2017 BMW i3 REx lease - 36mo / 10k mi / $298mo

Hey guys,

This is my first lease. Been looking to get a nice electric car to take advantage of the rebates (CA, Federal)! After driving a VW e-Golf and the i3 it was easy to choose!

I have been working with a few dealerships in Los Angeles and the surrounding area and have not been able to make much headway. But today I finally got what looks like a pretty solid breakdown for a good deal… I think?!

Here is what I sent in and they approved it and sent me back an image from their system- looks like it is matching these numbers as far as I can tell.

2017 BMW i3 94 Ah w/ Range Extender
Ext: Fluid Black w/ highlight BMW Blue
Int: Deka Gray / Blue Highlight
Parking Assistance Package
Moonroof
Harmon Kardon Premium sound system

51795 MSRP
7500 FEDERAL REBATE (TAXED)
1000 OPTION ALLOWANCE - SPECIAL OFFER VIA BMWUSA.COM (UNTAXED)
2500 DEALER DISCOUNT (UNTAXED)
3000 DOWN PAYMENT
925 ACQUISITION FEE (PAID UPFRONT)
37795 NET CAPITALIZED COST

10000 MILES PER YEAR
58% RESIDUAL
36 MONTHS
.00136 MONEY FACTOR (APR 3.26%)
7 MSD
.00087 MONEY FACTOR AFTER MSD (APR 2.09%)

80 DOCUMENT FEE
400 LICENSE/REGISTRATION FEE
9% SALES TAX

274 MONTHLY PAYMENT (WITHOUT TAX)
298 MONTHLY PAYMENT (WITH TAX)

78839 DRIVE OFF

• FIRST MONTH PAYMENT OF 298
  • DOWN PAYMENT OF 3000
  • TOTAL MSD PAYMENT 2100
  • DOCUMENT AND LICENSE/REGISTRATION FEES 480
  • TAX ON CAP COST REDUCTION AND FEES 1035
  • ACQUISITION FEE 925

350 DISPOSITION FEE TO BE PAID ON VEHICLE RETURN

16132 TOTAL LEASE COST
13632 TOTAL LEASE COST AFTER 2500 CALIFORNIA REBATE

ALSO!!!

I can get the same vehicle, but with the TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE for an additional $35/mo and increased MSD to 2450…

Finally - FYI the national deal on BMWUSA.COM is for a vehicle of MSRP 51695, for 36/mo @ 309/mo, MSD waived, and 4234 down (not including tax, title, lic., reg., dealer fees, etc.).

So what do you guys think? Is this good, or do you see any issues or things to watch out for? Is the technology package worth the extra expense?

Thank you!

1 Like

Always max out your MSD.
Never pay a down.

What Im doing here is 7 MSD - the max BMW allows for. Then I’m doing 3k down - $2500 to be refunded via the CA rebate.

I see. Well- I feel that the selling price can be negotiated down a little more. I’m in the market for the same car. I’m in the OC area- maybe we can get better pricing if we both go in there at the same time haha- what do you think?

I had a typo in the original post - I fixed it - 51795 MSRP

That seems a pretty good deal overall. As Alex said above, I would skip the $3k down. You’re total drive offs will still be around $5k, so the $2,500 CA Rebate still has plenty to offset. Your payment will rise by about $83 ($3k / 36 months).

If you’re in LA area (or really anywhere in CA), definitely contact Greg Poland at Pacific BMW.

Does anyone have a recommendation for East Coast BMW dealers?

Bmw atlanta global imports

How much can one realistically expect the dealer to drop on MSRP? I’m in negotiations on the same car but with the tech package (ACC is awesome if you drive traffic BTW) so my MSRP is 52795.

Depends on the vehicle.

Japanese cars do not lease well (most people pay cash)

Shoot for minimum 8% for Sedans- do your research online and compare with other dealers if you want to yolk them for more.

SUVs are very hard to get a discount- I’d settle for 3%

@Alex and @Tom - Curious if either of you pulled a trigger on an i3 in LA? If so let me know what dealer and who you worked with. If not, I would be interested in pulling together a group purchase to see if we could gain any leverage. I think the issue will be inventory trying to go to one dealer but it can’t hurt to try.

Agreed- I’m interested. I held out this long telling myself every day to “stick to the plan” for December sales (and exercising my BMWCCA) And yes- still targeting the i3.

Good to know. I am hoping December brings some better incentives. Focusing on the 2017 REx but would also consider the BEV since it has a better range now. Let’s see if anyone else wants in. I was also wondering if you had any idea on if the Green HOV stickers are being issued quickly? I see a lot of i3’s without stickers and it’s one of the biggest selling points for me in a commuter car.

According to this article- CA is issuing an unlimited amount stickers as of 09/16/2016. As for when will we receive them?- I have no clue.

From what I’ve seen and read, you should be able to get 10% off msrp on the REX. Keep us updated, i’l be shopping for one january or february.

Hey guys - I took the deal described in the original post. Only difference was that I added the lease protection for $1150. This covers the tires and any other minor damages that may prevent your MSD from being retnrned when you bring the car back in at the end of the lease. May have paid a few hundred more than necessary (new tires are around $500-600) but its a good piece of mind to know that I dont have to fear using the vehicle (wear & tear OK). McKenna BMW is the place to go! No stickers yet but application was submitted a few weeks ago. Also, got notice that I will be approved to receive the $2500 rebate - should be coming soon!

Congrats on the new car, enjoy it!

Green stickers are available now. I got mine a few weeks ago. It took about three weeks from the time I mailed in the application and $20 fee.

@puinsai another user (@Mochi) just messaged me from LA that she is also interested in joining our group to lease an i3.

That’s great. That means we have three total which is starting to get compelling. Hopefully others will be interested. The good thing is that we all seem to be on a flexible timetable and are waiting for the right deal. I am starting to hit up various dealers to see where they stand. In the past few days there have been rumors of another upgrade to the 2017 i3 as well as an i3S model in 2018. That means the latest version (although new) will become old quickly in 2017.
Here’s a link to the rumor: http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/11/27/rumor-bmw-offer-new-version-i3-electric-car-2017/

Let’s get a group purchase together!!