2017 Honda Clarity Electric (36 mo/20K) for $199/mo with $899 due (not including taxes, registration and fees) CA and OR residents only

We were in a hurry so it wasn’t Matt’s fault. I texted him a few mins ago and he’s going to take care of it.

Cant help but wonder if in 3 yrs time they will try to retrofit newer more powerful batteries into these to then sell, too much car to sell as is for next to nothing in 3 yrs from now, or even worse… to scrap like 90s ev’s.

Have been looking at a number of EV options for the Mrs. Miserly. 90% of driving done locally, short trips for the lil ones. The car feels like a upgraded Accord. That is much more pleasant thant a Bolt or Soul EV we considered and definitely more upgraded than the Ford Focus we considered for price. 20k miles is a lot.
Thanks for posting the deal OP. I got a white one!

1 Like

Congrats on the new car! I got a white one too!

Well the only other color (AFAIK) looks crap so white is the only real choice.

true true. Today I finally took my front license plate off. but need to fill out 1 hole that’s right in the center so it’s not that perfect but it’s very close to it.

2 Likes

Nice! What’s the legal requirement with plates? How did you fill the holes?

In California new car can drive without plate for 90 days. after that I’ll just put the plate on the dashboard using suction cup. But driving around here in NorCal, most of the Tesla don’t have front license plate on so… YMMV. Downtown SF’s meter maid will give out fix it tickets though. so never park on the street ever! only park in the private lot.

Fill the Holes:
I bought this hole plug for 42 cent plus tax. link

Then go to Honda dealership go grab the touch up paint( around $13).

3rd. just paint the hole plug, the fill the hole! lol

But I don’t know if every dealer are using the same size of screw or not.

Anyone know if a current Honda lessee gets the $350 disposition fee waived (upon return of current Honda lease) if the Clarity Electric is leased?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Joined this forum a couple days ago thinking I’d be shopping the whole month of December for a good deal on some car (we’re in the market for two cars), but I just leased a white Clarity after a test drive. It’s our first EV, but the range should be okay for our mostly urban usage. Too bad we’re not eligible for the $2500 credit.

1 Like

I had been comparing the Bolt and Clarity (fuel cell and EV) for the last several weeks and it was a really difficult decision. The Bolt is a great car, no doubt, but I found Chevy dealers either completely unresponsive to internet inquiries (via Costco, CarsDirect, Edmunds…) or incredibly sleazy to deal with in person. After much back and forth, the best lease I could get confirmed on a base Bolt LT without options was $200/mo higher than the Clarity EV, with at least twice as much needed out of pocket up front.

The Clarity is far nicer inside, for sure, and the sub-90 mile range should not be an issue for the majority of my driving. The added range of the Bolt is nice, but not necessary, and I had a hard time justifying the extra $200/mo for the Chevy.

We leased a blue Clarity EV for $169/mo (total including all fees) and $899 due at signing. No negotiation needed…this is what the dealer offered right off the bat. We will get the $2500 rebate from CA, and our utility (SMUD) supplies a free 240v charger for the house, making this a pretty stellar value in my opinion.

Yes the outside looks a little strange, and yes the range is less than some of the others, but these are all trade offs I’m happy to make for an excellent car. It’s been a week of gas-free motoring and I’m hooked.

2 Likes

@reno_bk - Can you share which dealer/salesperson? Going to check out the car tomorrow if possible

Yeah I think I would make the same decision. Just because the Clarity interior is just far nicer than the Bolt or Volt. I mean those cars don’t even have power seats, right?

Umm how did you get a deal better than the advertised 199/mo?? I thought the lease structure was set by Honda and not the dealership? The dealerships are just middle men when it comes to this car, they don’t own it, they just collect the money. Am I wrong?

this was the reason I couldn’t use my replace your ride incentive on it (which is the reason I’m asking btw)

Please share the dealer. Is this SoCal? I was told by a dealer today that they aren’t available yet. Lol.

Which dealership offer 169? Please do share the detail!

AutoNation in Roseville…Kristy LaFluer is the Clarity rep. She is awesome.

…and although the lease is directly from Honda, there is apparently some room in that $199/mo price. I was frankly willing to lease at $199/mo, and while we were sitting in the car in the showroom our salesperson indicated they were leasing them “that week only” for $169 including all tax and fees.

I will add that another dealer in town (Elk Grove) called me early on in my shopping and offered $199/mo but claimed total drive off under Hondas deal was closer to $1600 (not $899). He also confused the mpg-e rating with range and said the car could go well over 100mi on a charge, which is totally false. Needless to say, I didn’t bother pursuing that dealer.

So whether or not the $169/mo deal was just for Thanksgiving week or not, the deal is certainly negotiable to an extent and not the same from dealer to dealer.

Well in fairness, the 899 down advertised by Honda apparently doesn’t include lic, tax, reg etc so total driveoffs would be higher. Now if you actually drove off with 899 down then you got an even better deal.

Test drove this car today! I loved it I was quoted 1408 total drive offs with 217 inc tax. Trying to negotiate honda paying my last 4 payments and disposition for my kia soul ev+. I will be losing 4 miles in range but not a big deal.

Correct. The total drive off cost was $899.

2 Likes