2021 Acura TLX debut

Assuming it will emulate the RDX interior with some “refreshing/all new” exterior…

if done right the high output 3.0 version will be like the g37 of 10 years ago where it competed against the 335i, awd forced induction is an interesting platform for tuners, could make for some really good results if done right i.e what jb4 is to bmw.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. Seen these shadowy pictures before only to be completely let down by the unveiling…

1 Like

Not getting my hopes up too high. After selling my 08 Type-S 6MT, the TLX has been a bore to drive. No significant bump in HP for 13 years is insulting. TLX lease matures 3/2021. See ya Acura. Maybe one day you figure out what made the brand special. Substance; not marketing.

1 Like

🤦

1 Like

Is that Alteza style rear lights :disappointed: I hope I am wrong.
Too ILX’ey for me.

My fears were right… The interior is hand me down from RDX…

Hoping the type-s has something different…

One of the pictures looks too out of whack where the front end is too long & they’re touting 0.5 in lower height 🤦

At least on this someone might use the drive mode select steering wheel once or twice

2 Likes

Hmmm big maybe lol cuz it will always be in the “aggressive” mode lol

While the interior is clearly related to the RDX, it looks a bit better in these leaked pics (perhaps a slightly smaller drive mode knob, slightly less busy detailing). I’m not fond of the offset exterior door handles. But I think it at least looks different from the Accord, and I can “get” why someone might be interested in this.

This is the non-type s version…

IDK the trackpad & push button gear selector is not fitting of this car.

This is the type-s as you can see the badge in the steering wheel.

just feels off.

THere is something missing with this styling…idk…will have to wait to see the full reveal.

Styling is styling, I have never been too concerned with sexy lines… leave that to the Germans, however reliability and tunability are something most car enthusiasts of the jdm variety or even in general are something they are interested in, the n/a front wheel drive or even n/a awd platforms leave very little to be desired when competing against the germans… even if it’s a 3 series you are competing against.

The success of the g37 was performance and value related when looking at the 3 series, even if the 3 series was far ahead in terms of tech and styling. I know an awd + turbo engine will make these cars hot for tuning as you see what jb has done for bmw.

Anyway just my 2 cents, would love to see honda step back towards more sporty cars rather than sporty looking cars.

True. They look lost.

Honda press photos are unbelievably awful.
Like how BMW makes an X1 look like a sports car, Honda PR can make an NSX look like a minivan.

Overall on the exterior I’m not blown away but it seems a huge improvement from the 1g TLX. Especially the proportions - way more FR type layout with the long hood. Anyway SH-AWD and a 3.0T would make up for even bad styling :laughing:

3 Likes

Hope so…

The fact that they went to these lengths and spent this kind of cash on development of a sedan gives me a lot of hope that this car is going to be a hell of a driver.

Is this a better pic?

The gray pics appear to be some sort of base model.

Oh, I actually sort of like the grey car b/c it’s a bit more subdued (if bland). It has shades of BMW 5-series and Genesis G70.

As someone who’s anal about ride quality, I also just shudder when I see the paper thin side walls on the red car (are those 20"??? I’m fine w/ 17", but I doubt that even the base car will have wheels that “small”).

I think they had to after the lack of it for last 12 years…but i am hopeful…

A little better angle and thats why I am waiting for the entire reveal…

I just hope that it is more back to sport-luxury root & not luxury but sporty root…

I agree. There’ll be less sedans available in the near future, but the ones that do continue on and get redesigned seem to be pretty strong offerings. OEMs would rather just kill a sedan rather than produce a cheap half-ass one that won’t sell at least not at a profit.

1 Like

The tires on my Accord are 235/40R19 and honestly it rides REALLY well. It was a huge concern of mine when test driving the car and I was really surprised. It’ll let you know when there’s a really sharp bump, but it’s really impressive given the nutso tire size.

Hey now…the 4G TL SH-AWD was an ugly beast but she could dance: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2010-acura-tl-sh-awd-vs-2010-audi-s4/

The Acura is blessed with nearly perfect cornering balance, so its rear differential can easily and dramatically alter the car’s handling attitude. It takes a little while to build up trust in the system, but you soon realize that if the car can handle any amount of power in the middle of a turn, it can handle anything the V-6 can throw at it. There’s no reason to be scared of the right pedal-the TL begs you to steer it with the throttle. The more power you add, the more neutral the TL’s cornering balance and the faster it scrambles through turns. Indeed, the Acura was faster than the Audi through nearly every single corner at BeaveRun.

I know we’ve had this argument before :laughing: Seriously, if you ever see a 4G TL SH-AWD 6MT for sale locally, drive it. I absolutely loved mine, I just had to make sure I never walked to it from the front :rofl: Not a perfect car by any means and pretty half baked in a lot of areas but a much better and more impressive car than the TLX. I was and still am shocked at how much of a downgrade the TLX was. “Smart Luxury”…

2 Likes