2019 Lexus RX 450h Luxury - Good Deal + Help with Calculator

Alright, I guess I’ll ask…
-I am assuming that the initial Cap Cost of $58k reflects the discount from $61.4k (5.5% off). How do they get to the Adj CC of $60,144?
-Where does the $650 in cap fees come from (not in the initial quote)? (ok, I see it now they just moved it from the up-frt lic/doc fee)
-What do you mean by $0 money down? They have you with $6.5k MSDs and another $1700ish (tax?) DAS. I assume you mean 0 CCA but I suggest you say that.
-Taking a step back and looking at the deal as a whole, there are a lot of words to describe this offer and “up-front” or “transparent” do not appear in that list. I mean come on it is not difficult to list all of the added costs and discounts in order on a piece of paper so that you can just add them up to come up with the true adjusted cap cost less what they are asking for up front. This alone makes me question how trustworthy this dealer is.
-I don’t know much about leasing in Minnesota but $705/mo with 9 MSDs and another $1700 DAS for a $61.5k MSRP vehicle seems pretty high to me.
-IMO the F-Pace is a far superior vehicle that normally doesn’t really lease that well (lower residual). However, considering this offer as the competition I am not so sure what deal would be better. You should surely get a better discount.

1 Like

Yeah, I now see I was being too nice at the beginning and comparing how he was versus the other dealers and taking that as transparent and up-front.

His latest email stiff-arms even my attempt at 9% off MSRP and .001 MF. So I guess we will move on. Thanks for all of the help and advice, guys. This has been eye opening. Off to Jaguar tonight!

2 Likes

Good luck. Salesmen are awful glad you didn’t get roped in by a bad one. Good luck w/ Jag!

2 Likes

Jag was a letdown. Ah well. We are looking at the BMW X3 on Saturday. Heh.

Lexus came back with another $500 off but $1400 down plus the 9 MSDs. Said no and gave them my final offer (which is around 9% off at $56,000 and .00023 MF after 9 MSDs and $0 CAC). We are working with a Lexus dealer in Chicago (we are in Minneapolis), as well.

Their latest (bunk) offer:

2 Likes

Bummer. I still don’t get how they are coming to that Adj CC.

Just out of curiosity, what was the letdown at Jag, the deal or the vehicle?

1 Like

Vehicle…we were really unimpressed (and the dealership was very poor, too - surprising for Range Rover/Jaguar). They set us up with the V6 S, too. I guess we are not matched up for our current needs with the Jaguar F-Pace. We want more of a family vehicle that’s plush, comfortable, and quiet…the crazy nice performance of the Jag doesn’t resonate as much (plus it’s MN and it is snowy out so not like we can rip into things). I personally have a 2018 VW Golf R manual with snow tires for the winter so I get my fix that way. :slight_smile:

EDIT: and thanks for the heads up on the Adj CC - I will inquire about it if they meet my terms.

I just recently closed a lease deal over last weekend. 2019 RX450h f sport. MSRP is $62,299. Option include HUD, Mark Levinson, triple LED headlights, touch free trunk, panoramic moonroof, 360 camera, fsport package, tow prep package, accessory package. $599/month 39month/15k miles with DAS of 1st payment and 9MSD. This is in Florida area. I could have waited for a better deal from a broker on here, but wife really likes the color combo of white/red and mark levinson. Overal, quite happy with the car and the lease deal. Only draw back is having to drive several hours to Orlando to close on the deal.
Here is my leashackr calculator

3 Likes

Well, that explains it. If you don’t want sport and you want something as quiet as possible, you don’t want an F-Pace. A 25t or 30t will be less “vocal”, the S has the Jaguar growl built in :slight_smile:

If you are looking for an alternative to the Lexus I suggest trying the Volvo XC60/90 and/or the Mercedes GLC/GLE (depending on your size needs). They tend to focus more on luxury over performance and are in your price range. Audi is somewhere in the middle but they don’t lease quite as well.

I see that there are only 2 Lexus dealers in the Minneapolis area. This might be the source of your issue, not enough competition. You might want to try telling your not so trustworthy Lexus salesman that his offers are forcing you to expand your search and that you are looking for transparency in whatever deal you make. If he can’t do 9% off and the base MF just tell you what he can do and that is it. He will come back with something about how honest he is to which you can reply with “ok, maybe I misinterpreted your offers, can you explain how you came to the Adj CC of $60,144 on the offer at $705/mo?”

It is also possible that they are truly unwilling to discount that much. If they are confident that they can sell what they have at 5% off why would they charge less? Your goal is to find out how low they will go while maintaining your own integrity. I think they can do better, I suggest that you try calling a couple other Lexus dealers a bit farther away or try a diff brand.

1 Like

Thank you, ddelib. This is very helpful.

Funny you mention the growl - my wife was like “this is loud” - I kept telling her it was more performance oriented than the others. :slight_smile:

My response to his last offer was that I want 9% off MSRP, base MF, and $0 CAC and we will sign Saturday. Also that I am lucky to have a wife that doesn’t like change - so we are ready to walk away, and that we looked at Jaguar (told him it didn’t work out) and plan on looking at BMW on Saturday (X3) - plus, I told him we are working with a friend that works at a Chicago-area Lexus dealer. It’s easy for me to fly there (have lots of airline miles) and drive the 6-7 hours back to Minneapolis.

We will add Mercedes and Volvo to our search! Hoping we can lock in the Lexus - but you may be right - they may just be able to sell without issue.

1 Like

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck in your search. Let us know how things are going.

1 Like

I was able to get 10% off before incentive on a 2018 450h last year from lexus of milwaukee. Also a 9% off from Des Moines Lexus dealer. If you are willing to fly out, may want to expand your search area. Midwest is a bit diffucult, but 10% is possible. Oddly I found chicago dealers are less aggressive.

1 Like

@sk3tch If the car has been sitting on the lot for a while, then dealership has more motivation to discount more for you. To find out how long has the car been on the lot, you just need to create a free lexus owner account and input in the VIN of the car. I was able to find out how long my car has been there through lexus owner site. Look at service history and usually there is some info there in regard of when the car got off the port and got its first intial delivery check.

1 Like

Thanks - and also thank you @stormgeo - I will contact Milwaukee.

They sent me the invoice, shows that it showed up to port in October. He has mentioned that they have asked for more Premium trim (I’m looking at Luxury) - so my guess is this is a big time lot sitter.

Still no reply RE: my demands, but I setup Costco Auto pricing for Volvo (always a good base to start with) and we will visit Volvo and BMW on Saturday, for sure. Maybe Mercedes but I’ve found it is pretty exhausting to hit more than two dealerships in one day, lol.

EDIT: they came back with a counter…not quite what I was asking for ($800 short):

This is 7.5% off MSRP, $0 CAC, 9 MSDs, MF at base (.00023) - $647.09/mo for 36 months, 12K miles.

His statement - “I spoke to my GSM again today and they will do this deal(below) but that is us all in and if you decide to do it please let me know so I can reserve the Grey RX450h because we only have the one.”

Better, but I still don’t see where that adj CC is coming from! I plugged the numbers in to the calculator and they don’t add up. I see $832 acq fee and $739 doc and lic + cap fees and $1750 O-rewards (is this a rebate?). Where are the other charges that make your Adj CC go up from the initial cap cost? Either some charges are missing from their work sheet or something is wrong. It also looks like they are adding the tax up front but they can’t add - cash @ sign of $7600 - MSDs are $5850 and tax is $1474.17.

I just plugged some numbers into the calculator quickly - I didn’t make your cash down the same because the calc only lets you do zero or it adds all fees and I don’t have time to manipulate the numbers to make the cash at signing equal $7600 with the MSDs changing as the price goes down. Someone check my numbers but I am seeing around $590/mo with about $7700 due at signing. Assuming the init CC at $56,800 a $1750 taxable rebate (if that is what it is) .00095 MF adjusted to .00023 with MSDs and the prev mentioned Acq fee and Lic/Doc/capped fees. That is a BIG difference so I suspect something is missing. Perhaps that $1750 isn’t an upfront rebate?

1 Like

Thanks again, ddelib. I sent him an email asking about those numbers - so we will see what they say.

I do know in MN there is a different tax setup. But this is also why I had that question at the start - I can’t get the leasehackr calc to work with this deal.

The $1750 gets added to the 9 MSDs ($5850) and it totals our cash@closing ($7,600).

We are very close to compromising and taking this deal.

EDIT: buddy that works at a Lexus dealer in Chicago is running the numbers to see if this is a good deal or if it’s worth it to go out there.

EDIT2: buddy said he could maybe get me $5 less per month - but that would require me to fly or drive to Chicago and drive back home to Minneapolis…so I think I’m good. :slight_smile:

The sales guy at Lexus is getting me info on the “Adjusted Cap Cost” - said it isn’t a big deal. The “Capped Fees” is title and stuff like that built in so I can do the $0 CAC.

All the fees, taxes and first month are getting capped. Add all those up, subtract the rebate and you get the adj cap cost.

1 Like

Thats it. I simply forgot the first month I figured it was part of the additional cash at signing on top of the MSDs. Combine that with the O-Rewards of $1750 not being an additional rebate despite the way the sheet is written - ICC add fees less o-rewards leading to the ACC. It looks like they are including it in the Initial CC. This makes the numbers look right. The question is what did you think the dealer discount was? If you are cool with about 4.5% from the dealer and a $1750 rebate then you are done.

I say find out what your friend in Chicago comes back with before you decide. @stormgeo is saying he got 10% Plus incentives but on a 2018. The offer you have is about 4.5% plus incentives on a 2019.

1 Like

I thought the $56,800 represents the discount on MSRP - that’s 7.5%. The Adjusted Cap Cost is a result of taking the costs I would have anyway, and wrapping them into a $0 cash at closing (just the MSDs) deal. Correct or no?

There are no deals on 2018s, anymore, unfortunately - at least for lease.

First, the offer you have is not $0 at signing. it is $1750 plus MSDs due at signing. I’ll bet that they chose that number simply because it makes the payment just under $650.

Second, the word discount can be misleading. The dealer gives you a discount off MSRP. The manufacturer gives additional incentives. Everyone gets the incentives, your negotiations are towards what the dealer is contributing. In this case, the dealer is giving about 4.5%. Sure it is semantics, but if it is not explicitly stated it can get confusing.

1 Like

Thanks.

I guess I don’t understand.

The cash@closing is the $1,750 lease cash + the MSDs, yes - I actually only pay $5,850 for the MSDs. $0 down for the actual vehicle as I get the $5,850 back at the end of the 36 months.

If I paid tax, first payment, title, and all of the other fees at signature - the discounted price would still be 7.5% at $56,800 - correct? Because of not paying that at signature, I have an adjusted cap cost of $58,743.01 - which makes it look like less of a discount, but it’s a courtesy so we can go in and really spend $0 (outside of MSDs and Lexus cash).

I am off base with the above?