2021 Genesis GV80 2.5T AWD Prestige - Deal Check

It didn’t end up being totally free after taxes and fees and rent charge, etc, but the 18 month lease did end up costing me under $200/mo when all was said and done. Hard to complain about that.

But I don’t know that we will see the gv80 holding value quite as well. They’re very nice, but at these kinds of prices, they are leaps and bounds above the competition. Not to mention that I doubt we will see as crazy of a used market in a year or 2 from now.

1 Like

Pretty sure there’s no one on this board that would not take one of those cars for an effective $200 a month.

Probably the biggest whoppers in recent memory are the Toyota Tacomas. I actually had a negative car payment effectively on mine, but even then I still miss that truck. What crazy bang for the buck✔️

1 Like

:x:

Price isn’t everything.

I thought this until I got in one and drove it, it’s not.

I’d still rather have a an X5 m50i over this any day, but still.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with considering this a Hyundai in a fancy dress. The current crop of Hyundais already wear a pretty fancy dress.

1 Like

UH OH…paging Matt…paging Matt😁

In seriousness, I am not the biggest SUV fan in the world, but everything I can tell about this car, short of the nameplate which does not yet carry the implied prestige of some other brands, is that it is a very nice package overall. If they would just sell them at an LH reasonable price, LOL

Probably the biggest difference for the Genesis GV80 vs. the Hyundai / Kia or even a Lexus RX is that its sitting on a Rear Wheel Drive or RWD-biased architecture like the German brands (e.g. BMW X5). To me, this makes the driving dynamics and experience distinct on top of the exterior / interior sugar coating.

That being said, agree with all, that’s still a high leasing price for this SUV.

$950 for a 2.5t is way beyond overpayment. Just buy it if you like it that much.

A very bad option to lease. If you really like it, buy it. 60k for a four banger is nuts.

Can you put a price on safety? Tiger Woods is living proof this SUV is worth the pay-to-play.

I kid obviously. Not every car is ment to be leased, this here is proof, but we knew that with the Palisade already heh.

The Palisade can be leased well.

Yes now the Palisade is lease friendly, it did not lease well when it first came out I should have added. I applaude anyone trying to get really numbers on these new model releases.

I was being very facetious and didn’t really mean what I said.

It’s just that payment is not reasonable at all - I didn’t read the post fully to see it was for the 4-banger too, in which case the lease and maybe even the buy is a hard pass IMO.

But…I don’t doubt it being a fantastic SUV at all actually (except for the anemic engine in the 4-pot - that’s a lot of car for 300hp/300tq to push around). If you don’t care for outright pace and hustle then it’s fine. Just not for me.

I think it’s a great vehicle thats a serious contender to the established Marques, and I want to get behind the wheel of too, if the leases were better I’d have done so already. If they were actually reasonable I don’t doubt that it’d be on my driveway.

Yea, the lease pricing is ridiculous. In the 6’s this would be a real killer in the segment, I think

I got a better lease on my palisade 18 months ago than I could today.

The real issue was people just went and asked the dealer how much the dealer wanted then to pay and got ridiculous numbers.

It also needs a third row to be more widely available to really kill it in this segment. It’s only available on a very high trim level IIRC.

I get the feeling it may be a supply constraint issue. I would expect larger availability of it in subsequent model years. Would be an easy switch in config.

While it’s RWD, I sort of view the GV80 as more of an MDX competitor. The RWD puts it more in the Aviator / Q7 / X5 realm, but it’s still an upstart.

For a lease, if a similarly equipped MY22 MDX is around $500/mo, that’s probably about where I’d want to be on a GV80 2.5T to consider leasing one. Like everyone else said, a purchase here might make sense, a lease does not. Either way, it’s probably a model to wait on a bit as supply comes in line before considering, at least for us LH’ers.

2 Likes

Can you even get a similarly equipped mdx as some of the higher trims here?