2019 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

As I’ve said elsewhere, my current Ford CMax lease isn’t up until August. I’m not attached to the idea of another Ford (quite the contrary), but a loaded one does everything I need it to and it’s cheap. I’d prefer a wagon or an SUV over a sedan, but the 2019 Fusion is basically the sedan version of what I’m driving now. It’s HOV eligible here in CA. Because it’s a PHEV, the various tax credits have really distorted the residual value on an already pricy (for Ford) car, and by mid-May I had given up and started looking at other cars. I worked a great deal for an XC60 T6 MOM that I was ready to pickup this weekend, and then Ford got back in the game with two new incentives.</short story long>

Here is the current deal I have on the 1 first-color choice Fusion Energi in 500 miles. There is still probably a couple bucks if I keep grinding, but it beats the $550/mo I got quoted 2 weeks ago for the same car.

36 month / 45k miles / $0 DAS - $365/mo + tax
MSRP $39080
Sales Price $35317 (some BS where it had the sales price and then added back in some $500 3M shield, we’ll be discussing)
Incentives 11507
Residual 35%
They didn’t offer Ford’s rent charge but the buy rate is 0.35% (0.0001458). My math has the payment a few dollars lower so I’m guessing they marked this up.

What do the hackers think? Besides “why are you looking at a Fusion when you were about to lease an XC60?” :wink:

I just came in here to say LMAO THAT RESIDUAL :rofl:

I think you should run the numbers on a 24mo with that massive incentive.

2 Likes

Most of the PHEVs I looked at have residuals in the mid-30s. Ford was the first one I looked at and choked, then I looked at the Outlander PHEV and several others.

And definitely not 24 months with that structure.

Why definitely not? What’s the residual at 24?

1. Ford has some kind of cockamamie formula that they use that isn’t the normal leasing formula. I actually mentioned it here on Edmunds about 5 years ago: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4144442#Comment_4144442

2. Do you want a car that is completely discontinued, hybrid, etc. or not?

3. Volvo is a world of difference from Ford.

4. I had two Fusions, so I know what I’m talking about.

5. Should you have any issues, my experience has shown me that Volvo is so much more responsive and easier to deal with in every way imaginable.

6. That’s still a decently high price for a Fusion, even with that MSRP, given that they’re trying to clear out their sedans.

2 Likes
  1. Funny enough, now that I look, I’m pretty sure I read your post before I leased the current one.
  2. All things being equal, I’d like a Plug-in Hybrid > Hybrid > ICE > EV. I’m in my second hybrid now, I drive it like it’s stolen (not my 2004 WRX but I have beaten a few ricers off the line with it) and it gets 38mpg with 87 octane. If I could buy a new CMax I would (I looked). If this one hadn’t been hit I’d buy this one out - but I don’t want someone else’s used one. I don’t like the Fusion as much as the CMax but it’s fine. I wouldn’t take a non-Hybrid Fusion and I don’t think I want a Hybrid one either. The Kia Niro is the closest thing to the CMax but I hate the black trim look around it, even though I’ve driven it and I like how it drives it’s fugly. The S60 T8 and 530e lease well, but not this well.
  3. It certainly is. I’ve had Hondas, Subarus, VWs, Mazdas, and Fords. Bless their hearts, Ford Service motto should be “we’re pretty sure it’s fixed this time”. The Volvo problem for me is, I can’t get what I want in time (I’ve been trying to order unsuccessfully since March), the programs are better on the vehicles I don’t want, and the inventory isn’t great. The deal I have on the (Swedish) XC60 is a great deal, but it’s not a v60, and it’s a T6. No T5s that aren’t Chinese ‘L’ VINs which I won’t take, and the T8 rarely leases well (besides all the XC60 T8s were build in China). A lot of compromises.
  4. I trust you =) I wouldn’t take a basic one, and I wouldn’t buy it out.
  5. If I exclude my local Volvo dealer, I believe you. My local dealer where it would likely be serviced has been tough to deal with sales-wise and everyone I know who has one here has trouble getting service appointments.
  6. Don’t disagree. When I reached out earlier this month I was expecting something like “$425/mo” when it should have been $399 - it was $550. There were deals on every other model, now the Energi. Now there is a lot more money on the hood and RCL. I agree it should be cheaper, maybe it will be, but it’s possible after the RCL bonus ends tomorrow it doesn’t come back.

Ford has also that nasty habit of eventually dropping ALL lease incentive and moving to purchase. I tried to time once and got burnt. I followed the next year and saw the same thing happen. On this current lease, I was in the middle of a lemon buyback on my 2016 GTI and as soon as it was approved (but wasn’t being turned-in for a couple months) I IMMEDIATELY found this one, leased it, and parked it until I dumped the GTI. The lease incentives flipped to purchase the next month.

Residual goes from 35% to 43% but rent goes from 0.35 to 3.15

For phev there is a trade off in CA going to 24 as you lose the $1500 CVRP rebate…so check if it’s worth it.

Many to choose from…here are some of the phev available now:

Toyota Prius Prime
Honda Clarity PHEV
Chevrolet Volt
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
BMW 530e
BMW i3 REx
Kia Niro PHEV
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
BMW 330e
Mercedes C350e
Mercedes GLC 350e
Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV
Mercedes GLE 550e
Audi A3 Sportback e-tron
Volvo XC60 PHEV
Hyundai IONIQ PHEV
Mini Countryman SE PHEV
Volvo S90 T8 PHEV
BMWX5 xDrive 40e
Hyundai Sonata PHEV
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid
Kia Optima PHEV

Thanks. I’m not interested in CAEV (rather get the HOV sticker - can’t have both).

Great list thanks, but:
Toyota Prius Prime - dreadful from stem to stern
Honda Clarity PHEV - TERRIBLE lease
Chevrolet Volt - not leasing well now
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - no kids / no minivan
BMW 530e - have considered but no loyalty/conquest/OL to make it attractive enough (even made a special trip to LA last week for an OL event and couldn’t get in)
BMW i3 - :-1:t2:
Kia Niro PHEV - most CMax like but has some really unattractive trim. Even the loaded one isn’t terribly nice inside
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - interior isn’t for me. Leases ok but not great
BMW 330e - not HOV eligible in CA
Mercedes C350e & GLC 350e - honestly haven’t looked at either
Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV - too big
Mercedes GLE 550e - too big
Audi A3 Sportback e-iron - Audi stopped selling new ones last year. I looked and couldn’t find any new for sale. Probably closest to what i’m looking for
Volvo XC60 PHEV - doesn’t lease well at all, final assembly in China
Volvo S90 T8 PHEV - I’ve seen a couple LH deals on these but most I’ve seen are Chinese built and too big for some parking garages I park in
BMWX5 xDrive 40e - X5 is too big
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid - as a former WRX owner, the regular Crosstrek was not an enjoyable ride, the Hybrid was same but slower. And there is very little inventory (unless that changed in the past couple weeks)
Haven’t looked at any of these:
Hyundai Sonata PHEV
Hyundai IONIQ PHEV
Mini Countryman SE PHEV
Kia Optima PHEV
[/quote]

I thought I was ready to be done shopping but maybe not. I really don’t want a sedan or an SUV. Very few hatches on this list but maybe I’ll drive a few more and decide what I like/don’t like about them.

I was going to suggest this model, as there is a ton of trunk money on a 2018 model right now out west. But it is large and long, so parking could be a challenge coming from a CMAX. I really liked the Cmax I leased a few years ago (200 mpg with free charging at work and limited mile commute), but when lease was up, the financials had changed and my $239/mth lease was going to be close to $400/mth. Fusion energi is a nice looking vehicle, but was too low for me (I’d RIP my pants within 2 weeks of getting in and out of the vehicle).

Holy crap that residual is beyond awful, no wonder there’s $11,500 of money on the hood!

1 Like

Ford took a bath on my Cmax energi when I turned it in 3 years ago (buyout was $20.5k, sold at auction for $13k). I think they have learned their lesson.

There are 12 within 500 miles and all Chinese :-1:t2::-1:t2:

Appreciate the bit about fusion sitting lower than the cmax, I hadn’t paid enough attention to that.

The Outlander and Clarity are also in the mid-30s. Honda has been advertising these crazy sub-300 leases - it’s the very base one. The other one with equipment is almost 40k, 34% residual, no incentives. Lease in the mid-600s (I think 635/mo with tax IIRC).

A lot of variables. Not exactly a compliance car but close. Tax credits distort true residuals. Ford only made at peak about 2,700/yr and never did any advertising. They were all made in Michigan.

Mine had a residual of $14,xxx and if it gets $8k at auction (with the $15k repair) I’ll be shocked.

Ford may take a bath on those but tiny numbers compared to volume fleet vehicles.

It’s a lease, why does this matter? Are they materially worse than other location builds?

3 Likes

My question, too.

Gawd, that’s been my partner’s experience the few times he’s taken it to the dealer (it usually goes to an independent mechanic). The car (last-gen Fusion hybrid) itself is very good, but the idiot dealer and service station has nearly completely turned me off of considering a Ford in the future.

1 Like

Had same experience with Chevy dealer(s) on an owned Cruze Diesel. Swore never to go GM again but somehow wound up in a Cadi ELR for a sweet deal and my local dealer turned my thoughts around.

Wonder if I could just get warranty work on a GM done at a Cadi dealer!

2 Likes

John, have you taken a stab at these recently? Or anyone else?

Up to almost $13k incentives in MI.

My initial email quote from one dealer on a 36/15k was under $300/mo :grimacing:

2 Likes

I gave up in June but that’s insane! That is a very nice car that can go months without a tank of gas (depending on driving) for $300/mo. I just didnt want a sedan or to deal my Ford dealer ever again.