2021 330e BMW - electric drive not getting enough miles

What are you plugging into for charging?

The 330e has a 12 kWh battery with only 9 kWh useable, so if it’s taking you 3 hours, you’re charging at around 3 kW. That’s awfully low. May be a limitation of the on-board charger though, as the ratings I’ve seen call out charging speeds based on a 240v/16amp charger which is lower than any level 2 charger I’ve seen

1 Like

Any resolution here? Sounds like OP had a lemon.

Mine gets 20 - 25 daily. Drove 2500 miles on pure electric already. The predictometer is quite variable and I largely ignore it now since it’s usually understated.

How do I see the level of the charging station? I got similar rates from ChargePoint, EVgo and powerflex. I must be doing something wrong then.

If you really want to meet or exceed the 21 miles of rated electric range:

1. Drive efficiently. You’ll get the best range in ideal weather conditions and by staying on roads that are between 35mph-55mph.

2. Be mindful of climate. Turning off A/C or using the minimum setting goes a long way. Open the moonroof instead or pre-condition beforehand if possible.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

If you’re only getting 10 miles of electric range you’re either blasting the A/C, in an extreme climate, and/or taking the electric drive on the highway where it won’t be at its most efficient. When using navigation on the Auto eDrive setting the car will automatically switch between the engine and the electric motor to maximize range.

Or there’s a problem with the car…
Can’t imaging he’s driving like a nut.

My work charges in 3 hours from nearly drained. That’s slow? It would take 12 hours at home on a 110 outlet.

Honestly most people aren’t going to be getting the rated range unless they’re paying attention to efficiency.

LoL, I like that “predictometer”

My F30 PHEV predictometer was much less variable. The new algo is probably overthinking things

I think several of the electric only cars charge to 80% in under 20 minutes. So they can probably get 150 miles at least in that time and bmw only does 20 miles in 3 hours. That feels wrong…

Framed that way, I agree. But I’m smitten with BMW so they can do not wrong :wink:
EV/battery/charging technology is evolving so fast, none of this will matter soon. I’m just wondering where I’ll get (cheap) gas from in 20 years for my manual transmission ICE guzzlers.

This requires you to be hooked up to a DC fast charger at 150 kW+. I don’t know of any phevs that can charge at a DC fast charger.

The rate of charge here for an L2 charger is still quite low, but I bet that the limiting factor is the on-board charger not the station.

There really isn’t much need for most phevs to charge faster than that. If you’re traveling long distances (where an ev needs a DC fast charger), you just fill up with gas. The 20 mile electric range doesn’t do much. Instead, it’s about plugging in at night for your daily commute. If it’s charging overnight while you sleep, what’s the difference between 3 hours and 1.5 hours?

Ah now I get it. So the car has to be certified for fast charging.

I haven’t done the charging overnight at our place. I don’t want to hijack the thread - the garage has a dryer outlet (10-30) and depending on who you believe online it might help charge the battery faster or fry it. Working on finding a better solution.

BMW says if you buy a low amp 240V charger you can use it. I believe it’s 10miles per hour.

Low amp 240V because it’s a dryer outlet.
Costco has one for cheap

It’s definitely not as beneficial or effective. On a level 2 charger you might get 100-150 miles of range on a BEV in two hours, whereas on a PHEV such as this you’re lucky to get 20 miles. It’s almost a waste to even use a charger when out if there are other fully electric vehicles that could be charging instead.

Lol! NEVER!
Level 2 Maxes out at 7.8 kwh. MAX of 40 miles.

It’s not a certification issue. Most(maybe all?) Phevs don’t even have the plug to accept a DC fast charger.

DC fast charging would be a major waste on a PHEV.

Here’s one day later… now it shows 27!

That’s about the range I’m getting on most charges, unless I am either aggressive with acceleration and/or hit >70 mph on the highway.

My BMW just got back from servicing. They found nothing wrong with the vehicle.

1 Like

There are a lot of variables that can affect efficiency in a PHEV. I find that in a PHEV even more so than a BEV you have to be mindful to achieve the rated range.

Try minimizing or even disabling the A/C (use the moonroof), stick to city roads, and maximize regenerative braking. Figure out your mileage then. If you’re not getting 21+ miles in Max eDrive then you have a problem.

Getting half the range isn’t surprising if you’re not already maximizing efficiency. If I blast the A/C in my 2018 330e the range also drops to nearly half.

1 Like

I just played around in the car settings and see the default for charging is set at the lowest number 6 amps. Do you all increase that whenever you pull up to a ChargePoint etc?