2020 BMW M340i Low Inventory?

I’m in the market for new lease and I’m considering the new M340i xDrive. Upon checking the prices on Edmunds.com I saw there are only 60 cars available nationwide!! Only 1 car with a white (oyster vernasca) interior!! I hope this is inaccurate. Pease let me know your thoughts!
Also, is there another website to see what is available in the market based on my configuration? BMWUSA is only showing within 100 miles of my zip code and it seems to be matching Edmunds results anyway.

Edmunds.com and BMWUSA.com are totally correct. Inventory on M340is of all sorts is running incredibly low all over the nation. Almost all of my dealer contacts are reluctant to discount past invoice as a result. U.S.-market production is also shifting to Mexico, so coupled with COVID-19 production closures, what we’re seeing now is practically it for the 2020 model year. I would suggest either to go for one now, or wait for the 2021s to arrive (relatively) en masse.

2 Likes

FYI ‘21 model year production is set to begin in July. Obviously the existing demand needs to be satisfied but the ‘21s aren’t too far off at this point.

They are very low on inventory.

No one wants to discount them.

2 Likes

Lets hope they can ramp up production

I’ve got my fingers crossed…

IMO…,When there are so few of a car out there, it may not be worth chasing it (i.e LH worthy hacks will be few and far between.). But, there have been a couple posted in the past few weeks that were impressive under the circumstances.

First 2 are demos

https://www.dpatrickbmw.com/new/BMW/2020-BMW-M340i-fa37173a0a0d0cc70f4d48c6f4891535.htm

1 Like

Agreed not very many willing to discount! Only have one dealer willing to play ball beyond invoice.

Most flat out saying the same for X3 now. Good luck! I would just wait for 2021 if you are not rushed.

1 Like

Echoing all other brokers and dealer here on supply shortage.

Screws are even tightening on demo and loan cars. It’s gonna suck for a bit.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the prompt responses. If that’s the case I will wait till the beginning of next year. Too bad I’m returning my current leased car with unused 10k miles.

Assuming you like the current car & payment have you thought about just doing an extension on the lease?

I currently have 2017 Lexus IS 350 and I love it a lot but it’s the time to let it go :upside_down_face: and get a Beemer. I don’t drive a lot especially during this pandemic, so I will come back to the market hopefully once we start getting more supply of the M340i.

That’s bad news. I would be apprehensive buying a car that was assembled in Mexico. I’d be fine leasing it while it is under warranty, but would be hesitant to buy with a goal of keeping it. Just did not have good experience with products made in Mexico.

I get it, I really do. But there’s arguably a big difference in quality and materials between a Dodge built in Mexico and a BMW built in Mexico.

Just saying…

1 Like

How about BMW made in America vs BMW made in Germany…

1 Like

Agree this summer is gonna suck with discounts but should rebound this fall when 2021’s are out…

Have you considered a 330i M Sport and shelling out $700-800 for a fine tune? Should easily bump you up to 90lbs of torque…

If you need a car now, that’s an option.

I think people don’t realize that these Turbos can be tuned and really pump out a lot of power for a few hundred bucks

1 Like

I hope so, I like my M340i and am actually thinking of either buying it out at the end of lease or buying a used one if it is a better deal. I’d have to keep an eye on the reliability of '21 models. I hope that cars assembled in Mexico are as good as the '20 models that were made in Germany.

1 Like

I’ve seen misaligned doors and panel gaps on US, MX, DE, and even ZA built cars. Reliability wise: It’s a German car no matter where it was assembled so proceed with caution once you’re out of warranty.

In other words. If you’re leasing: Don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Can you fine tune on a lease ? Does it cause any issues with the warranty ?