC500 over a 911 S, but I would consider it well over an M850. There’s a lot of personality in the LC500 and it sounds absolutely amazing as well. M850 would definitely pull on it, absolutely.

Hard to find a beautiful sounding naturally-aspirated V8 nowadays.

1 Like