2018 LR Discovery HSE luxury TD6

Initial offer before any nego. What do ya think?
.00021mf (marked up .00020)
33mos
7.5k miles
RV 62% minus 1% for 10k
Effective $686 per month includes 7.75% tax on $0 down with $1700 DAS

Well looks like you did okay in getting an $82k MSRP vehicle for $74k (your $71k cap cost + the $3k cap cost reduction). Call it 10% off. Presumably, thatā€™s because itā€™s an '18 theyā€™re trying hard to move as '19s have been landing for a couple of months.

However, cap cost reductions are a big no no around here. I guess thatā€™s why you cited $686/mo effective rather than the number in the term sheet. Your lease is only 7500 mi/year, and they did mark up that MF quite a bit.

For comparison, we custom ordered a 2019 RR Discovery HSE Lux TD6, with an $80k MSRP. Got 5% off, and paid taxes and fees up front. Monthly payment on a 33/10K is $820. That was at the stated MF of LR Financial, no mark up (canā€™t recall the number off hand).

So all in all Iā€™d say you did well, though am left wondering if you couldā€™ve done better on price, and pushed back on the MF mark up.

you mean land rover discovery right? not range rover discovery?

Yes sorry. LR Discovery.

Iā€™m intrigued as to your reasons why you went with the Discovery? Iā€™ve always thought the ā€˜Discoā€™ was a bit of an unusual choice - Not quite as LUX as the RR, and not quite as old school as a GX or something.

I have family members who still own the 1st and 2nd gen and love them, mainly for the off road ability as they live in proper rural Wales though.

We wanted a truly functional/comfortable 3rd row as we need it and use it. But wanted no part of the body on frame monsters that drive like shit. The one in the RRS is much smaller/tighter, and the interior space in the rear is smaller as well. And the RR doesnā€™t offer one at all.

The interior packaging of the D5 is surprisingly gorgeous and well done. All the electronic folding seats, etc. At least in HSR Lux trim. We were happily surprised.

Iā€™m also looking for a 3rd row SUV, thatā€™s not a school bus

Did you consider the XC90? if so, what were your thoughts vs Discovery ?

This may very well wind up being TMI, but here goesā€¦

We actually looked at the XC90 about 3 years ago when they were brand new and my wife needed a car. It was at that time that we also checked out the RR Sport (we drove the then-current Discovery 4, but didnā€™t love the boxy shape, super short wheelbase - the backseat was a joke - nor the interior overall). I was actually pushing for the XC90 as I thought the Sensus UI with its large touch screen was ā€˜the future.ā€™ My wife hated it however, thinking it was a terrible thing for distracted driving. She had no big issues with the interior, nor how it drove. She just couldnā€™t get past the UI. And since it was meant to be her daily driver, her decision held. She would up in a BMW X5ā€¦the diesel, which she liked but didnā€™t love. Once the lease ended, she swapped into the new 2019 Discovery.

Now, in the interim, Iā€™d leased a Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 for myself as my daily driver. Iā€™d never lost my interest in the UI, thought the overall packaging of the V90 CC to be gorgeous, with great looks and utility, mileage, etc. I even hacked my way to a sub 1% lease. (Thus, my wife retained some familiarity with the Sensus system, still hates it when she has to drive my car, so didnā€™t re-consider the XC90).

HOWEVER, for full disclosure, Iā€™ve come to not love the V90 CC. In fact, Iā€™d get out of the lease if I could. Unfortunately Volvo FS doesnā€™t allow lease transfers, and the buyout is about $8k over the current market value, so Iā€™ll probably have to ride it out.

I could go on and on and on about my issues with the Volvo, but it comes down to the engine and transmission. Itā€™s a technological marvel - a 2-liter 4, turbo and supercharged, to make >300hp and >300lb-ft of torque with the Polestar tune. However, Iā€™ve come to truly appreciate the difference between power on paper and power as itā€™s delivered on the road. My prior cars were, among others, three different 6-cylinder BMWs (two manuals and one automatic), a Porsche 6 (manual), and a 2.0 Audi A4 (manual) The most recent was a BMW X4. The 6 in that thing was a thing of beauty. The automatic a pleasure, with fun on tap as needed. I loved all those engines. Smooth, powerful, and fun to drive.

In the Volvo, even though technically the car is quick as measured (especially for its size), itā€™s just not fun to drive at all. Comfort mode is too lackadaisical, and Dynamic isā€¦poorly executed. The transmission holds gears WAY too long, shifts are rough and awkwardly timed, etc. I know what a great automatic transmission (or transmission programmingā€¦) can do. The Volvoā€™s does not do that. For me, it renders Dynamic as pretty much unusable.

I really want to love the V90 CC. I love the way it looks, the interior, utility, mileage, etc. I just canā€™t love it. Now, itā€™s possible that the T8 hybrid in the XC90 would be better, but that drivetrain isnā€™t available in the V90 CC so Iā€™ll never know.

Now, with all that said, itā€™s not like the Discovery is a canyon carver. Itā€™s not! Itā€™s still a big truck :slight_smile:

But, it drives ā€œfine,ā€ and the interior packaging is so functional that to us it was an easy pick. Funny too because my wife went in thinking she was going to get the RR Sport. It felt tight, and here Iā€™m talking driver cabin and back seatā€¦the 3rd row is a joke. It does drive better than the D5, but we wanted/needed more utility. Caveat: we are still in the honeymoon phase as the D5 is only a month old for us. But so far so good. Wife loves it too, which is good!

Either way, I would spend as much time behind the wheel test driving as humanly possible, even if you have to abuse multiple dealers to do it. Highway cruising, around town, twisties - do it all, as much as you can.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer additional questions.

2 Likes

The new Discovery is awesome for a family as the 3 row seating is super comfy.
Much better than that top heavy LR4 it replaced.
I test drove the HSE Lux off road in Monterey (LR Quail Ridge Experience center) and loved how it articulates better than a RR due to the increased ground clearance, two speed transfer case and air ride suspension.

OP Hope you got the front seat massagers on your HSE Lux seat comfort pack.
Worth every penny!

1 Like

Yasssssss. Love me some seat massage. And cooling!

In fact, once I got both on my Volvo V90 CC, they become the kind of unexpected must-haves for me going forward. (Specā€™ing all that on a Porsche brings tears to your eyes!)

I had 2017 D5 HSE and then got a 2018 D5 HSE via lemon process due to bad batch of transmissions coming out of South Carolina.

Basically the interior is a parts bin raider from a 2 year old Range Rover before upgraded to the new dual touchscreens centerstack. Great value driven car if you want to get RRā€™s aluminium chassis at huge discount.

7 seater package gets the air suspension standard. Itā€™s a must have in my opinion, avoid the barebone SE trim interior is very ā€œplastickyā€

1 Like

Thatā€™s really interesting. I hadnā€™t tracked the models up the range (ha) to note that.

Funny thing is, I actually prefer the single screen + physical controls of the D5 to the dual screen they seem to be pushing through most models. When it comes to HVAC, I LIKE KNOBS :smiley:

1 Like

Donā€™t forget that you get a complimentary 2hr session at the LR Experience Center for buying a new LR.

This is true!
You just have to make the drive or fly to a one of the 4 Experience centers.

Well worth the event - they will take the same model car as your LR and go to the off road course.

Your car does not have to go thru the deep mud, water holes, and gnarly rocky terrain.

I am amazed how well a Land Rover negotiates such difficult terrain with ease.
My buddyā€™s lifted Jeep and my stock LR go head to head off roading - so funny to see.

2 Likes

Do they still have the employee PIN offers this month?