Success/HorrorStories with Swapalease?

Hey all - new to the forums here,

I was always raised to buy buy buy my cars. After realizing that I like to trade every 2-3 years and I started to do the math… this mindset really stopped making sense to me. Alas, here I am, ready to lease.

Naturally in my research I’ve come accross Swapalease/Leasetrader. I’ve read almost all of the forum posts here about these websites and really haven’t come across anything too bad with the services - so what’s the deal? Has anyone had any great success/horror stories with assuming someone else’s lease? Any specific things I should watch out for? Are there people out there who jump to a new car every year or so via these services?

Sounds like the biggest downside is the time investment/inability to get your “perfect” car, but I’d like to get any other feedback I can before I try my luck with these services. I am in CA and my plan is to acquire a lease from someone else in CA.

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi, welcome. Why are you inclined to go through those websites? Why not continue learning all the factors involved, and try to make a deal happen yourself?

Is it a time restraint, or prefer an easier process, or maybe doing a deal yourself isn’t for you? I’m genuinely interested and would like to understand your perspective.

1 Like

there really is no reason to assume a car if you’re in CA where the best lease deals happen.
Assuming a car comes with some element of risk, no matter how much you go through the checklist.
I’ve written extensively about this on this forum, you can do a search. I’ve successfully assumed and transferred cars on SAL but again…risk involved when assuming a car, less so in transferring to someone else. Also, most cars on there are too expensive from people who got into a bad deal and want out so most often you can do better. Unless you really only want a very short term lease, i suggest getting one from the dealer since you are in an ideal location.

The unspoken problem is the time it takes for the bank to transfer a lease from one person to another.

I once heard that a lot of listings on Leasetrader were stale, not sure if that is still the case.

Thank you all for responding.

@daveydave424 Multiple reasons. No down payment, the ability to make another swap in 1-2 years, possibly acquiring a lease with >1500 miles/month remaining, negotiating with people who are in a situation where they need to offload their vehicle early, etc. These are all reasons why I’m looking into this method of acquiring a car.

My goal by posting here is to learn more of the drawbacks/to hear others opinions. From your post I can definitely see that this is not your preferred method of acquisition and I’d like to learn more from you on why that’s the case.

@305Hackr I will look more into your posts to learn more about the CA deals / how your past deals have gone. I agree that most cars are way too expensive (I’m seeing some 328i/C300’s for >$800) but my goal is to look for the ones that aren’t (or where the previous leasee put a large sum down). Not sure yet if this is possible. Didn’t know that CA was that ideal though, will definitely look into it more.

@max_g From my research I’m leaning towards SAL myself (seems like some of the LT listings are a bit outdated). I’d realistically plan for a 4-6 week swap process - hopefully not too much longer then that.

You can easily do this by being the original lessee. No down payment is required and you can easily swap out of the lease with many brands.

Come on there are lots of reasons to acquire a lease particularly those that want short (<12 m) leases.

I would endorse the suggestion that most of the leases available for assumption reflect really bad deals.

Here is a Chevy Volt for $265, 10k/year, that I can obtain (also in NY) for about $159.

Lease swapping is more risky as you’re taking on someone else’s responsibility but with limited information into what they’ve done with the vehicle. To cover yourself you should get it checked over (especially the more the vehicle costs, and higher performance), which of course costs money, plus you’ll very likely need new tires, perhaps brakes as well.

I looked into lease swapping a 1 year old X5M but when you factor in the costs on a shorter lease term it often makes the deals much less attractive, especially with the added risks. To make it more complicated vehicles like BMW which have free maintenance don’t transfer to the next lessee. Lease swapping can work out though if you’re after a specific vehicle which used to lease well but no longer does.

you gonna take over someone’s lease during last 12 mo, that means that car has already been on the road for 2 years and you don’t know how it was driven/treated (and often you don’t even have a chance to inspect it personally because you’re shipping the car from out of state), you end up having to potentially pay for a set of tires, transfer fee in and dispo fee at end and maybe excess wear and tear damage to the car. It most often doesn’t work out, there are sometimes good deals but they are not abundantly available. I’ve had some success, but personally i would only dump my car on there if i don’t want it anymore, i wouldn’t really assume anything anymore unless it was a unicorn.

Assuming a lease sight unseen is incredibly risky. I don’t think anyone should do it unless money is not a primary concern - say they want one specific car for one year and are willing to pay extra to make it happen.

But generally I think buying a good used car (any swapalease would be used anyhow) and negoting a great price is a better idea for 12 months of ownership. Get one still under warranty and you shouldn’t have any repair bills. Then flip it when you are done.

I like new cars but I see no difference between a two year old lease and two year old car still under warranty.

You can get a Volt Premier for 159/mo with -0- OOP :thinking:

1 Like

I did a LeaseTrader with my BMW 335d when it was 2 years old and a local person wanted it just for 1 year.

They paid for a pre purchase inspection at a BMW dealer and all went well.

The leassee got an OK from BMW and leased the car within 30 days of starting the transfer.
All she paid was $500 to BMW for the credit check and transfer paperwork.
I met her at the dealership to do the swap where I picked up my BMW at the same time.
Filled out the DMV transfer notice and I was off the hook.
The next month she paid the lease payment and all went well.

I’ve used Swapalease multiple times and think it’s great, but like anything it comes with some pros/cons. Some other pros that haven’t been listed here is the ability to get the exact amount of mileage you need. For example, I rarely drive my second car, but I need one, so was able to get one with 200 miles/month and my monthly payment was significantly less than what I could get a new lease for after taking into account the incentive the original leasee provided.

The risks/cons are significant - most importantly you have to trust the person you are “swapping” with and document EVERYTHING. Yes, you can inspect the car, but they will likely have the car for another 1-2 weeks as the paperwork is being processed, but at that time you are committed to taking the car. I suggest putting together a small contract outlining the agreement including any incentive paid, expected mileage when the car is turned over and taking pictures of the car at inspection. I usually include scanned copies of our licenses and the lease agreement. ALWAYS ask to see the original lease agreement before submitting the application and don’t take their word on anything including mileage overage $, buyout or even what is included in their monthly payment. Keep in mind you do have an “out” after the credit application is submitted as there will be paperwork distributed to you then would need to go to the leasee which would require a signature and notary. Once you sign the paperwork and it’s notarized, the car is for all intents and purposes, yours once the transfer is completed. The lease transfer process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on how quickly you complete the paperwork. The finance company will notify you when the transfer is completed; suggest checking in daily once they have all the signatures so it doesn’t stay in the possession of the other person when you are technically responsible for it. When the vehicle is transferred, that is when the incentive should be paid, which also has an element of trust. Swapalease suggests using a escrow service if possible, but is rather pricey for what they do. Because of all this back and forth, I avoid doing a remote transfer even if an inspection company is involved.

Additionally, keep in mind transferring the lease is completely separate from the registration process. Every state is different, but typically the leasing company has to deliver the title DIRECTLY to your DMV in order for the vehicle to be registered since you don’t own the car. Since it’s already registered, there are no temp plates to be had. I had a major hiccup with US Bank where this took almost 2 months as the previous leasee changed states before it was transferred and the leasing company didn’t send the new title until after 50+ phones calls. Luckily, US Bank screwed up multiple times which I informed them about and had it documented via email, so they eventually reimbursed me for 2 lease payments via CFPB, but wouldn’t say that is typical. Keep in mind the lease is being paid one way or another so the leasing company has little incentive to expedite the registration/title process.

Taxes can have a huge implication on a lease transfer and can get complex because every state has different rules. Note that an in-state transfer is usually much easier for taxes and other aspects like titling/registration. For example, NYS tax is typically paid upfront, but they do NOT refund or allow you to apply the prorated amount to the tax to be collected from the new state if transferred out of state, so essentially you would be double taxed on that portion of the lease which could kill the deal. The title transfer and registration could be a few hundred bucks depending the state, while I once paid $6 for an in-state transfer for tags and registration.

I suggest you start the process 2 months in advance to when you need the car to ensure it gets processed in time and add take into account that cost when considering the benefits of assuming the lease. The process can get time consuming so don’t recommend taking really short leases (under 12 months) especially if out-of-state ones.

Dealing with the individual people on Swapalease is a mixed bag and some people have the right expectations, while others think you should pay what they paid, no matter how bad their lease is. There is a Q7 on there now for $1,600/month in NYC as the current leasee likely rolled a different lease into the agreement and she wasn’t understanding no one would ever pay that. I asked her for a $30K incentive to make it competitive and she almost had a heart attack. In the end, new car leases are fine for comparison, but ultimately you are getting a “used car” not a new car, so there needs to be significant incentive vs. walking in the dealership IMO. Yes, you are likely saving on acquisition and doc fees, but at the same time, closer to having to paying the disposition fee and responsible for the condition of the car including replacing tires if necessary. I also suggested monitoring Swapalease for a couple of weeks to see what cars are going for as they will switch to “pending” then “sold” before being removed from the site. Don’t fall in love with a car, figure out what you are willing to pay per month, ask for the incentive that would get you to that number, and be ready to walk if they are unwilling to accommodate.

Sometimes you just won’t be able to find the right car to fit your exact needs for the right price during a given time period so have a new car lease lined up as an alternative.

That was long winded, but just my experience. Hopefully this doesn’t scare you off as I’m going to potentially use Swapalease again right now, but just being upfront. Hit me up if you have specific questions about the process.

12 Likes

Hadn’t noticed it was a Premier, that is about $30 more a month. Sill no deal with the assumption of someone’s nearly two year old car.

Very nice and informative write-up. Thank you…

1 Like

Great and descriptive write-up. Thank you for your input - my big takeaways were:

1. Good deals are hard to find.
  2. The process is very slow.
  3. Transferring in/out of states is difficult (I fully plan to stay in CA).
  4. You never know how well the previous owner took of the car (I’ll try to make sure there’s good wear/tear protection/do a thorough inspection if I end up going through).

I’m definitely going to take all of this in mind as I scan SAL over the coming weeks for a decent deal.

My pleasure.

Note that certain maintenance and wear and tear coverage doesn’t transfer if it only covers the original owner.

One more thing to note on the “trust” factor - because you are both signing a single document, your personal information (including SSN) is visible to the other person.

1 Like

I have exited BMWFS, MBFS and Toyota Financial leases and I cannot recall being privy to anyone’s SSN.

The first two are done online by the assumer and while TFS does use paper, the assumer can take it and mail it directly

1 Like

I’ve definitely be privy to people’s SSN including via Ford and Jeep.

Not sure it’s much riskier than the kid getting $10/hour at the dealership filing your paperwork. :smile:

1 Like