2017 BMW i3 REX, $231/month in SoCal

Thanks all for all the information. I guess I can put the mileage anxiety behind me now lol. Still scratching my head trying to understand the real selling price of OP, was it 45000-7500-2500-1500? That sounds too good to be true.

I have spent a total of $5 for electricity on my 2017 i3 Rex in the last 3 months. $5 got me 2,200 miles. The $5 that I have spent on the car was just the first couple days of ownership until I got my ā€œChargeNowā€ card registered. You get free level 3 charging for 2 years from BMW. I am lucky that have a L3 station just a couple of miles from my house. 80% charge in 30 mins. Couldnā€™t be happier with my i3. I believe the Leaf also has free charging for one or 2 years at L3.

Another benefit of the i3ā€¦ 10-14 days a year of free loaners cars from BMW when you need to go on a long road trip. Itā€™s not really advertised a lot. You have to reserve the loaner well in advance. It is tough at times to get the loaner from a dealership where you did not buy the car from. Fiat had the same type of deal with rental car companies. 14 days of free rental cars a year. I am still sitting on 13 days of free rentals that will expire in about 3 weeksšŸ˜’

The sales price appears to be $36k ($45k - $9k in rebates). He is paying $2500 in CCR, but will get that back in a few weeks from CAā€™s CARB rebate.

@jay1 The ā€œselling priceā€ is the negotiated price. I did a lot of emailing between dealerships to negotiate a selling price of $45k (from MSRP of $52,245). After the cap cost reductions ($7500 fed tax rebate + $2500 down deposit + $1500 AARP discount), the adjusted cap cost came down to $33,500. Does that help?

1 Like

@jay1 If youā€™re in California, there are quite a few state rebates and incentives for electric vehicles, including home charging stations. Hereā€™s a good resource: https://driveclean.arb.ca.gov/pev/Charging.php

Thanks, OP. So I used the numbers you gave on the lease calculator:

MSRP: 52245
Sales Price: 33500
RV: 58%
MF: 0.00091
Tax: 8.75%

And I got $189 as the monthly payment incl. tax. What am I missing here?

Solo, is the loaner available only for 2017MY?? I have 2015 BEV and did not know this. Dealer didnā€™t say a word about this nice perk(Irvine BMW) I guess iā€™ll call to find outā€¦

Itā€™s called the ā€œFlexible Mobility Programā€. I believe it has been around for a couple of years. Not all dealers participate. I remember seeing a list of participating dealers somewhere. Not sure if Irvine BMW is on it. I believe Crevier is on it, but they only offer it to customers that leased/purchased from their dealership.

If the BMW dealer offers the Flexible Mobility Program, itā€™s supposed be available to any i3 owner no matter where they bought the car.

I leased my i3 at Crevier and have used the program at Crevier and Sterling BMW (Newport Beach). Crevier restricted the car usage to California while Sterling allowed out of state trips. The loaner from Sterling included Fastrak and free toll road usage in Orange County. Sterling also let you return the car at 7 PM while Crevier made you return it in the morning.

Shelly BMW in Buena Park also has the program.

http://www.shellybmw.com/i3-flexible-mobility/

@Jon Iā€™m a ā€œsheā€ by the way and can negotiate with the best of them. :wink:

@jay1 The lease calculator isnā€™t 100% reliable for me either. Not sure why.

Sorry, I couldnā€™t tell from your username and didnā€™t click to see your name in your profile. Great job getting that price and enjoy the car. :+1:

1 Like

@jay1 This is the closest I can make the numbers match. The problem is it doesnā€™t include the $1500 AARP discount which the dealer had me sign up for. I donā€™t know why but the calculator just isnā€™t reliable for me. Itā€™s possible that I donā€™t fully know all the numbers in my lease. But if youā€™re wanting a competitive lease the best thing to do is choose a car that holds its value (high residual rate), negotiate the lowest selling price you can, find as many rebates/discounts as possible and add on a few MSD. Pulling all the levers, even a little bit, will get you the best deal possible.

Tax on rebates. ā€¦20char

No worries. Thank you for sharing the deal. So as I understand it you are fronting the CA CVRP rebate in the form of a down payment right?

@gerwalk Yup thatā€™s correct! I should have that money back in 3-4 weeks. The rebate application is fast and easy. Apparently, there are state rebates for home EVSE charging stations too but I havenā€™t looked deeply into it yet.

Thanks, OP. Some numbers are off but nonetheless that is a solid deal, congrats!

A tiny correction on the CVRP rebate.

The rebate application is usually approved within 30 days, although it took 5 weeks in my case when I applied back in Jan. It will take a couple of weeks longer if you are lucky enough to be selected for income verification.

Once approved, you will receive a check within 90 days and Iā€™m still waiting for mine :wink:

Good to know, @Cartoman. Thanks for the expectation setting! Iā€™ve been notified that Iā€™m approved with no income verification needed. I guess I just wait for the check now?

Super deal. Enjoy the electric