2020 Acura MDX tech and down pymt question

No worries, happy to help. This is a good example of where doing your homework ahead of time really helps and just blindly looking at edmunds without asking doesn’t. Otherwise, you end up mistaking a 6% pre-incentive discount for a 16% one.

1 Like

I did try to understand before I got started by reading through the site but all the new lingo at once was a little confusing. Until I saw the whole process in action it wasn’t making sense for me. It’s getting clearer as I go so again thank you!

1 Like

Ok heres where I am at now with the dealer:

MSRP 52525
Sale price 36850
Mf .00215
Rv 27838.25
Incentives 8250
Loyalty 2000
10k/36 plus 10k rollover from existing lease
2k down plus first months payment
$459/month

So, this means its about a 10% discount off MSRP prior to incentives, am I calculating this correctly? @mllcb42 @jrod78

$52525 MSRP
minus $36850 Selling Price
equals $15675 Total Discount

With Acura you need to break out total discount into its parts:
$8250 Acura-to-Dealer Incentive
$7425 Dealer Discount = PRE-Incentive Discount
14.1% PRE-Incentive

BUT, 14% is high. My GUESS is the $2,000 loyalty might be buried in your selling price. You need to ask your dealer where he is reflecting the loyalty in your deal.

IF loyalty is in the selling price, your dealer discount shrinks to 5425 or 10.3% as you indicated.

What is the $7425 Dealer discount? This is the first time I’ve heard of this.

Explained in various Acura deals posted here. See one I noted above.

Oh ok I see what you are saying. I was looking at it like this:

MSRP 52525
Sale price 36950

MSRP 52525 minus 8250 Acura to Dealer incentive minus 2000 loyalty = 42275

42275-36950 = 5325 off MSRP roughly 10% off MSRP

Yes, my understanding is loyalty is in the sale price.

Our math is the same except you subtract/add in a different order. Many ways to calculate figures.

The way my brain works, I like to look at the dealer’s selling price offer and see how much of a total discount I am getting. I break the total discount into its components so I can evaluate whether I am getting a good deal. Use whatever methods make the most sense for you.

1 Like

How many deals have you worked through dealers? Do you have enough offers to see how each one stacks up against one another?

Just one other dealer that doesn’t seem interested in negotiating. They gave me 10k/36 3k plus first month due at signing $485/month. I was honest and told them I had a quote from somewhere else for lower and they responding basically saying that they are selling their “luxury dealership experience” along with the car…free oil changes for 6 months and free carwashes…bfd :slight_smile:

Push for the lower mf .00215 with loyalty and target 12 percent pure discount before 8250 lease cash and 2000 loyalty.

2 Likes

Do I just ask the dealer to use the .00215 MF?

(Assumes tier 1 credit) 0.00225 is the buy rate MF BUT if you are a loyal Acura owner/lessee your dealer can drop it to 0.00215. Ask current and future dealers you would like your deal at the loyalty buy rate of 0.00215. A “nice” dealer will do this automatically.

1 Like

This will be my 3rd acura lease. Kinda pissed now that the she didn’t use .00215.

Just texted her, she says she IS using the.00215 mf.

How many more dealers do you want to engage in a negotiation for a deal?

I think the answer to that is clear since this lady doesnt seem to want to budge…looks like I need to find another place.

1 Like

How many rounds of back and forth have you had with this dealer?

3 or 4 and this last one she told she was “all in”.

You have a tenacious spirit - I am rooting for you.

Let me give you something to mull over. @jrod78 gave you really good guidance: 12% pre-incentive at the loyal buy rate of 0.00215 and $2,000 loyalty. This is a good/great deal template.

How far off are you from your goal? $878 (6303-5425). The difference between 12% and 10.3% pre-incentive. You deserve 0.00215 and every dealer should give you $2,000.

So now it comes down to the value of your time. Working a deal takes time and effort. You can do better than 10.3%. But 10.3% is not bad - some would say it’s good in this market. Keep pushing if you want 12%.

But in today’s market, dealers do NOT want your business IF you want an aggressive deal. Dealers want buyers/lessees that are willing to pay up for “a luxury dealership experience”. You are cursed with a dealer friendly market.

Here is what I would do if I had a free afternoon. I would call 2 dealers that have the exact MDX I want on their lot. I would tell the dealer I am interested in Stock #123456. I want a 36/10K lease. My offer is $37,950 (12% pre-incentive + $8250) at the loyal MF of 0.00215 plus $2,000 loyalty and 10K rollover miles. If you like what she says, you have a deal. If not, thank them for their time and call dealer #2. Repeat.

By the end of this afternoon I would have a deal - 12% or 10.3% or something in between.

If I had plans this afternoon, I would take the 10.3% deal and know that I could have saved $878 more if the market was more conducive to aggressive deals.

NOTE: Do NOT talk to Acura dealers about pre-incentive discount and dealer cash. Just calculate your offer price and keep it simple. Your offer price has built in a a great pre-incnentive and reflected all dealer cash so keep it simple.

Good luck.

6 Likes