1.5 years into BMW lease, car may be totaled

It’s most likely for sanitization purposes… once before starting work, once after.

1 Like

I thought you couldn’t do that with a lease? I was under the impression you had to go to BMW or someone who is authorized by them?

IDK where you live but I’d be shocked if you weren’t allowed to use any licensed facility of your choosing.

Otherwise it would become a racket of inflated repair work

BMW of Nashville sent me to this shop because they don’t have an in house collision center. Whether there’s more than one of those in my area, I didn’t ask. I’m just trying to avoid any issues with the work when I return the car.

In New York, you get the car inspected by the insurance company. They will likely cut you a check that’s less than what the cost of the repair is. You find what ever shop you want to go to and Give them the check. The shop will ask for supplemental payment from insurance.

I don’t believe there are BMW certified repair shops. There are shops that individual dealers use for their repairs. Maybe they get a cut? Not sure.

Yea, you definitely don’t have to take it to an “authorized” BMW body shop (if there’s even such a thing) or the one the dealer sends you to, or anything like that. Hell you can fix the thing yourself if feel so inclined. All that matters is that it’s fixed up to spec at turn in.

Some shops are certainly more familiar with certain brands than others, something to take into consideration, but you don’t have to get fixed where the dealer sends you.

1 Like

My insurance company is going to do their own inspection as well. The number they come up with will certainly be less than the estimate I posted above but that’s for tomorrow me to deal with.

Fair enough

Second Update: Final results back from shop and insurance company and it is in fact totaled.

10 Likes

Good outcome in the sense that a quick resolution is best… better than my brother’s experience of time and aggravation to eventually reach the same outcome

1 Like

I totaled my Lexus about half way into a 3 year lease. The only thing no one seems to have mentioned is gap insurance. The value you owe vs the money the insurance pays - might mean you’ll owe the difference, unless you have gap insurance. My difference was like $2k but I had gap. Not sure if the other persons insurance has to pay that though. My accident was a solo project. :joy::man_facepalming:

1 Like

BMW includes cap coverage in their leases. Toyota financial is pretty much the only bank that charges extra for it (and a really high price compared to what you can usually get it for through your insurance).

Your lexus should have also had gap coverage as part of your lease and not needed extra gap coverage.

1 Like

So TFS includes gap for Lexus leases? So only Toyota leases have to pay extra? I definitely did not know that. That makes it all the more annoying that they don’t include it for Toyota models.

Given what you said about floorpan damage, it’s probably for the best. But hopefully you can get another killer lease deal. Even if you have to pay a bit more, at least it’ll be on a new generation 330i or something, vs the last generation tech from your 430i GC. Silver lining perhaps?

1 Like

That’s my hope! Based on what others are saying it sounds like I won’t run across a deal like that again but luckily I’ve got some time to shop around.

3-series isn’t leasing well right now. You may want to look at the 2-series, Mercedes C300, etc.

1 Like

And Volvo S60 T8 :point_up:

5 Likes

Seen some good Audi A4 leases as well. TLX too.

I just want to say I am so sorry this happened to your beautiful car, you must be devastated. I hope everything turns out ok that you are free and clear which you should be due to gap insurance that BMW pays for… anyway, sorry again to see this beautiful car destroyed like that.

1 Like

Exhibit no. 937 on why no one should believe the seller of an rebuilt/salvage titled car when they show pictures like the OP’s and claim it was just minor and/or exterior damage.

3 Likes