2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport S; MSRP 49K; $295/Mo + Tax; First Month + Fees DAS

is there any chance of replicating this deal and shipping to Michigan? Or is this in unicorn territory

i dont know if this is a unicorn (which, by the way, what would classify a deal on this car as a :unicorn:?). i stalked the market pretty heavily until i found a dealer with a loaner that was ridiculously reduced.

as of a few days ago the discounts on these cars nationwide weren’t great (and there aren’t any national incentives) so in order to replicate this you gotta be pretty good at negotiating. in my case the price was already really really marked down so it was basically a done deal.

@HersheySweet i really hope it doesn’t get to that point but i’ll do it it necessary lol

@HersheySweet

I don’t wanna be that guy but you can only expect them to do so much on a -$7,000 net deal. You can’t expect dealers to catch everything and unfortunately sometimes crap happens. Use some of those savings and spend $50 on a local detailer to buff it out instead of bothering a GM. A GMs job isn’t to deal with heat customers, or manage anything aside from the staff of the dealership. Normally they very rarely have anything to do with the day to day operations and work exclusively with the owner / group and managers on bigger picture stuff. Who he would talk to is a sales manager but again I wouldn’t expect them to do anything.

5 Likes

Great deal!

Two questions if you don’t mind:

1. What did you use to track deals nationwide for loaners
    • when you find the dealer with a reduced price, did you ask them what the lease quote was first, or did you ask for a lower price first and then make them writeup the lease?

When I tried the first option, they just marked up everything else MF, etc.

1. Carguru: i filtered for used 2020 Discovery Sports with less than 5000 miles and mostly looked at ones that seemed highly optioned in the 30-40K range. you will find that there are not many. it’s a bit of a scavenger hunt because your goal is to find the loaner with the biggest discount from MSRP, and car guru does not list MSRP so you have to individually click on the cars to go to the dealer website.

2. if there’s one thing i learned on this website, it’s never to payment shop. always just focus on the price of the car and try to negotiate more. in my case the car was already negotiated 23%+ so no real room for anything more.

the dealership was weird about giving me bass MF. they only did so when they pulled my credit. they were in the .001 range prior to pulling, and then dropped to .00062 which brought my payment down $20 a month.

remember tho, with such a bit discount semething gotta five even if it means a marked MF. i was ready to take the real even at .001; nothing else on the market even came close

i’m more worried about getting dinged for wear and tear tbh for something that wasn’t my fault

If you’re Chase you have an automatic $1,000 buffer for excess wear so I wouldn’t sweat about it.

hm, interesting… the dealer said that JLR didn’t have any “buffers” which i thought was odd. i guess he was wrong.

i’ve emailed them anyways, let’s see what they say.

“A GM’s job isn’t to ensure his staff do their jobs”.

Gimme a break.

Keep escalating until someone takes responsibility

1 Like

Because they are trying to sell you product in F&I. Mentioning the wear buffer works against that pitch.

1 Like

You didn’t even quote me correctly

And as someone who works in the industry, it isn’t a GMs job to deal with customers. That falls on the sales managers and possibly a GSM depending on the store and situation. I hate it when customers act like Karens and feel the urge to talk to a GM about something that doesn’t even concern them lol

1 Like

I paraphrased the gist quite accurately IMO… since you predicted the managers below the GM wouldn’t do the right thing it is absolutely appropriate to escalate to the GM to make sure they do their jobs.

It’s not the owner’s job to deal with customers either but if the GM doesn’t take appropriate action, go to the owner.

So who decides that paying for a scratch repair on a -$7,000 digger is the “right thing to do”? It’s completely subjective. OP knew he was leasing a loaner which is by all means a used car that you can lease. You can’t expect it to be in showroom condition.

1 Like

One has nothing to do with the other.

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it.

Was the scratch on the bill of lading? Is that what you mean by shipping company has proof

I’m only reading really fast while ripping out shrubs

1 Like

Again that’s subjective. I’m sure you’d probably be a little more hesitant to say that if you were the one footing the bill.

1 Like

From what I ripped, it was there at pick up according to shipping company (their photos showed the scratch/scuff).

@ethanrs I don’t mean to come across as a Karen, but paying out of pocket? If his local dealer steps in, then they might just acquire a new customer. I agree, this is a slapper and massive front loss.

And I’m not saying they shouldn’t repair it, I would. I just don’t expect the sales manager on the deal to do anything about it. I could be wrong (and hope I am). I just don’t think when OP got this good of a deal that it is worth kicking and screaming over a small scratch.

1 Like

To the OP, honestly you received through time & effort a kick ass deal, find a paint guy to do a touch up for $100 enjoy the car for the next 3 years and move on.

3 Likes

Furthermore, I’ve worked with a Volvo gm on all my deals I’ve posted/shared so far. That’s been the least painful way, and I’ve been a Karen, but they don’t want to give up any profit (I got offered basically ‘invoice’ on a loaner).

However, he’s in FL, with their rate of accidents there’s gotta be one paint guy that works on JLR. You think a local dealer might step in, lend their shop, and get a customer?