2017 Honda Clarity Electric (36 mo/20K) for $199/mo with $899 due (not including taxes, registration and fees) CA and OR residents only

So lease terms are non-negotiable (primarily sale price)?

Yea 25.5 kWh is crazy small in 2017. But the features make up with it. 20k per year is crazy!

Ya, nothing is negotiable . Every car is the same just different color.

Hereā€™s the contract. Residual shows $30,370.95 after 3 year and the MSRP is $37,223.27ā€¦ does that mean the residual is 30370.95/37223.27 = 81.59% ??

1 Like

Yes, basically thatā€™s what it means.

MSRP is hard to find for this as itā€™s lease-only, but itā€™s actually ~$59k according to this article.

I bet they just took the price for the fuel cell version and slapped it on that page. $59K for a Honda electric car seems improbable.

Is there a weird hump in the trunk for the battery (like the Focus electric)? Do the rear seats even fold down?

Youā€™re right. The MSRP is around 37k. The 59k itā€™s the fuel cell model. Thereā€™s a big bump at the back but surprising the seats can fold. But with tiny pass through.

So the national offer only requires the dealers to give less than $300 discount to reach the deal? Is the car in that much demand that you canā€™t negotiate a better cap cost?

The honda website officially states the Plug-in hybrid is coming out for sale on Dec 1. But no dealers Iā€™ve talked to even know anything about it :frowning: really want to know the lease price on that. Anyone on here know anything?

They told me that they canā€™t do anything about the numbers. Everything is set by Honda. Itā€™s not their car to sell. I asked if I can add wear and tear protection on it. But they say they canā€™t since itā€™s not their car.

1 Like

I am near the port in Richmond, CA. Literally this weekend about 100 of the new Clarity cars were driven off one of the large Honda ships and are sitting in a row waiting to be picked up by the semi trailers. Was fun for me back when the Fit EVā€™s first came out. I probably saw about half of the entire stock of Fit EVā€™s come in to our port. Iā€™d say something big is happening with the Clarity, but I couldnā€™t tell if they were the EVā€™s or the PHEVā€™s.

None of the dealer has it and the demand will most likely be higher than the electric model. Therefore I think the lease number will be terrible when it land on the dealersā€™ lot

This sounds like what Hyundai is doing with the Ioniq Electric then.

Question for someone who has leased the car: Is this 100% electric? Any option of switching to gas for backup? I drive around 150 miles a day at times. Was wondering if I could do this without having to stop for recharge. Do the back seats recline?

I read a report that Honda was going to have loads of problem selling this because of low mileage so they had to slash prices. But if you cannot drive over 90 miles with one charge how are you supposed to be even close to 20K yearly mileage?

Thatā€™s probably why they offer 20k miles, because with that range most people probably wonā€™t get close to it. The car being discussed in this thread is for the all electric version. They are releasing a plug-in hybrid version next month, supposedly (47mi electric range). That one is like the Chevy Volt, has a small electric range but can also run off gasoline as a hybrid. No lease numbers yet on that version. I would imagine it would be higher than the all electric version.

My wife and I leased one about 2 weeks ago. Itā€™s 100% pure electric. The backseat does not recline, but it can fit 3 adults just fine. My wifeā€™s round trip from work is roughly 80 miles. The car usually says it has 29 miles left. When I plugged into our Juicebox, on avg, it fills up about 20 kwh. The rated battery on the Clarity is 25.5 kwh. That leaves her about 5.5 kwh left. Granted this is just normal 65-70mph driving, no carpool access yet since we donā€™t have HOV stickers yet. Our Clarity is avg 5.1 to 5.3 miles per kwh. 150 miles/day? I donā€™t you going to make without some recharging.

If you have access to fast DC charger, it will charge from 0% to 80% in 30mins. Level 2 charging takes 3.5hrs from empty.

1 Like

gluckā€¦ there are 3 versions of this car, the fuel cell version (only avail in CA), and has a wait list of over 1 yr in SoCal, and about 6 months in NorCal,
the electric only version, available right nowā€¦Both these versions are only avail for a set price non negotiable lease (20k miles).
The plug in hybrid is available for purchase, but not yet, Dec 1st.
The electric only version has some 80 odd miles of electric only range, the PHEV version coming in December has approx 47 electric only range, then the gas kicks in for another 250 or so from memory.
Fuel cell version has great rangeā€¦over 300 per tank, but is only for lease including the hydrogen credit card for 15,000 dollars worth of hydrogen, and the 20k miles.
Interesting thingā€¦what happens to those leases after the 3 yrs is up? Do they take them and trash them like the 90s electric cars?
Hydrogen isnā€™t price effective as a viable option right now, so Honda is paying for it in the hopes the infrastructure is set up better and becomes viableā€¦then i am sure the cars will be available to buy at lease endā€¦but its a gamble by Honda I think.
I do love the fuel cell version, but am going the PHEVā€¦to buy not lease, purely because the payments are not going to be too much more than the leased fuel cell version, and it gives the full 7.5k tax rebateā€¦making a lot more attractive than leasing and spending close to the same amount but not getting that.
For me, I get free charging at work, so I believe fuel running costs as a daily commuter will be tiny for me

Was it the same leasing number 2 weeks ago? I havenā€™t try to fully depleted the battery yet. Is there any break in period ? When I first take delivery, the range shows on the car says 72 miles, and now after 3 days it shows 81 miles.