20% off MSRP for 2020 M235i that’s been on lot 200+ days too much to ask?

You can. Doesn’t mean they will accept it. They quite likely won’t. They likely won’t answer you back actually.

8 Likes

How does that compare to recent deals in the Marketplace or Shared Deals? Loaners may be going in the 16-20% range for high-volume 3-/5-series… 7-‘s had trunk money… M235? :thinking:

If you’re too far off, don’t be surprised if they ghost you or ignore you going forward.

Fair enough, that’s why I’m consulting the community first. I’ve always gotten loaners but seeing a 2020 like this, on the lot so long, I don’t know. It’s kind of new territory. What, in your opinion, would be an aggressive starting point that allows for some back and forth without coming off ridiculous?

Sometimes when a dealer has a car they long it’s because they’re a bit unreasonable about what the market would actually bear for that vehicle. Your offer assumes they’ve finally seen the light, but that’s not necessarily going to be the case.

8 Likes

I don’t think 20% off a new, non demo m230i means they’ve seen the light. It means they are desperate, or are ok with lightning 10k on fire. Neither of which seem likely on a car that hasn’t had a birthday yet, and still has lease support. Maybe when lease support dries up and they can only finance it.

There’s always been this huge misconception on LH that dealers will just give cars away when lease support is winding down, just because lease support is ending. It’s simply not true. And when they aren’t, the dealer is unrealistic scum. Sure, they lose some ability to move it with only financing, and they also know this. They aren’t dumb, despite what many think. Not everyone leases.

Like they say, there’s an ass for every seat.

3 Likes

@spockvr6 did a comparable deal recently but he really had to work it — see this thread:

Note it is for a loaner.

IMO, for a non-loaner/demo it is going to be harder obviously, but I wouldn’t be shy about going in at 20% pre-incentive. I think we will start to see a few more of these cars popping up as confirmed signings in the 20s.

Yeah…it may signify a dealer who just doesn’t want to play. If they have a non-loaner/demo car that has been there almost a year, they may be content to sit on it.

1 Like

I assume I will be memed shortly for this:

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take…

As others have said, the dealer may like celebrating car birthdays/“i know what I have got” or they might understand its time to cut it loose.

Get your numbers ready for the lease (mF, RV, MSDs, DAS, any taxable and nontaxable fees, and be prepared to explain why you think 20% is a fair offer (used examples etc).

The rest is history and a bit of luck.

G luck!

1 Like

You can. Its an aging unit, so either the dealer wants to try to hold on to it in order to get the most money out of it or they are ready to sell it and take it as a loss.

New car is a game changer , because even if lease support ends, new car incentives remain for sale.

Loaners will end up in their used car or “certified pre owned” lot so they have more incentives to cut em loose.

20% isn’t outrageous. I’d def ask them but I would word it in a sales price and not say “I want 20% off this car”

3 Likes

Def - make them do the math.

2 Likes

I would suggest otherwise. Do the research and math yourself. Have it accurate to the last dollar as far as due at signing and monthly based on all the inputs (MF/RV/Incentives/Tax/Doc Fee etc). And then submit your offer. Don’t even mention 20% off.

That’s what the guys mean, offer a sales price # and or lease offer with that sales price.

They will at least consider it and find that’s it’s a 20 percent deal, as opposed to asking for a 20 percent deal that they may ignore or accept by throwing a bunch of markups and dealer add ons.

3 Likes

cant hurt to ask! all they can do is say no or just ignore… but worth asking or maybe they will negotiate.

How would you put in numbers as sale price when calculating as 20% off without showing 20%? Im curious

You’d either say “a selling price of $xxxxx” or “$xxx per month with $yyyy das” instead of “I’d like 20% off”

1 Like

And we just saw one at 24% in @Tanik thread. That was with an OL code, but even without it 20% should be a reasonable request.

1 Like

That was a demo

This one he’s targeting is a new non demo/loaner

Let us know what happens

Yes, for a non-demo loaner it will be a little bit harder, but 20% still does not seem unreasonable.

Personally, I usually don’t even waste too much time chasing non-demo/loaner cars. I’d rather save the extra few percent!

1 Like