2021 Genesis GV80 2.5T AWD Prestige - Deal Check

Hi,
I wanted input on the following deal for an offer I received today on the GV80. I know they don’t lease well but I really loved driving it and enjoyed the tech/luxury aspect. Wanted to see if this is atleast in the ballpark of a slight overpayment for a car you absolutely love or I’m being completely stupid and should look for an alternative (BMW, Volvo, Audi)?
I’ve tried my best of getting the calculator to as accurate as possible but all taxes/fees are capitalised in the lease cost. Let me know if I’m missing something or more information is required.
Thanks in advance.

MSRP: 64825.00
Total After Disc (4.7%): 61,775.00
Residual: 57%
MF: .00165
Monthly pymt: $950.00
36/10k

Green
Prestige Package

Downpayment: $0
Drive off: 1st month pymt: $950

The concierge service has free oil changes/service for 3 years. The tires:rims insurance is $95.

image|375x500

Holy crap. I’d say you really need to love the car to pay a thousand a month for it. That seems like a pretty poor discount but I imagine Hyundai is hardly discounting their SUVs. A 6.1 LH score is pretty dreadful, though.

9 Likes

I’d consider buying it, if you want it. I don’t see how it makes sense to lease this.

4 Likes

Narrator: it doesn’t.

X7 m50 I or a Hyundai in a fancy dress?

I jest, a little - I think the GV80 is a fantastic looking car and a huge step up for the brand but you gotta really really want it at those numbers.

3 Likes

I think it’s great if you want it. I’m sure they have some promo financing at 1.99% (or get a loan through DCU), throw 20% down, and on a 60 month loan you’d be less than this lease monthly and you’d own it…heck 0 down would only be 150/month more (excluding tax).

Agree- your finance suggestion is the better play I think. If it’s anything like the telluride in terms of demand and crazy mark up -(somewhat surprised there was a discount if I’m honest) OP could get out of this in 2 years and maybe net out at a really low payment.

1 Like

That’s the best discount I’ve seen on a gv80.

1 Like

When these two things are both true at the same time…Gawd help us.

4 Likes

Sometimes leasing the vehicle is not the right choice.

2 Likes

You mean we can actually buy cars? I havent tried that yet…LOL.

1 Like

The true test of becoming a lease hacker is knowing when not to lease. Only when you wield your power with restraint are you truly a master.

8 Likes

My approach is…never buy. Keeps the peabrain happy so it doesnt have to think too much…

In seriousness, if a car doesnt “lease well” I just move onto something that does…the quality of choices these days is so good that Ive always found something that met the needs/desires while keeping the pocketbook happy.

This shouldnt matter, but in truth when assessing a deal I many times think “would I be embarrassed to post this to LH?” I know the crowdsourced brain trust would harshly assess the core of the overall package and if it cant stand up to scrutiny, then move on.

2 Likes

Meh, sometimes buying makes more sense. Depends on the requirements at the time. Leasing is just another tool to use to try to maximize value/minimize risk, but it’s not the only tool.

2 Likes

I just cant deal with the damn sales tax…theres hardly any way to get out of the darn thing once that 7% hit is figured in :frowning: Grrrr.

This is true. Because a smart hacker would find a Telluride at MSRP, drive it for a few months and flip it for a $10k profit. Making money on a Kia is a real hack.

yeah, that would be something that would land one in the LHHOF!

If one was doing that, it would be best to get some crazy inflated MF/purchase financing in exchange for a nice discount and then flip that sucker as quickly as possible. In most states though, I would guess it would still be more profitable to do that on the lease due to the doggone sales taxes.

There were several of us that basically did that with our palisades.

2 Likes

Yeah…You cleared like 5000 bucks didn’t you?

Ya, ended up selling it for what I paid for it 18 months ago

1 Like

Free cars are absolutely the best kind of cars. It’s rare, but when it happens it is truly a thing of beauty. It can actually get one teary-eyed if they ponder it for a bit😁

1 Like