2018 Audi S5 Coupe - How does this look to you guys?

Audi’s lease horribly because compared to other brands they offer fewer incentives and generally less discounts. Comparing them to similar cars from Alfa Romeo or Infiniti they can often be gotten with 20% off, you’ll almost never get anywhere near that, even for sedans which Audi are more flexible with pricing.

You’ll need to put in far more work to get a good deal on an Audi (assuming you don’t work with a broker), and even then it will look poor in comparison to similar vehicles from other manufacturers.

Have a look at the Trophy thread and compare the Audi deals to BMW, Merc, etc: Trophy Garage [ Photos ]. The difference is often 33% or more for extreme deals. I’ve owned a Golf R and Audi TT, my wife has a Q5 so we’re not anti-Audi, but they just don’t often offer much value.

Hi Alex, thanks for the response. When yhou say “less discounts” and 20% off, are you referring to the selling price, i.e. 20% off MSRP, or something else? Because looking at their high residual value, it seems to compensate for the high MF!

You’re right that a high RV is a major factor in getting a good deal. But say an S5 and BMW 440i has the same residual and MSRP, then the main variables to getting a good deal would be the MF and discounts/incentives. If Audi has a higher MF and lower discounts that’s going to make them uncompetitive.

Audi sedans tend to have higher discounts but S and especially RS models tend to buck that trend.

There’s a few errors here.

First, you can’t simply assume $50K for each model. According to google, the base price of an S5 is $54,400, the base price of the QX60 is $43,300, and the base price of the QX50 is only $36,550. In short, the capitalization figures you list you list above simply aren’t accurate.

Second, you picked an Audi model with a fairly high RV, and are then erroneously assuming that all Audi models are similar. That’s not true. I just bought an S3, instead of leasing. I ended up buying because the RV was only 47%. It was barely more money to buy the car outright than to lease, on a monthly basis. Assuming I sell the car in a few years, buying will end up being far cheaper.

1 Like

The Q50 is heavily discounted. You will get 20-25%, maybe more, off MSRP. One guy here got 40% off a Q50 Hybrid.

Also, RV on the 3.0t is 53% I believe. The 4-cylinders have a lower RV though. Historically Q50 RV has been 56%, but they still lease well because the discounts are even steeper now.

I’m on a similar boat right now. My cheap Q50 lease ends August 9th (although Infiniti will let me do month-to-month through February 9th).

Of the cars in the marketplace right now, ignoring price, Audi A5 is what I want, but just don’t know if I can justify spending more a month for it. And even at that I don’t know if I can justify spending more on an A5 than a more heavily discounted A4. I can get 15-17% off an A4. Won’t do that on an A5. If I were buying that’s a different story, but I’m just renting a car for 2-3 years so I approach it from a different angle.

Or I stick it out and wait for what I really want - the new Volvo V60 that comes out in January.

Funny you say that because Audi loses value just as fast if not faster than those other brands once it’s used.

OP move on from this car it’s not a Hackr deal and you’re wasting your time on it. Way above 1% rule for a mass produced car

MBCHEST thanks for the explanation.

I can see two ways to look at this: one is what’s the most car I can get for a fixed monthly fee. In this case, i agree Q60 is a substantially better deal then an S5.
However I don’t think this is how most people look at it: of course a cheaper car is always a cheaper lease. From this perspective Honda civic would be more attractive then Audi A3.

The other way: buy vs lease. In this case I simply fixed the capitalization to $x. Based on the calculation then, S5 is not any worse in terms of the RV/MF combination then say Infinity, to lease then to buy.
I don’t claim all the models of Audi are similar though - I am only unterested in A5 or S5, both are high 50s RV it seems.

I guess this is the new mentality for me – this is my first lease.
I don’t see however how can one compare a car that is heavily discounted because it sells poorly to the hottest car in the segment. Just does not seem like a fair comparison. A hack? Maybe!

Yes agree, ajgraham. Thank you for your comment

The leasehackr forum is primarily focused on finding deals first, regardless of the car. It’s not an exotic, sports or luxury car discussion, although that comes up from time to time.

Look at the most widely posted about cars here- Chevy bolts and volts. These aren’t enthusiast cars; they’re economical cars.

If you look at the Edmunds forums, the moderators make a very valid point pretty often- most of the people shopping for high end cars aren’t as price sensitive as others. The fancy new toys just don’t lease well, because they don’t have to.

2 Likes

What sells poorly? The Q50? No. It’s typically the third largest volume luxury car in the States after the C and 3. The ES and E sometimes slip into the third spot, but generally it sells pretty well, all things considered.

I think you are looking at the calculations incorrectly. There are 3 main factors that are going to make a “good” lease. You want to get a large discount from MSRP, a low money factor, and a high residual value.

It seems like the first factor, getting a large discount, is viewed as a negative by you because you think it means that it’s not selling well or isn’t a good value to begin with. This is simply not true. Sometimes you will run into this situation, and the Maserati Ghibli is a good example. It may have an MSRP of between $80,000 and $90,000 but it is not worth that much. Many people that buy or lease them don’t care and will pay that, but
those with some knowledge should and do get heavy discounts on them.

Audis are great cars, but they aren’t going to lease well compared to other cars in their segment. That doesn’t mean the other cars are inferior, just that Audi does not subsidize leases or offer large discounts to move those units. BMW heavily subsidized leases through artificially high residuals and very low money factors for years, but they are not doing that in the last couple of years and their lease numbers have suffered. That doesn’t mean that BMW cars themselves are any different or less valuable than they were before, just that they have a different way of running their business than they did in the past.

1 Like

Ok, I will take your word on it. Then how do you explain 20% discounts?

I would say that I am not considering discount off the MSRP because in my mind it does not make it a good or lease (as in lease vs buy), it makes it a good deal overall (buy or lease). I imagine there are cars out there that are selling well and yet one can get a big discount, but Ghibli is a bad example: horribly overpriced car with very bad reviews that only appeals to enthusiast that will take anything for the Ferrari engine, and as the result – deep discounts.
Nor arguing – just saying :slight_smile:

My point is that the original poster listed a deal with 56% RV and 0.00123 MF (in aggrgate not dissimilar to what one can get for Q60), and was told - HORRIBLE DEAL, because he "only got 10% off the MSRP?

Well duh, S5 is a brand new hot cake, arguably the sexiest car with the best engine in this segment. How is this Horrible?!

But you do understand that the largest single factor in calculating lease payments is monthly depreciation of the car, right? If you get a big discount off of the MSRP, its that much less you have to pay.

Yes I understand that the discount off MSRP is a the biggest factor – buy OR lease. I just did not think of it as a factor of the lease “deal” - some cars sell at better discount some don’t, depending on the brand and popularity. But I do get that buying car for less is better the buying it for more :slight_smile:

Fair enough, but a lot of dealers will not treat the numbers the same - you could negotiate a sales price, and then you when tell them you want to lease, they will tell you that the price they quoted you is only for a sale, not a lease.

Others are completely unaware that you can negotiate the sales price of a car in a leasing transaction at all.

So getting a good discount on the sales price of the car is typically something that people here would examine to see if a lease deal is good.

Car sales data is public so you don’t have to take my word on it. When a car routinely sells for 20% off, people buy it.

The rent charge difference between those two MF’s is crazy, not sure if you quite understand the difference.

So for example, ball park the S5 $61500+$37307= $98807 * .00123= $121/mo rent charge
Q50, and this is totally made up $60000+$30000= $90000 * .0003= $27/mo rent charge
and if it was .00003 it would be around $2/mo.

1 Like