2018 Subaru Outback 14% off MSRP - No haggling

After gouging on the wealth of information and advice on this site over the last week I wanted to share the outcome of my adventure.

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
Loaded with all available options (option package 2)
MSRP: $36,540
Invoice: $33,822
Selling Price: $31,422
=> 14% off MSRP
=> $2400 below invoice

This was the pre-arranged Costco price HOWEVER I was lead to believe that without Costco membership, the price would still have been $2300 below invoice.

I actually ended up financing the vehicle (see below) but this is the lease offer:

Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 12,000
MF: 0.0004 (see below)
Residual: 62%

Zip Code: 91950
Leasehackr Score: 11.1 years
LeaseHackr Calculation

Notes:

• I’m rebuilding my credit and want to refinance my loan in about 3 months. I didn’t want to be locked into a higher rate with a three year lease so decided to finance the vehicle instead.
  • I wasn’t quick enough to take a picture of the lease offer numbers (sorry) but the selling cost is accurate. For good credit, the financing APR was 0.9% so those of you more experienced in these matters can take a guess at the MF.
  • The residual value was stated as 62% but I didn’t see the actual number written down.
  • Putting money down did not affect the lease deal (as expected) but it also didn’t affect the financing deal. I was willing to put $15K down but it didn’t budge the APR.
  • There didn’t seem to be an option to provide multiple security deposits to bring down the MF (as I’ve read on this site is sometimes possible).
  • There was plenty of choice in inventory. For the fully loaded model we chose, I could have had any color - don’t judge our choice :blush:
  • Costco program was fantastic and the dealership service was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyable, went at my own pace and felt collaborative… certainly not aggressive or pushy.

Other things I was told but can’t validate:

• The dealership allocation of Subaru Ascents (release in July 2018) will be based on their Outback volume. They expect the Ascents to be hugely popular and go like hot cakes so are taking a hit on Outbacks in the short-term in order to benefit from (I expect) non-discounted Ascents over the summer.
  • 80% of their customers come through Costco (really?)
  • They’re the best-rated dealership in San Diego County (actually, that’s a verifiable fact)

More about my situation:

• Our previous Outback was stolen and I was paying for a rental car… therefore time was not on my side.
  • If I had waited 3 months, I would have been tempted by the Ascent AND my credit would have been where it needed to be to get their best MF/APR
  • I was a few points off from getting 0.9% APR and instead had to go with 4.49%. Ouch. I’ll refinance with my credit union at 2% soon.
  • By putting only $5K down, I am reserving the rest of my insurance payout to cover my monthly payments for the next 2 years. I realize that might not make sense in terms of the eventual bottom line but it’s what I had to do in the circumstances.

Requisite celebrity pics of dear wife getting (apparently ‘her’) new Outback:

I want to sincerely thank everyone involved in this website and those who contribute to the forum. I spent hours doing research and much of it was in reading the guides and forum posts on LeaseHackr. I’m a convert: not to either Financing or Leasing… just to consider both, understand the math, and do what makes sense. I’ll be back again… maybe when I sell my new Outback for a profit in a year’s time and lease a new Ascent :smiley:

For those interested, my final numbers with taxes, fees, extended warranty, security subscription and some other extras are as follows:
Total cost: $40,026
APR: 4.49
Due at signing: $5000
Term: 63 months
Payment: $633.94
My insurance payout will cover ~20 months at that rate but longer once I refinance.

9 Likes

that monthly payment seems really nice on the lease calc.

Numbers don’t make sense. How can your monthly be so high if you put $5k down? If the sales price was $31422, OTD price should be around $35k. With $5k down and 63 month term at 4.49% APR, I get a monthly closer to $535/month.

I added an extended warranty and some other extras, plus there was tax. I didn’t include that in the top section as thought it would distract from the lease numbers. Sorry for the confusion, Jon. Final cost was 40K+

Really confused why you didn’t lease it, triple zero 4 is pretty cheap money on a lease, .96%. I assume you didn’t qualify for the .0004, if so, what did you qualify for?

Oh and refinancing isn’t really going to save that much, it’s a car loan, not a house

If I’d qualified for that rate then I would have leased. I was a few points short (TransUnion 690, needed 700). If my car hadn’t been stolen I would have waited for my score to recover. By taking a loan, I’ll be able to refinance at 2% in a couple of months (still not as good as the Subaru 0.9% but closer).

I took my laptop to the dealer and ran the numbers every which-way… in the end I felt more comfortable with the flexibility. Who knows? :wink:

I’m hoping someone else will read my post and get the lease deal.

1 Like

Yeah if you ran it the term you’d save $2k so pretty significant, sounds like you’re going to keep. That’s allot of money over the term regardless, but if you like the car that’s what matters. I would just look at it as you could lease 4 of them for that kind of money

Who steals Subarus? :grin:
I like that color, btw. Brown interior?

1 Like

Agreed, but I already ran those numbers too and it brings my payment down enough to make my insurance payout to last almost as long as the lease.

Again, it will cost me more, but I paid cash for my last car and didn’t have a payment. This way, I’m not going to see an increase in my monthly budget, which is currently a priority.

Appreciate the comments, though. Wish I’d had time to share BEFORE pulling the trigger. Without sharing the intricacies of my situation, it worked out great and I’m happy.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my thought!

Would you believe 4 Outbacks stolen in our neighborhood (92102) in past few months? Mine was eventually found in Tijuana but AAA didn’t make me take it back. It seemed to be set-up as a bed and there was gaudy lipstick and other feminine products strewn around. I’ll let your imagination tKe it from there.

Thanks joeblogs. I could probably sell it in 6 months without losing out too much (7 year warranty is transferable) and then lease another one… or an Ascent.

More of a cream interior. Didn’t like it in the pictures but wife and I liked it a lot once we saw it for real.

Tax can’t be more than 10%. You bought $5k+ of extras? Dealer must have made a killing.

1 Like

Man, I’m not going to get you to agree with my decision but that’s ok :thinking:

Extended warranty to 7 years / 100K was $2500 and is transferable. Covers my term and/or adds value for resale. Security system was $795. Plus I added Gap insurance.

Again, who knows? I’ve always bought used so I probably made some rookie mistakes. I wanted peace of mind.

Not if you trade it in to a dealer. Or it gets stolen :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You got me :slight_smile:

fyi the warranty won’t add anything to resale, people in the used market will just go with the cheaper one. for future reference you can always add a warranty later, ie when the factory is about to run out. if you do sell it down the road, you might be able to get a prorated refund on the warranty

1 Like

Thanks joeblogs for this and your other feedback. I will certainly be back here next time.