2021 330e BMW - electric drive not getting enough miles

I set ours to 9 amps and plug in at home with 110v. It depends on the circuit that you are connected. You don’t want to trip the breaker. So depending on where you plug in you can adjust. Definitely change it for chargepoint.

By the way my wife’s commute is 30 miles one way. All electric to work. She charges at work. uses a little gas on the way home … it’s more uphill. Definitely happy with the electrical distance.

Does it reduce the battery life or the amount of charge it holds if you increase it?

And how do you know what number to select each time? I wonder why this isn’t automatic…

The number to select is based on the outlet you plug into. The car has no way of knowing what the outlet is rated for. Increasing amperage until the breaker trips isn’t a viable strategy, which is why it defaults to the lowest setting.

The setting only applies when you’re using the charging cable that came with the car. If you’re using a charging station the setting doesn’t apply. The car and charging station will negotiate the maximum amperage they mutually support.

So just set it to what your outlet at home supports and forget it.

1 Like

I’ve had a 2021 BMW330e for 1 week and I’m getting used to hypermiling. I confirm that the range (either gas and electric) when the batteries (or the tank) is full changes time by time based on the most recent driving style. I typically drive very smooth so during this week I was able to see 19-20 miles at the beginning (likely the former owner was used to drive more aggressively than me) and today I got 26 because the car is getting used to me. I’m sure the same is going to happen to gas range. For now, full tank, I’m seeing 270… I’m targeting 320-330 miles.

@mllcb42 Hi Matt.
I was not aware of the fact that despite having 12 kWh capacity, only 9 are usable. Why this? what happens with the residual 3 kWh?

Thank you

Most (if not all) ev/phevs retain some sort of headroom at the top and bottom of the battery capacity to maintain battery health, so instead of charging from 0% to 100%, they actually charge from 15% to 90% or something like that. The specific amount varies by battery.

Long story short, its inefficient and bad for the battery to fully charge and fully discharge, so the usable battery capacity is always truncated.

It also helps not feel the pinch of battery degradation. As batteries are used, they develop a solid electrolyte interface layer that prevents further break down of the internal components. Its fairly typical to see a 5-10% reduction in battery capacity during the first 10k miles due to the break down and establishment of this interface layer. When some capacity overhead is maintained, you may see that eat more into the 3 kW overage rather than the 9 kW usable amount.

Different manufacturers handle that differently with how transparent they are to the end user.

1 Like

That makes sense…
thank you

I quote myself to confirm that my car got used to me LOL :laughing: and now after every electrical full recharge it gives me 25-27 miles. About gas refill, it gives me 350-360 miles.
My last trip (ca. 1200 miles in three days) my average MPG was 38 with only 40 miles out of 1200 in electric mode. That’s awesome!! and I was not even paying so much attention to my drive style. Long distance on Interstates at 75-85 MPH

1 Like

…and this morning, after a full re-charge the mile range was 29 miles!!!
amazing!