2018 Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Lease

First-time looking into leasing so please be gentle! :neutral_face:

2018 Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription (with some packages & options)

MSRP: $51,390
Cap Cost: ~$47425 (reverse-engineered based on the monthly payment they gave me)

Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 12,000

MF: 0.00046
Residual: 54%

Acquisition Fee: 695.00 (probably going to roll this into the lease)
Taxes: 1,864.00 (probably going to roll this into the lease)
1st Month Payment: 539
Total Due at Delivery: 3,448

Zip Code: 11378
Sales Tax Rate: 8.875%
Leasehackr Score: 8.2

It seems like an okay deal to me but I could be absolutely wrong. If I roll the acquisition fee & taxes into the lease, it would bring the payments up to $606/mo with $956 due at delivery. Iā€™m also thinking that the selling price may have a bit more wiggle room which would also bring down the taxes a tad.

Appreciate any thoughts that you hackrs may have!

Edit: Had to reduce the RV by 1% for 39mo instead of 36 but then that brings down the Cap Cost of the car to ~$47,425.

You donā€™t need to negotiate this, just tell the dealer to roll it all in. Itā€™s your choice.

1 Like

Good to know - thank you.

XC60 is still a fairly new model so dealer discounts will be limited. If you can wait until late Summer early Fall (when the 2019s start rolling in) you can probably do a lot better than this. Also keep an eye on the ex-loaner cars, there are already a few 2018 loaners in my area available for leasingā€¦

Completely agree but I am on a bit of a time crunch for a new car. Without knowing exactly how much I could save by waiting, Iā€™m looking for the best deal that I can get within the next month or so.

Any thought of picking up a lease transfer for 6 to 9 months and trying for a year end xc60 special in Nov/Dec?

Not a bad idea but I should clarify that I do own a car at the moment. The urgency is because my better half wants to upgrade to a nice SUV (sheā€™s leaning heavily towards Volvo) before she is due in April. I probably shouldā€™ve started looking into leasing towards the end of 2017 as it seems there were slightly more incentives at the time. I was hoping there would be better incentives for Presidentā€™s Day.

I am in a similar situation, our first one is due in July and I am shopping for a mid-size SUV. Already took my wife out for some test drives (XC60, V90CC, Subaru Outback, Acura MDX, Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-9) and went by myself to test a few more options (Lexus RX, Toyota Highlander). We both really liked the XC60 and it is high up on our list but I would recommend checking out couple of other options. Well-equipped RX350 can be leased cheaper than the XC60 quote you posted if your better half is dead set on getting a luxury SUV. If non-luxury brands are ok then the CX-9 is a very impressive SUV for the money and would be cheaper stillā€¦

An RX that is similarly equipped will be about the same amount at this time. You have a monthly payment of $539 (assuming it includes tax). If you lease an Rx350 with MSRP of around $54 and get 10% of it, it will be around the same price.

Yes but that RX lease would be with zero due at signing, the XC60 quote is with $3,448 due at signing. Almost a $100 difference in monthly payment over 36 monthsā€¦

Sheā€™s definitely wanting a luxury SUV. We also looked into buying a CPO car from various brands but couldnā€™t find anything to her liking. She likes that the outer aesthetics of the XC60 donā€™t look drastically different year over year and holds up better over time.

Lexus RX350 - Went for a test drive and she thought it was just okay.
Lexus NX300 - She was concerned it would be too small.
Acura MDX - She thinks it is too big.
Acura RDX - With the 2019 redesign coming up, she is concerned that a 2018 or older model looks too old, relatively.

Infiniti, MB, BMW and Audi are all out for similar or various other reasons.

Iā€™m okay with a nice Honda or Toyota myself but as they say - happy wife, happy life. The only reason Iā€™m looking into leasing is because she very much likes the Volvo more than the rest and thereā€™s no telling how reliable the redesigned 2018 model is just yet.

I liked the RX myself but she wasnā€™t impressed.

Whoops my oversight, Iā€™m used to no money down leases. I guess, some like to put money down?

I agree that no money down is better based on what I have researched but other than a special promotion where they waive the first monthā€™s payment, are there any true no money down leases?

You can structure the deal any way you like. Just think of the lease ads as a suggestion. It is the same money, paid either up front or over the lease term.

@wallabingbong, Iā€™m sure you have heard this before, but buying an SUV/minivan isnā€™t a requirement with 1 or 2 children. :slight_smile: It really doesnā€™t become a huge issue until you have multiple children and have to haul their friends around at the same time. (And then 3 rows is more important than SUV vs minivan)

The exception would be if your current vehicle cannot accommodate a rear facing child seat.

Disclaimer: [I have 3 children, we bought our 1st 3 row vehicle 6 months before my 2nd was born and have had at least 1 3 row vehicle since then]

Completely agree - I think that we would be able to manage just fine with our current car ('08 Toyota Corolla). The extra space and new safety features would be nice, though. :slight_smile:

Blockquote. She likes that the outer aesthetics of the XC60 donā€™t look drastically different year over year and holds up better over time.
Blockquote

The XC60 just had a major redesign, so yes it wonā€™t change drastically most likely by the time your lease is up, but it is also brand new as folks have mentioned. The problem is everyoneā€™s wife loves it a quick look online and some dealers are marking over MSRP by a couple hundred & true care has it at 1500 off MSRP as a nationwide average. Very similar to the Q5 when it came out.

On reliability, the XC60 is built on a scalable platform that is used for S90 V90 XC90. Itā€™s reliable.

Leasehackr wise -

MDX, people canā€™t get enough of them right now. Demo/loaners and high volume dealerships with old ones on the lot.

RDX, possible opportunity when the 19ā€™s come out for 18ā€™s. 17ā€™s lost lease support supposedly this month.

BMW X1 - @E46M3 has a lot of retired loaners (9 2017ā€™s) Retired Loaners BMW

Whoever said you donā€™t need an SUV was right for one kid even 2 (think s90), but there are always other factors like being high up whilst driving.

This appears to be a demo/loan unit with 7k on it and its less than a 10% dealer reduction
2018 XC60 this is slightly more than your 50k one % wise and could be used as leverage.

Here one that is 8% off. Bonus its the T6 with 316 hp vs t5 250.
8% XC 60

Also, it looks like you are dealing with them in terms of monthly instead of the purchase price. Change the narrative politely.

Now you have 3 places to get quotes from that you can round robin against each other. I believe there are presidents day incentives also.

Thanks for the insights.

Iā€™ve read that the turbocharged engines on the new XC60 havenā€™t quite passed the test of time just yet.

The other cars that you mentioned were considered but are out for various reasons.

Being seated high up while driving is definitely a factor in why she wants a SUV.

How would I go about using cars from CA and SC as leverage for negotiations with dealers in the northeast (Iā€™m located in NYC)?

I understand that dealing with them based on the monthly payment is mostly a marketing gimmick but as long we both agree on the total upfront costs, MSRP, RV and MF, wouldnā€™t it be okay to deal using adjusted cap cost or monthly payment since either one remains as the last variable to arrive at the other?

Also not aware of any Presidentā€™s Day incentives on the XC60 other than a lease offer which doesnā€™t seem all that great.

Oh NYC, lemme make this easy for you. Contact @nyclife heā€™s a broker with an excellent track record on these forums. There are a couple other guys also, but he can help you and simplify your life and based on your questions I think heā€™ll be worth the price. Heā€™s not going to get you a ā€œhackrā€ deal on the XC60 but he handles everything and will, in all likelihood, find you the best tri-state price

Please see this post - Nyclife - good deals at a competitive rate

At the price your willing to pay for the car heā€™s worth the equivalent of $6.95 a month for 36 months to take care of this headache for you.

1 Like

I reached out to him yesterday but other than one round of back and forth, I have yet to hear back (probably just busy). His services are a bit pricier now ($100 deposit + $300 service fee) but I still think that it could be worth it.

Edit: @nyclife and I are back in touch!

1 Like