2017 BMW i3 REX 12k/24 mths. One Pay $1303 or 54.29/mth - NJ/NY

@HN308 I have an urgent need for your opinion on this. After reading about your amazing deal, I tried to replicate it. And I have pretty much.

I have the following deal:

2017 i3 REX (seems like a base model, doesn’t have the back up camera)
MSRP: $50,495
Selling price: $44,229
Rebates: 9500 (need to get the breakdown of this, but includes $500 fleet)
Trade in: 2016 Honda HR-V 28k miles (lease doesn’t end till August 2018, monthly payment $279) remaining payments ~$1960

24 month, 10k miles

They’re quoting me $318/month.

But looking at it, seems like they’re over charging me. I need to get the deals break down.

What are your thoughts?

I think they can do better, considering on one of the papers their total purchase price was $37105 including the 1900 I owe on my current car

With all numbers you provided and I assumed your tax rate at 6.5% the numbers come to $236/mth and you pay tax, dmv and 1st month at signing.

If you roll the trade in payments of 1960 it increases to $322/mth so their number is correct.

this is 24/10k lease.

Your discount of 12% is pretty ok but you need to check why the rebates are only 9500. What is the lease cash this month? 7500 is coming from fed tax credit and after fleet he is only giving 1500 lease cash.

Do you have loyalty or recent grad or military? that will reduce the price.

I don’t think you want to pay 322 for this car but that is my personal opinion. You can get a 3 series loaner for that much money or maybe even less.

HN.

1 Like

@HN308 thanks so much for going over the numbers for me. The 7500 federal credit, is that given to me right away or do I file that on my taxes?

I’m reading online and it seems I have to keep the car for 36 months to qualify for the 7500 federal tax credit .
https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs

See #4

Is the MF good on this? I really need a break down of everything to know for sure. I’m probably going to head back to the dealership now to see

I am a recent graduate though, so maybe they can bring it down some more

It’s right away because you don’t technically own the car. The rebate is given to the bank and they pass that savings to you. Some car brands only give u a portion of the rebate if you lease, but it looks like BMW gives the full credit as a rebate.

3 Likes

I tapped out at on my I3 for $79 a month with all-in rebates -> $83 because I wanted the cool metallic paint.

Salesman nervously laughed and said “you’re not really worried about $4 for a paint option are you?” when I started grilling him for the paint.

Secretly I was actually thinking of passing because of the $4 paint option for a no-cost paint i3 they had instead…

3 Likes

Where are you located? I would totally do it for $83/month.

So the lowest I could get them to was the 318 with 2900 down.

They would have made it lower with the $1000 new grad discount and no acquisition cost but I felt it still wasn’t good enough a deal

I’m sitting at a BMW dealership here and they are telling me that the rebate is only $9500. How did you guys get the 2k lease cash and 1k buildout cash?

My local dealers say the incentive is 7500 iperformance, up to 1000 buildout and 2000 only with loyalty - so perhaps regional incentive differences.

Yea dealer here said they don’t see a buildout cash nor 2k lease cash

Which region/zipcode are you in?

I was told by local dealer that there is $12k ($7,500 + $2,000 loyalty + $500 fleet + $2,000 lease cash). I believe those are all national. The buildout is the only regional incentive as far as I can tell.

Atlanta GA 30326
They don’t even see the 2k lease cash here

Same here in NC. 27519

Can any NJ people help w/ the tax situation? Dealer is claiming that i3 REX does not qualify bc it isn’t 100% zero emission.

However, multiple people here from NJ did not pay tax.
The list on the NJ state website says “i3, ALL MODELS”, however that same document says partial emission free does not qualify…so that’s what the dealer is sticking to.
http://www.drivegreen.nj.gov/zev.html

I found some blog/news articles from 2014 of how they used to charge tax for REX, but then later reversed their decision to include the REX for the incentive…but I can’t find any official documentation of that.

How does the taxation even work? When they run it in the computer, will the computer generate 0 tax based on our zip? or do they manually charge the tax?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Have them call the state to confirm.

I’d also point out the fact that they specifically mention Toyota Prius and Civic Hybrid as not qualifying, and consequently, they are not listed in the PDF file. The i3 lists ALL MODELS.

Or, tell them you’ll confirm with another dealer as your friend was able to obtain the exemption on theirs. That might get them moving to make it work.

Supposedly they called the DMV who confirmed their stance

They probably got someone on the phone who just reiterated the fact that it must be zero emission, and not really speaking specifically about i3 REX

I called but unable to get a hold of person at Dept Environ Protection , which made the list
Also called Dept Taxation, but they were closed

I told them other dealers do not charge tax, and she implies they’re doing something wrong

tell your dealer to feel free to charge sales tax if the BMW finance software calculates it.

That system will show it at Zero tax when a NJ zip code is punched by the finance manager.

Your dealer calling DMV is like a Blind aiding a Blind.

We all know how efficient DMV employees are.

Don’t waste your time any more. I will send you a picture of my contract with no tax.

Doing the math, actually I’m getting a really good deal, but just being in NY sucks.

MSRP: $50495
Selling price: 44229
Discounts: 7500 + 2000 lease + 1000 new grad + 500 fleet = $11000

I could get this for $215-241/month

Worth it?

What’s the term and which dealer is this at? BMW of Freeport (I saw one with the same MSRP on their site not too long ago)? Also don’t forget the $1,000 buildout cash on 2017s, but I am not sure if that continued into February.