2017 Infiniti Q50 AWD 3.0T - MSRP $46585 - $298 /mth with Tax 39/12K - Zero down

Got pretty much the same deal at a couple dealerships on

2017 Chrysler 300 Limited MSRP 35k

$266 with 266 down 3 years

OR

2017 Chrysler 300 S MSRP 42k

$300 with 300 down 3 years

***Both don’t include tax tho…

The S is a beautiful car! Fully loaded to the max, leather engraved seats, the whole one yards. 300hp with AWD.

I have been asked by many on this forum via PM as well as this thread how can one get a discount of 20% or more on MSRP on a 2017 car and I am going to put a detailed post on how I do it. I am going to tell you now that this is going to be a long post and I hope its worth your time. Also understand that this discount % doesn’t apply to every car as it will depend on incentives from factory to dealer.

An informed buyer is the dealers worst nightmare so before you call any dealer (never ever step into dealership) you need to do your homework and have all your ducks in a row.

This process is same regardless whether you are buying or leasing a car. Once you know which car you want after test driving few cars (this is the only time you should go to dealership apart from when you take the delivery of the car) the research begins.

Some good sources for information are Edmunds lease discussion thread from where you can get the MF, Residual and what selling price others in your market are getting. Also check out the forums for the particular car you are interested in and most likely there is Purchase/Lease thread where people would have posted their recent deals. There are few more places like this site where others discuss the deals as well.

You need to find any incentives that are available in form of Dealer cash and consumer cash for lease which is what becomes a base for your expected price.

I will take the example of the car I leased which is a 2017 Q50 AWD.

MSRP - $ 46585
Invoice - $ 43589
Residual - $ 24690.05 ( 53%)
Money Factor - 0.00003
Acquisition - $ 700

Now we all know that the dealers don’t pay even the Invoice price for the vehicle let alone MSRP so our starting point has to be below the Invoice Price. I always call dealers and ask how much below invoice less all factory incentives available can I get the car for. In the case above the incentives were around $ 6,000 (Consumer cash and Dealer cash) and I make sure to get all of it. If you don’t know what the exact incentives are its still OK, just tell him you know about it with confidence and when you mention other lease lingo like the MF, residual, MSD etc they would most likely not question knowing you have done your research. Once they give you selling price (they will try to play the monthly payment game. Never give them that monthly number you are looking at or else they will engineer a lease around it and you will not know how it was calculated) deduct it from the Invoice and you will know how much incentive are they passing along to you. Most will not give you all of it but you have to be persistent and get all the incentive and than some (remember they never pay invoice price plus there is holdback money which they get from factory for every day the car sits on their lot and than there is back pocket cash which the manager has to use to get that last few sales done at the end of the month).

So in my case I started by asking 12K below MSRP and when some dealer would cough at me saying where did I pull that number from I would give them a break down saying I want at least 3K below invoice and all incentives available. They would usually start from 8K below MSRP and come and stop around $9500 below MSRP after I present them with my numbers.

I had no dealer even offer me less than 9K in 1st two weeks of the month which was December in my case but I was ready to be patient. The time of the month you get the deal done is critical and the last week is the best time. I called almost every dealer who had a car in my metro area in stock and asked for 12K below MSRP and keep a list of who came close to my asking. I had at least 20 dealers reject my offer in 4 states around me and said no one would do it and around 5 of the same ones called me back in the last week asking if I was still interested but I had put the deposit by then. I believe if one of the first 5 calls you make to the dealer and they accept your offer, you made a too high offer. You need to ask for better numbers than that.

The key in this game is that you control it at all times. When you step into a dealership the dealer wins half the battle. Don’t ever do it. I feel the phone has been most effective but you could do the same with an email but I prefer the phone as you make out a lot from the tone of the opposite person that you can’t in an email.

Remember you have to buy/lease 1 car every 3 years and the dealership has to sell couple of hundred cars every month so you are always in the drivers seat provided you know what you are doing.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have for me and also share if you have some other ideas that the community can benefit from.

14 Likes

Almost exactly how I got a deal on my wife’s 2016 Nissan Murano. Knew that there was a ton of lease cash. Knew the model had been sitting on their lot for quite some time (CarGurus.com is a great resource to narrow down how long a vehicle has been on a dealer lot) and I knew what the invoice was and knew what monthly I wanted - so going backwards from all that I made a few phone calls to 5 or 6 dealers and always asked for a sales manager as the salespeople can’t provide all the numbers or are unwilling to and just want to get you in the showroom. Once I got the sale price (and only the sale price of the vehicle) where I wanted - was in business and they couldnt fudge the numbers.

Some of these posts, like @HN308’s and @Ed_Churchward’s, should be archived in a sticky

CC: @michael @littleviolette

1 Like

Just to add to my previous post it also helps to see what volume dealers are offering as a dealership Special on their site. You can find these dealer names from people who have dealt with them and got a good deal. Anyone who gets a good deal or thinks he got one usually posts them on this site or either on edmunds lease thread etc.

Below is a good example for Infiniti Q50 in Jan 2017.

These guys are relatively straight forward with their pricing. They are offering a $43855 car for $299 a month with $1K down and this is without any negotiation. Can you not get them to drop that $1K down? I am sure that won’t be the hardest thing you have ever done. Even if the dealer is on the other coast from you it takes around $1000 to ship cars coast to coast and that is $25 a month. You don’t have to buy from the other coast but just let your dealer know that its an option which you will exercise.

Now when you reach out to the dealer armed with all this info its hard for him to play any games.

Some incentives are regional but there is not a lot of difference between the cost of one dealer to another.

HN

1 Like

Can you please pm me the dealer info as well?

Great stuff man, thanks so much. Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

Can you use Cargurus.com to find out how long a New car has been on the lot? Or is this only for used cars?

@HN308

Thanks for the awesome post!

Just to clarify, are you calling them first to ask how much they are willing to take off of MSRP? And then you know you have the other incentives you can work into the deal?

Or are you calling them and laying out how much you want off of MSRP including incentives?

Yes newvand usef cars how long they have been sitting on the lot. Also gives a range of fair to excellent sale prices based on length car has been there.

1 Like

ZeroSmith,

I don’t ask the dealers how much they are taking off MSRP.

I tell them how much I want off MSRP based on my research and see their response.

Remember that ‘You need to be in control at all times while making the deal’. There should be nothing in the deal that you don’t know about before you call the dealer and they will figure out pretty soon that you know your stuff and start being serious with you.

HN

1 Like

Hi Can you PM me the dealer info. This sounds like an amazing deal

Does anyone have the dealer info for this deal?

PM’d you the dealer info.

Please consider that the month has changed and would the incentives for dealers.

Hi, could you message me your dealer info? Thank you!

Hey can you also PM me the dealer info also?

Naper
ville Infiniti :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just FYI i called and spoke to the OPs guy twice and no calls back with offers.

Official quote from OP dealer for current month is $390. Ouch.

Hi Guys i know im a bit late to this but can i also get the dealer info? Thanks!