2017 C43 AMG Sedan - $778/month (will offer incentive) - Utah

Due to some unfortunate planning, we realized too late that my wife’s X3 was too small for 3 car seats and need to replace one of our cars with something a little bigger. I think mine is the least-bad to get out of, so I’m trying to see what kind of cash I’d have to lay out to get out of this one.

Details:

MSRP: $61,095
Payment: $778/month + tax
Months left: 17 / 42
Current miles: 12,500
Allowed miles: 35,000
Miles remaining: 22,500 (1,323 per month)
Transfer fee: I will cover the $595 transfer fee
Incentive: Make me an offer. I know this isn’t a great deal by LH standards, so I know I’m going to have to offer some cash.

Condition:

Fairly low miles. I just completed the Service B, which is the expensive one.

In 2016, it was hit by a shopping cart in a storm and the front left headlight was cracked. Unfortunately, water got in and shorted out the electrical, which made it so I had to replace the entire headlight assembly. This work was done at a Mercedes dealer and I have paperwork for it. No other damage, cosmetic or otherwise, occurred.

There is also a small rock chip on the windshield.

The tires are in good shape and everything else on the car is in great shape. Garage-kept and no pets in it, kids in it very rarely.

1 Like

Nice ride! Good luck.

For reference, I just got a first-pass quote at $1,389 DAS and $605 / month for 36 months 7.5k miles on a $59k 2019 C 43.

It doesn’t help your cause that a mild refresh happened for 2019. I’m speculating that for someone here to bite, you’d probably need to get payments to $650ish.

Best luck!

This car needs to be in the 500s to make any sense as a swap here. You probably recognize this was not a good deal so I won’t belabor that point but if you want to move it you should decide what incentive you are willing to offer and not wait for someone to pitch you.

2 Likes

For sure an incentive will be needed; but I think trying to be in the 5’s is perhaps pretty aggressive.

Get it to $610 plus tax and you’re at the 1% benchmark. I would consider that a potentially sellable price point.

Obviously the more quickly you want it gone will also affect the ultimate incentive.

Let’s just pretend you want it at $600 a month. You’re looking at $3k roughly in cash to the taker.

I’d guess that’s the least you’d have to offer to get anyone here. Swapalease, maybe less but it’s a sh&tshow over there.

Nope it will need to be in the $500s. In your case you’re dealing with the model refresh in a time when there is very light support. There are dozens of 1-2 yr old C43s up on swapalease that are at that price point. For local reference here is one from Utah -

www.swapalease.com/mobile/lease/details/2018-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class.aspx?salid=1269884

Well, $600 and $586 are not crazy far apart numbers haha.

:sunglasses:

It needs to be even better. That example is a $68k car on a regular 36 month term. OPs car is $7k cheaper, on a 42 month term and has prior damage.

On a used 2017 MY. Not the same as new/loaner even if that 1% rule existed.

Maybe I’m alone, but I also see a value in a short-term lease opportunity as there is only 17 months left.

Some people like that flexibility and will pony up a couple quid a month or more for it.

Sure, at the right price and considering the age and condition.

The damage and rock chip is what makes this a little scary. But I think if you threw this on leasetrader at $650/mo someone would bite on it. It’s a nice car and doesn’t ever come in at 1%.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Definitely understand this is going to be a little painful for me and I’ll probably have to end up putting it on leasetrader, but the feedback here has been really helpful.

A few questions:

1. Is it worth replacing the windshield since it has a rock chip? If that is costing me more than $1,000 in the lease transfer, then I guess so? Kind of bummed, because this happened like a week ago. Not my month!

2. Is the headlight repair scaring people off? I definitely need to disclose something like that, but I didn’t realize it would be such a big issue, given that there was no body damage and it was fully repaired with OEM parts at a Mercedes facility. Such a shame - I always park further out in parking lots to avoid damage, but had I parked around more cars in this case, I probably wouldn’t have been the car eating a shopping cart :frowning:

I thought maybe this car would be easier to unload than my wife’s X3 since she has more miles on hers than I do, but maybe it is worth thinking about hers more (I’d much rather keep this car anyway).

The rock chip is interesting to me. In MA, insurance covers glass 100% with no deductible and it doesn’t affect your premiums. Not sure what other states are like that, but for what it’s worth, it would not hinder my decision.

Same here. I pay $100 for a windshield through insurance, so I’d take it and claim that a few mos later, if even needed. The headlight is no issue whatsoever. No body damage and no carfax ding, I assume (you paid out of pocket, correct?) Not even necessary to disclose it, IMHO.

I think some folks are overlooking how many miles are left. Are these other comparables up for grabs offering the equivalent of 16k/yr? Nope. Personally, I think $600 would be VERY attractive on this with those miles. I’d probably push for $620 first. It is not like you are in a rush.

I agree with you that a short term lease can be very attractive. Great way to get in and out of a higher end car without too long of a commitment.

Couldn’t agree with you guys more. I believe people are willing to pay more for a short term lease. Example-some people in sales may be getting a solid bonus this time of year. If responsible, they know that not every year is a great year, so to pickup something short term until they see how 2019 pans out is much less risky.

I believe those who do not think that way are what leads to a lot of the lease swap offers we see on SAL. I have no statistics to support that. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve have never understood any premium for a short term lease, you are on the hook for disposition, lease inspection and turn in. I’d rather be the first leaser in most cases. If you get a good deal you will have no problem swapping out your lease whenever you want (assuming it’s transferable without strings attached).

2 Likes

I’ve returned numerous Mercedes and BMW in FL, many times with chipped or even starrred windshields, last BMW had a chip and a star, they never even mentioned it.

The light is only a issue if you return it damaged, since it’s been repaired, it’s absolutely NOT an issue.

Good luck friend.

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill

The damage is only mildly concerning. If you have all the repair receipts I think that alleviates a lot of that concern. I don’t think you’ll totally lose your shirt on this transfer. The only caveat is whether you can find someone willing to travel to Utah in the middle of winter :joy: