2018 Acura TLX vs 2017 C300 Loaner

Hello everyone!
Been trying to work out a deal on a well equipped C300 Loaner but wasn’t getting any bites, but then I saw that I can get a pretty well appointed TLX for a reasonable rate.
I need your advice on which is the better deal here, much appreciated :slight_smile:

Option 1:
2018 Acura TLX FWD DCT W/Tech
MSRP: 37,650
Sale Price (after incentives): $29,124
MF .00054
RV 51%
Incentives: 3500 Dealer Cash, 2375 Captive lease Cash
Term: 36 months/12k miles
$999 drive off and payment of $342 including tax

Option 2:
2017 C300 Loaner
MSRP: $42,375
Sale: $29,900 (not sure if they added any incentives to this)
Term: 36 months/12k miles
$880 drive off and payment of $319 including tax

Thanks in advance everyone!

C300 is a much better car than TLX, which is just a refined dump accord

LOL Fair enough, just thought to consider the TLX since it has more in terms of feature content and it would be a brand new car.

Try 24/12 on the C300. You may get a better monthly payment.

1 Like

Agree, 25+% off MSRP should be in the $200s with $0 d/o on the MBZ, depending on the MF
They may be padding things there…

1 Like

I would take the TLX. C class are a dime a dozen.

1 Like

Just got a TLX with the tech package. really enjoying this car. C300 might be better, but this has been a lot of fun for me and I love all the standard safety features.

2 Likes

Yeah I suspected as much. Also checked edmunds a couple days ago for residuals and etc and it looks like there was some mixup with the 2017 march residuals. Seems to be sorted out right now so I’ve asked for updated residuals to calculate my payment.

On another note, do you guys think I should push more for the TLX? I’m at about 23% off msrp after incentives.

Edit: Numbers for 2017 C300 rwd: .00102 MF and 64%/58% residual for 24/12 and 36/12
Adjusted residual in my case comes out to 60.8% (9,800ish miles)
calculator

How can I get the 3500 Dealer Cash, 2375 Captive lease Cash incentives ?

I’ve had a 2015 TLX for a couple of years with the same package (2.4 Tech w/ DCT) and it’s been a great car. Lots of fun, nimble enough in the turns but also comfortable for regular driving. The DCT shifts quick and the engine’s just powerful enough to get in trouble with. And the ELS sound system is superb.

That said, I probably won’t get another TLX when my lease is up, simply because there are other cars out there that I want to experience. But it’s a very good car and you don’t see a lot of them…

1 Like

If the C300 is a base loaner, then the TLX is absolutely a winner. I hate when german automakers can’t even offer a rearview camera as standard and have halogen bulbs no sunroof. The standard safety features on all the non germans cars are insane.
What state are you in ? Have you testdriven the V6 tech ?

1 Like

Use this website to check if those incentives are offered in your area: 2018 Acura TLX Color, Specs, Pricing | Autobytel

Most dealers will include the dealer cash into their offer so don’t mistakenly take another $3500 off their offered price.

Good to hear! Did you have the all wheel steering system on yours? Most of the auto reviewers just breeze by it but it seems like it would be pretty noticeable in real-world driving. Any opinions on it?

I had the 2015 TLX V6 Tech. Apart from the fact that Acura had to replace the entire transmission because the one that came with the car was faulty, I have great memories of that car. Gas mileage was better than any car I have ever owned and better than my sisters 2015 Camry which was a 4 cylinder. That car had the Oomph when needed and sniffed gas like a Prius, I believe the PAWS system was standard on both 4 and 6 cylinder trims. I drove that car from Miami to Quebec City, Canada and back and had great fun with my wife and daughter.
BTW, Acura gave me a refund of a monthly payment for the issue with the transmission replacement and provided me a brand new MDX tech as a loaner back then at that time for 32 days which led me to get an MDX ADV last nov when my leases was near end.

1 Like

The 2015 TLX is a little rough around the edges so maybe not a fair comparison. We had a transmission replaced on our V6 Tech FWD early on which addressed most of the issues we had with it. After driving an equivalent 2018 TLX loaner, the comparison is night and day. It is much more refined and seems to have more sound dampening with smoother shifts (less direct but still feels good). We no longer hear wind noise around the door panel areas like we do on our 2015. The downside to that is that the motor also sounds muted. Having had a C-AMG before, all I’ll say is that unless brand image is important, the TLX is a much more economical value especially with all of the incentives right now (>$5800). I just feel that the C300 is a very basic, entry level european car that barely passes for a luxury branded car. Good luck with whichever you decide on.

1 Like

Preach. Completely ridiculous. The C300 I was looking at had Blind spot and keyless go and that’s it. Can’t believe a $42k car still came with halogens.

In CA, and no I didn’t drive the V6 Tech. Was planning on going with the I4 to keep the cost lower and hopefully get better fuel efficiency.

I agree as well and I think we are leaning more on the TLX. Now it’s just a matter of bringing the dealers down to my payment. It looks like the 2019s are going to be coming out soon because I just got a bunch of emails from dealers advertising a “Daylight Savings Deal” (LOL). But 7k off MSRP on TLXs so not bad.

I’d love to go with the V6 but am just apprehensive because of the extra cost and efficiency. Also been reading reports that the 9 speed isn’t that great? I know that if I test drive both back-to-back, I will definitely fall in love with the power of the V6…

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I do have the all wheel steering system. I honestly don’t notice it that much, but I think that’s the idea. Being front wheel drive, the car will always have a tendency to understeer but I have to push it further before I really feel it coming on, so that’s probably the PAWS working its magic. Turn in response is pretty good.

Make no mistake, it’s no M3 or Giulia when it comes to handling, but it’s plenty sporty enough to have some fun with and it’s been comfortable and very reliable as well. I think the '18 models finally come with Android Auto and Apple Carplay as well, which is a plus. The spotty compatibility with smartphones is really my only complaint with it so far.

As for people mentioning transmission trouble, keep in mind the V6 came with Acura’s weird 9-speed automatic which had a ton of problems. All of the 4-cylinder models have the DCT which is excellent in my opinion. I also think the smaller engine helps the car’s handling since it’s not as heavy as the V6, and the 4-cylinder loves to rev and sounds good at high RPMs. The 4-cylinder Tech model is really the best one to get out of the whole TLX lineup.

1 Like

They have refined the 9 speed tranny a lot. Whats funny is that the ZF9 tranny is the same tranny made for the Chrysler 300, BMW M3 as well.
I had driven the dct when given as service loaners. I would agree that they were very preppy and fun at launch but no match to the power of the v6 after launch. Also, the gas mileage on the v6 trims ia amazing because of the 9 speed tranny. Beleive it or not ( i have pics by the way) of doing close to 530 miles on a 17.8 gallom tank on my trip to canada with 2 adults, a toddler and a trunk full of travel gear for 2 weeks for the family. On city driving I averaged 370 to 390 in stop n go bumper to bumper Miami traffic 2.5 hrs a day, 5 days a week. So if gas mileage is ur concern, i assure you that the v6 wont disappoint. Also check threads on mileage at acurazine.com

1 Like

Speaking as someone who absolutely hated driving our 2015 TLX V6 Tech from day one, I second @mani_is_kool . Even though we had our '15 transmission replaced under warranty, it never felt quite right.

The ZF9 on the 2018s are significantly improved and sooo much more refined. It drives nothing like the older models!

We picked up an '18 TLX A-Spec Red AWD tonight and drove it 120 miles home in all types of situations. None of the annoying vibrations, hunting for gears, surging, lurches, and general rawness of the old ZF9 is present in this car.

The 2018 TLX V6 is how the car should have felt from the get-go and I’m quite happy we no longer have to tolerate the 2015. Finally!

@subrk Definitely go test drive one to compare.

1 Like

Congrats ! Did u lease it? And what is RED ? Red interior ? Cause i see the term here but dont see it on website

1 Like

Thanks! We leased again since we had 15k miles to rollover from previous TLX. The Red comes with the red leather interior. It provides a nice contrast with the modern steel metallic color we chose. Also goes well with the black and white exterior. It looks much nicer (muted; not so “in your face”) in person and pictures doesn’t do it justice.