2017 Audi A3 E Tron Premium Plus, tech pkg- bad deal?

Hi,
I’ve never leased and have been enjoying reading through the forum to learn a bunch.

I asked for an “out the door” price from Santa Monica Audi (in CA, which I’m told is the world’s #1 seller of the E Tron) on a 2017 A3 E Tron Premium Plus with Technology package (one of the only they had in their inventory with lots “in transit”).

I got an email back saying “$42.000.00 out the door, including All Taxes and DMV Fees…
This number includes the Federal Rebate and not the State rebate.”

I then asked if this sales price could be used as basis for a lease, 36 mo, 10k mi, top tier + credit, and asked for MF and Residual, to which I received:

"MSRP $47.300.00

• Sales Price : $43.114.00
  • Minus $5.000.00 of Rebates and Incentive
  • Residual is 55% of MSRP
  • Money Factor is .00097
  • 36 months
  • 10.000 miles per year
  • ZERO CASH DOWN
  • Your Payments are $457.00 plus tax = $498.00 all-in

I am not sure how the sales price jumped (considering the price if financed included all tax, title, and license), but I also can’t get these numbers to add up correctly in the lease calculator - I’m showing $456/mo inc. tax.

First off, what am I doing wrong with the calculations? Second, doesn’t this seem quite a bit too high for the A3 E Tron? Do I need to push harder on the sales price (considering this is including the Federal money for plug in hybrid)? How might I go about negotiating this down?

Any other tips for how to get this car at a better price? Thanks in advance!!

Hi, just wondering - how did you manage 5000 of rebates and incentives? I’m in the market for an A4 and am wondering. Also, did you happen to get audi care?

@Thomaskymn, I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything just yet. I believe the majority of that $5k is from Federal money because it is a plug-in hybrid.

1 Like

$7500 go towards reducing the price of the car.

$2500 goes to you in the form of a check. (Restricted depending on your income so check the fed website for clean vehicle rebate)

The Etron is not eligible for the full $7500 and $2500 (In CA) rebates. Federal is about $4200. Audi is most likely not giving you the entire $4200 on a lease.

Does ZERO CASH DOWN mean no drive off, or first month/fees/dmv?

Tell them what you’re willing to pay…and let them get back to you.

Also, FWIW, I leased 6 Audi’s here in LA…Santa Monica was never remotely competitive.

FWIW,

Pacific Audi has 40 E-Trons in stock
Beverly Hills Audi has 54
Downtown Audi has 43
Rusnak Audi has 39
Circle Audi has 42

Time to call other dealers.

The federal rebate is $4502, this should come off msrp. Then you mail in your application to the state for $1500.
I’m looking at the same car in San Diego, but 15K/36

Also Audi will make your first Lease payment, which they can add as a credit toward your drive offs.

This doesn’t seem like anything close to a good deal. Here’s why:

Right now, even here in green CA, SUV’s rule the roost. That’s especially true for Audi with the new Q5. All carmakers are finding it more difficult to sell or lease cars vs SUV’s. Moreover, the A3 is asking a lot from buyers in that it’s a relatively small car with a small back seat (the cheaper, bigger, all new A4 is roomier). Then factor in ample local inventory of the A3, as well as the fact that the e-tron sure feels like a compliance car.

There may be dealers more anxious to move units of these because of bonuses from Audi. I’d shop this.

Can someone please tell me if the 4502$ fed rebate that is used as a cap cost reduction by Audi taxed ?

Thanks everyone. This community is awesome.

I’m still unclear why the “sales price” of the car jumped so significantly when I said I was going to lease (remember, the $42k out the door included tax, title, license)?

As for stock, I’ve called to several Audi dealers and most don’t have any truly in stock, but have many on order, “waiting in the port”, or in transit. Only a couple places had one for me to test drive - yes, just ONE. I tend to agree that this probably is a compliance vehicle for them, so they need to move them.

As for the question of going with a regular A4 for less money, that’s something I’m really considering. It is an attractive car, more space in the back, and they do seem to be offering some decent discounts (they are really pushing the Ultra - another compliance car).

Other than emailing every Audi in the area (which I’ll probably do, to see apples to apples of what they’ll offer), what other tips? When I email, should I just ask about sales price, or do I specify I’m looking to lease up front? I feel like I keep reading about great lease deals people are getting, but I keep getting quoted horrible deals (from a variety of makers).

It may just be an Audi thing regardless of dealer. I remember the last time I went to drive an Audi, my wife was needing a car and she really liked the A4. When it came to discussing numbers, the salesman gave me some line about it being a low volume car and that they didn’t have room to deal. He kept a straight face even when I laughed.

We leased a 3 series sedan within a few days of this.

It’s a competitive market. Dealers compete against each other and against other dealers from other mfgs. You hold the cards. You have the checkbook. If a dealer doesn’t want to compete, they lose.

You might try contacting No. Cal and San Diego dealers, Las Vegas dealers and Phoenix dealers to see what they can do for you. Then see if the locals are interested in meeting the best offer.

Would you just email a bunch of dealers asking for A3 ETron, Premium Plus in the following colors… or A4 Premium Plus in the following colors - best out the door price?

Or would you ask for best lease deal up front?

The best deals are always on the cars sitting on the dealers lot. That way they don’t have to trade and it makes it easy for them.

Step 1 - confirm via your eyes or absolute salesperson at dealership(s) that the car you want (color, options) is on the dealers lot and available for sale (not pre-sold or any crap like that). Get the VIN# and Stock #, write it down. Do not trust the website or someone who has not laid eyes on the car.

Step 2 - Have your finances in order. Get a pre-approval from your CU or make absolutely sure what your FICO scored are so you can accurately state “I’m Tier 1 Credit” or something similar.

Step 3 - Pick one salesperson to work with (at each dealership) and do all you dealings with them - either online or in person.

Step 4 - Try to do all the preliminary estimates and deals via email so you have a paper trail. Make sure you ask the salesperson if the deal has been approved by the Finance Manager before you waste your time only to find out later that the Finance guy won’t honor the deal.

Step 5 - Make sure you have all the basics - RV, MF, Cap cost, term, mileage, MSRP, rebates, etc.

Step 6 - pick the best one or post here and we’ll help you sort it out.

1 Like

The sales quote for $42k is probably after the $4200 fed rebate.

The lease quote ‘sales price’ of $43k is probably without the $4200 fed rebate. on leases those don’t technically reduce the sale price, although it may find it’s way into audi cash as lease incentive cash.

Regardless of how they got there, $500 a month seems like too damn much to pay per month for that car.

There is a 2016 E-Tron available at one dealer in san diego, what would be a good % off MSRP for this car.

I’d first figure out which of these cars you want. One’s a plug in hybrid with a hatch and a Fed and state tax credit, a smallish back seat and a bit older design and because of it’s compliance-ishness, you might get a better deal.

The other is a brand new model with a regular gas engine, available with a stick and some new infotainment options, a lower MSRP, but since it’s a new model, deals may be harder to get.

There is a national lease offer from Audi for $359/36 months and $2,294 due at signing. This is the Premium model though. This car does not lease well when you start packing on the options. My guess is because the residual value falls down considerably being just an A3 and FWD. The electrified part of this vehicle will allow be dated and near obsolete by 2020.

Thanks @maximusa, that’s a pretty decent deal. The best quote I got for the A3 was a Premium Plus with Tech package, $2,000 due at signing and $369 a month. I almost went for it - way better deal than anyone else had offered. If anyone wants to see if that deal is still available, I’m happy to put you in touch with the sales person I was working with. It really was better than any other A3 Etron offer I had, especially for the Prem. Plus with Tech.

Ultimately, I went with a '17 Chevy Volt Premiere with both Driver Confidence packages and Auto Cruise Control because I found a great deal, thanks to @ryans suggestion of Camino Real Chevy. I’ll write up the deal to see what you all think in a bit. It is my first lease, but I believe it was a great deal in the end… now just need to find a good electrician for a charger and see which solar company I want to go with - I’m going all in toward plug in cars for my future.