2019 BMW i3 BEV $47,xxx MSRP, 24/10k, Effective $207/mo, $0 DAS + 7 MSDs ($1750), 0.436% of MSRP

I have been wanted another BMW i3 for some time, particularly the BEV (as I have always had the REX). So, for the past few weeks, Ive been chasing them down (geography be damned) literally everywhere employing my usual approach (MSRP discount).

I tried a different approach on this particular i3 just for fun………Instead of the usual hard core MSRP discount method, I simply threw a monthly out there for the dealer to say yay/nay to. This would normally be bad bad bad, but I had a vibe it might fly on this one with very minimal fuss. (Of course, as I had been trying to hack this car until I have been blue in the face for a few weeks, I already knew what was out there and what the structure would need to be to get to this point…I did not go into this method blindly). But, knowing this I wanted to see what would happen if I simply let the dealer finagle the structure to suit the requirement. This was an experiment of sorts, mainly because I had both the aforementioned vibe (and I was sick of hacking i3) :slight_smile:

In any case, I have no idea how the dealer structured the lease to get to the below, and I don’t care. This is seriously 180 degrees out from my usual approach (@Bostoncarconcierge will vouch for that…LOL), but I did it anyway. I simply said “$0 DAS, 7 MSDs and $200/mo”. 10 minutes later they agreed at $205 plus tax. The fact that this was a few hours before closing time at the end of the month absolutely played into this big time. This was part of my approach, not just for the “we need to hit a number for the month” concept, but also such that, with my app in on the last day of the month, if the programs change (improve) next month I can take that route. If they worsen, BMW will honor the previous months program since the app was in before the programs changed. So, its a no lose scenario with only an upside.

Could I have finagled a few more bucks out of the deal…probably. But, at some point chasing a number (guilty as charged) becomes excessive and when the deal is more or less what you want, one needs to jump on it.

The numbers came out as shown below. Since I have a roof full of solar panels on my house, 99% of the “fuel” for the car will be free, so at the contractual mileage this will save ~$125/mo in gas (versus my current DD), so the net cost of the i3 ends up being less than $100/mo. This is a metric that is specific to me, but the actual cost will end up being ~0.174%/mo. This is why I “jokingly” say “I don’t care” to all of the deal specifics below that I normally hold so dear in LHing.

2019 BMW i3 BEV New

MSRP: $47,xxx
Selling Price: I don’t care
Discount off MSRP ; I don’t care
Actual Monthly Payment: $205 plus 7% tax ($219)
Cash Due at Signing: $0
MSD: 7 ($1750)
Incentives: $7500 EV, $1500 loyalty, $1000 OL

Months:24
Annual Mileage:10k
MF: I don’t care
Residual:64%
MSDs placed on BMW card for triple points (-$52).
Total lease cost ~$4984 (23 payments of $219 = $5037 - BMW card points of $52).
Effective payment of $4984 / 24 = $207.xx.
0.436%/mo of MSRP

13 Likes

Great deal! I actually LOL’d when I read:

Selling Price: I don’t care
Discount off MSRP ; I don’t care

Because in this case, who really cares how they got there.

2 Likes

I know you don’t care, but I was curious so I did the calculation and that’s about 12.5% off MSRP. Not bad! Congrats, the i3 is a really great car.

1 Like

Congrats! Glad you are back in another i3.

I think it’s 14% no? Or just under (pre rebates)

Comes out to 12.5% for me in the calculator, but I put the incentives under untaxed since they aren’t taxed in my state. If they’re taxed it would be a larger discount.

Now you have new goal. $100/mo.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the MSRP discount was (as the dealer fees, reg, etc all play into this), plus how they handled my OL code will make a diff as well. I believe the rebates were all taxable.

In any case, I have a bunch of numbers from other dealers with MSRP discounts in the 16%+ range, and this monthly trashes them all. So…it came back to my smart @$$ “I don’t care” again…LOL

I think it will cost effectively under that per month for this car (once the cost avoidance of fuel is finagled in).

Lol thats sick! Like the approach for the last day of the month as well. Neither party has time to go through all the details at the last hr. Im guessing outside of FL deal ?

Does it count as sold for the month for the dealer even if the car is picked up next month?

1 Like

If you sign the lease agreement, then it does. Just putting in the credit app doesn’t count.

That’s what I thought.

Yes…New England

Based on the info I have from the dealer, in working backwards yes it seems to be about 14%. I can’t get the calculator to align very well (and I think the dealer moved some of the costs on their end around to perhaps inflate the sales price, but reduce costs in another area). But, if I assume all of the rebates are untaxable (which can’t really be true ), waive the acquisition fee, apply base MF, the calculator comes out within a few bucks at 14%. My gut says they may have actually discounted the car differently, did not waive the acquisition fee (thats a nice $925 to Finance right off the bat), and perhaps padded the MF to make more money on the back end. I’m guessing this is the approach they took because the car would be such a loser on the front end anyway.

In any case, as long as they got to the right end point, (as fun as it is to know exactly the route taken to get there), i this case however they got there is OK by me because I am cool with the end monthly.

Bmw would have to pay me 205 a month to be seen in that car. But it is a sweet deal

You are in the majority…sales figures below​:grin:. I have had a lot of cars in my life, and I can honestly say this is my favorite (and this will be my 5th one):heavy_check_mark: I love the fact that it is eccentric, efficient, and exceedingly rare (in my part of the country anyway). I easily see more Ferraris than i3 around here.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Bmw can’t make an i3 look like a normal looking car now a damn box w wheels

Eccentric people, eccentric cars😁

3 Likes

I agree the look is probably not appealing to a lot of people, but it’s my favorite among 7 cars that I had so far.

Btw, Great job on the deal! Your %/mo of MSRP should be lower as you rolled upfront tax and fees into monthly payments.

1 Like