2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid Base. As/of 01/08/2020

Decided to stop by a dealership to see if i could do better than via email.

Got quoted 160 sign and drive. That is just MSRP minus the 15k incentive. Asked for a small dealer discount of 4-5% and to waive the etch fee. Best they said they can do is 300 bucks off… “You can’t get one of them big discounts on these like your Mercedes.” is what i was told.

I wanted to get out of there so I told them I had another email offer for 111 a month. They told me it was probably not legit.

Unfortunately the 111 a month one sold…

that is the $14500 rebate that is on the hood from Hyundai and another $1500 from the state of CT.

Found a sales manager who quoted me $28,999 on a $31,235 MSRP so I had a little fun with him. I wonder what all these amazing “dealer adds” are lol…

I’m still waiting to hear what rebates I combined exactly…

The list price on the dealers website is $29,118 however their quote is for full MSRP. I’m confused why in the post above I was told not to assume I’d pay full MSRP, but now it seems like no one is actually giving a discount on these.

Looks like a classic case of supply and demand. You should at least push for the 400 dollar suggested dealer contribution in the ad.

After stepping into the broker world and the amount of tire kicking I dealt with, over a car that is cheaper than what most on here spend in fast food for the month…I have a new found respect for the guys who do this on a daily basis. It cost me 19.99 and a few emails to a GM friend to find out my three year old can follow written directions better.

5 Likes

The dealership staff and management in many cases aren’t much better, especially with Hyundai/Kia. I have another guy trying to call me after I specifically said to his lackey that I would be happy to speak over the phone once I had something in writing such as a lease sheet to review first. Also please call after 5 since I’m at work. Called at 3pm and sent nothing. Don’t forget not one, but two “Internet” employees who scheduled me for unsolicited appointments after I told them I’d be happy to come in once I had a lease sheet to review. Needless to say they sent absolutely nothing over as well. The devil seems to be in the details with this one, although even at full sticker its kind of hard to royally screw anyone over on these. I’m surprised I haven’t received any marked up quotes.

1 Like

In fairness it does sound like a lot of these stores cant seem to help themselves from bloating what should be really quick, straightforward sale of a car that would otherwise sit and rot on the lot for another year. Get a few people on the internet interested in an “OK” Korean electric car and all of a sudden Mitchell over at Harvey Weinstein Kia/Hyundai/Genesis thinks he’s selling Teslas.

1 Like

The average American and many of the lurkers here who don’t post aren’t the brightest intelligence wise. It’s honestly good though because someone has to sign lease deals for Honda Accord Hybrids with $14k down

2 Likes

Interested in an “OK” Korean electric car> Blockquote

Selling this thing really well.

So if I end up under $200pm, truly paying only first payment to drive away, that seems OK for an OK Korean electric car… basically 25% of that is tax. Those getting closer to $100 a month with zero down may be benefiting from additional state rebates, I have only the $14500 federal/Hyundai rebate. Right?

You could not be more correct. I got a twenty something kid who gave me the “smoking deal speal” these dealers have been spewing forever. Talking to them is the equivalent of level one tech support when your internet goes out. I just email the GM with a payment amount.

Correct the taxes and other add ons are covered by state incentives. What state are you in?

Maryland. $3000 state incentive on the table, but the state fund ran out of money so…

Ask me about my Volt lol… it’s an “OK” Plug in Hybrid that I got a great deal on. Nothing wrong with that. At this kind of price you are going to get something that’s compromised in some manner. If you are shopping the car, it’s not really going to check a lot of boxes. If you are shopping the deal, its obviously tough to beat at the moment as long as it suits your basic needs.

I don’t even think it’s intelligence, its mostly laziness and wanting everything done for them. @Swift posted some great quick no muss, no fuss deals on these that would be perfect for someone who didn’t have the confidence, knowledge or desire to grind it out (or risk running out of supply), and people still asked for the cheaper one he posted earlier that was already gone.

4 Likes

I posted 8 base models 3 dollars more expensive than Swift’s and people sent me half baked PM’s so I just shut down the deal thread. I can get my hands on about nine more cars base and limited and I refuse to offer them. I’m letting the dealer crush people who come in…he told me he sold five today at 245 a month some even with money down.

5 Likes

Did they etch the vin all over the cars?

Tons of vin etching, few boat and summer home payments.

1 Like

So this comment is probably the antithesis of this type of site, but I’m trying to get into this car because it makes financial sense. I don’t know what other new-ish vehicle exists for so cheap cost of ownership. But all the alarms in my head are going off “don’t lease… it is a bad move… at 3 years you’ll have nothing to show for it.”

Except all the cash I’ll have saved up over the course of 3 years…