Is Leasing a good option if I need 15K miles per year

Thanks mllcb42.

Yes, that is what I am running into. I can change mileage, msds,taxes but I don’t know the RV for 24 months. In any case, I’m assuming the price gets higher…just changing from 10K to 15K miles and removing the incentives on the BMW deals has added +130 already, LH score drops to 7.XX.

Ok, I will take a break and send PMs later.

Moving to 24 months will increase the cost in the vast majority of cases, but not always.

Edmunds can provide the 24 month RV

24 month leases working out better are typically the result of a very generous discount, high incentives and low interest rate.

2 Likes

Solicit quotes for an ES 350. I think you’ll find that model leases much better than an Avalon. Plenty of Lexus dealers in the Chicago suburbs. December is just around the corner…

In full disclosure, my car is dead and I’ve been renting for more months that I care to admit. Reason for renting is that I got a client(in consulting) that requires 100% on-site so I wasn’t sure how long this assignment would last. In the last 3 years, its been out-of-state clients so I’ve worked from home.

To see that I get a nicer car for 60% less than I’m paying right now is making me feel rushed but I don’t want to rush and force a deal. Found LH on 9/30 and it took me a while to understand that leasing an Avalon was just not a good option so I’ve been scrambling back to the drawing board to review and drive test most of the Oct car deals that are listed here.

Would Swaplease be a sorta-decent option for me to buy time and save more on renting? I spent time yesterday looking and found a couple of cars that have less than 9 months remaining close to me.
A Corolla for $250, 2016 ES350 $436, Fusion $300+…

Off to work, won’t be able to respond until the afternoon.

Thanks lovesick. I do love the interior of the ES350/RX350 but the Highlander prices seem better in comparison. I’ve thought about both.

Only issue with Swapalease is its not a extremely fast option… depending on the captive, it can take a couple of weeks or longer to transfer the lease AND get registration taken care of.

On the bright side, most broker deals on LH are better than what 95% of the public is getting, so you can always look to dump on Swapalease it if it’s not the perfect car for you. Keep in mind not every captive allows for transfer and/or has specific stipulations like you still stay liability which is a non-starter for most people.

Hi Britten440,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Is there a way to find out which captives don’t allow transfers or rather a list of captives and their requirements? I believe Infinity requires you to stay on the lease and still be liable (read a post here on this), so they are out for me.

One more thing, if I decide to go this route, what is the process? Should I have the car inspected?

If the captive doesn’t allow transfer they aren’t listed on Swapalease typically (Chase/Subaru). Nissan/Infiniti & VW/Audi are the two I know of where you are still liable.

I wrote a long post about my experience with Swapalease which may help:

Success/HorrorStories with Swapalease?

Lease transfers, especially Toyota financial ones, are too slow for your situation.

You’re better off starting a new lease.

Mt first lease was a 15K/27month Cherokee. Worked out well for me.

Swapalease….eh. I exited my X3 early through them. My Lexus it felt like they were extorting me and intentionally preventing a transfer. I’ve never worked with a company that worked so hard to interfere.

Here is their list repository: Lease Company Information | Swapalease.com

Volvo, Acura/Honda do not allow transfers. The latter 2 you often have equity during the lease so you can sell it outright for the payoff depending on miles.

All of my leases except the current one were 15K per year. I did add an extended warranty on the three with turbos or hybrids for peace of mind, no regrets. The Subaru safe and secure on my WRX had a prorated refund after disposition. The three non-turbo/non-hybrids I rolled the dice on.

I am convinced for luxury cars that 15K a year leases on a vehicle in warranty the entire lease duration is the sweet spot. I never realized that until I found this site and ran the numbers - always thought I drove too much to lease. Turns out I drove too much to not be leasing

Usually there is only a 3% lower residual for the benefit of 50% more miles a year available to drive vs. 10K/year

Instead of trying to worry about unloading an out of warranty/style 4 year old car with 60K miles or a 6 year albatross approaching 100k miles… hand the keys back in and rinse/repeat

Salex tax, depreciation curves and driving out of warranty by owning a luxury car is usually a killer

4 Likes

That last point could not be more true…I’ve generally had good luck with CPO Luxury cars but my last one bit me hard on repairs after CPO warranty expired which is what lead me to consider leasing over CPO’s as well as the added benefit of having the latest and greatest for a lower payment than owning a fast depreciating asset.

1 Like

Just repeat and you will be good for another 18 years. You are not a tired car shopper. You are a great car shopper.
A lot of us can’t keep spouses in good running order for 18 years!!!

2 Likes

Let me guess: Honda civic manual transmission?

1 Like

My spouse takes alot more maintenance than all the vehicles I have ever owned combined (that’s probably the way it’s supposed to be).

1 Like

Humans are generally money pits.

Source: Self.

3 Likes