2018 Audi S5 Coupe - How does this look to you guys?

Hi guys,

I got the following quote from a genteman dealer in northern california. Good? Bad? Average? I don’t like the 3K down and I also don’t like the RV. There’s also some crap included like floor mats and $120 USB cables in the price…anything that can be done about this?

Audi S5 Coupe 2018 3.0T Quattro
Lease Terms: 36month, 12K

Sticker Price: 66,620
Sale Price: 61,500

RV: 56%
MF: 0.00123
Acquisition Fee: 895
DMV: 722
“Tire”: 8.75

Payments quoted: $779/month pre-tax, $842/month with tax. $3000 down.

I’ve also thought about getting a broker but haven’t done any negotiating myself yet with the dealer. This is the first quote he presented me with. What would you suggest my next move should be? I have a psychological barrier for a >800 monthly payment. Do you think getting a broker would help this deal out or are there things I can counter with on my own.

1 Like

Two Words – HORRIBLE

What would be an acceptable deal on this car? I know Audi doesn’t lease well but say I have my mind set on this car…what would you suggest I do?

Is it a premium plus or prestige?

well you can’t negotiate the residual, but I would remove the floor mats and USB cables. Also with the $3000 down you are at well over $900/month and I bet there are some drive offs in there… that deal is bad all around even for an S5

If you have your heart set on it, there’s not much to do. Lease an Audi S5 Coupe and enjoy it. Anyway you slice it, it’s going to cost you more than comparable vehicles, or maybe even more than vehicles in a class above it (like the E400 Coupe). You can maybe get a BMW 7-Series for less than your proposed S5 deal. Now I get that the 7-Series is a long-wheelbase massive boat of a sedan that isn’t for everybody (I certainly wouldn’t be interested in one), but that’s just an example of how much farther you dollar can stretch.

You could probably get M3/M4 for the same $$.

I missed the second word

Find your base money factor, the residual, and any incentives on Edmunds first. https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/45520/audi/s5/2018-audi-s5-lease-deals-and-prices/p16
Then run the numbers specific to your car, lease terms and taxes through the Leasehackr calculator. That will give you an idea of where you should be. I don’t think the S5 leases well due to a high money factor, and low rebates and residual. So your best hope is a good discount off MSRP. The absolute best I have seen on an S5 is 12% off aged models (over 30 days in inventory), before incentives are applied. I would shoot for that 12% discount, and demand they use the base money factor. Other than that, your lease still won’t be cheap by any stretch. But it will be better than the quote you received.

3 Likes

Floor mats and usb cables are usually an Audi factory or port installed option and can’t be removed. Also, you’re only paying the residual on them. Even if they could be removed, it might take $5 off the monthly payment.

With 36 equal payments you are at $925/month, or $.925/mile just to drive it, before gas/insurance, etc. over a dollar a mile. I don’t think the car is nice enough to demand a premium that high.

I advise you detach your heart from the deal and find another one. #1 rule on negotiation is if you must have it, you lose. The best way to find lease deals on vehicles is to be flexible and find value in other vehicles that are leasing well. For example, why is your heart set on the audi when you could lease a 400 horsepower Q50 for more than $300/month LESS than the audi? Will it bother you if a guy in that infiniti pulls up to the lights and not only pulls harder than your car when it goes green, but has a few hundred bucks/month left in his pocket?

2 Likes

Hmm man that is an excellent point. You guys definitely have me rethinking my decision. Besides the Q50, any other cars in this class that would be a better deal?

Merc C43 can be had in that price range, closer to 1% of MSRP depending on the model but will also be tricky to hack. BMW 340i or 440i with the M package stuff could work too.

Are you looking for a deal, or a car that you want?

If you have your heart set on an S5, then by all means go for it, but don’t expect a deal.

If you go for a q50, will you be happy with it? 400hp is nice, but from everything I’ve read, the interior and tech/infotainment is way behind German rivals.

Maybe look for a happy medium. C43 is much better than a q50. An Audi S4 leases surprisingly well, and is obviously very similar to the S5.

Have you contacted @IvanAudi ? Ivan is the internet sales manager at Audi of Pasadena and he’s super helpful and easy to work with. I’d text him and see what he can do for you.

I’ve tried but he’s been busy :frowning:

Literally everything in this class leases better than an S5. An M3 will lease better than an S5.

You can get a 400hp Q50 Red Sport in the low to mid-$400s and put zero down. That’s half the price of an S5. Yeah, the infotainment system sucks, but you will save over $15,000, on something you don’t even own.

I think for me it’s either an S5 or a AMG C43.

I’ve been trying to calculate the lease payments myself using leasehackr and some other calculators out there (CarCzar app) but I am getting post-tax monthly off by 80-100/month.

What would you guys consider a great deal on an S5 presuming no money down?

hi mah4546

Pardon my ignorance, help me understand:

I am also looking at the S5. Looking at edmunds MF DocOz got is typycal: 0.00123 with RV going from 56% to as high as 59% depending on the package with 36/12

I can see that Q50 or Q60 go with MF as low as 0.0003, which is essentially interest free. However the RV is around 50-51%

So here is my math: take a 50K capitalization for simplicity.

For Qx0, the cost of lease with 0.00003/50% is $20,237
For S5, with 0.0123 and 58% RV it’s $18,733

My question is why is everyone advising against leasing Audi as some of the worst deals? What am I missing here?

You will get a pretty hefty discount on the Q50 versus the S5. That will make a big difference in your calculations as the residual is based off of MSRP and not the selling price.

1 Like